News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 339871 times)
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #140 on: September 25, 2005, 08:45:30 AM »

1  If I Fell
2  I am Happy Just To Dance With you
3  Tell Me Why

I love I Call Your Name, has a splendid change of time in the solo section  :-\

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2005, 11:35:38 AM »

"

Anyway.. that leads me kinda nicely up till nearly two years ago when a band I was working with were hired to play at Pauls daughters wedding.. Some of you know this story so I'll keep it short.. Enough to say that we were very excited by the prospect.. There were many big names in attendance and we were treated very well by everyone, but the surprise of the night came when half way thru' the set Paul jumped up onstage with us and launched into "I Saw Her Standing There" Amazing experience. He did another three songs with us including Long Tall Sally.. I sat there playing away hardly believing that after all these years a Beatle was actually standing there in front of me singing. (His voice is still superb by the way).
Anyway, afterwards he chatted for ages about musicians he's worked with over the years and his early influences. A lovely fella and after the show he told us to have a drink on him and enjoy the evening...Which of course we did... ;)

So as you can imagine.. this little beat combo have had a huge influence on me.. and continue to do so.  ;D

WOW   Gant that far out strips anything I have in my memory.    What a truly wonderful experience and congratulations on being great enough to be asked to play at Paul's daughter's wedding.    Ringo is one of the best drummers in keeping in time perhaps Belson and Krupa are the only ones I would consider better.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2005, 12:25:42 PM »

Not sure about that Lin.. Seein' the fab 4 live must be the tops.  ;D  I was definitely struck by how charming, down to earth and friendly Paul was. Made us all feel totaly at ease. Very funny fella too.. ;D

I really dig musicians that put their own stamp on their work. There were loads of great drummers around in the 60's but Ringo's style is instantly recognisable. Thats the true measure of greatnes I think..

Belson, Krupa, Rich.. all Gods in my book.... ;D

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2005, 05:34:26 PM »

I pulled out some of my vinyl Beatle albums today and was playing them after not playing them for a good 5 years or so and was surprised how great they still sound.I have looked after them,and there's no crackles on the records and they sound as if brand new.I was thinking of buying their original studio albums on CD(yes it's true I don't have them on CD  :-[),but I don't think they could sound any better.I always have arguments at work about the vinyl VS CD sound quality and I think if you look after your vinyl albums there's not much difference.Also the album cover is nice and big and notes on the back are easy to read,( are they on the CD ?).
I also noticed on the Please Please Me album that the song credits are listed as McCartney - Lennon.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2005, 06:05:48 PM »

I prefer the CDs, but then... my vinyl albums are full of pops and crackles. I'd never part with them, and have kept the covers, at least, in great condition. The Beatles CDs are the original U.K. versions of their records, in the way they wanted them packaged. The Beatles were never happy with what Capitol Records did to their recordings by putting less songs on each album, changing the order of the songs, etc. (Which is why they posed for the "Butcher" cover for "Yesterday and Today"). That's what they thought of Capitol.

As far as sound quality, I couldn't tell you if the CDs are really better than a pristine vinyl album. I do love the CDs though. The album notes are within the CDs in booklets, and of course you don't have to flip your record, and can set up your CD platter to play Beatles indefinitely...  which is better than having to go over and flip the record over every 18 minutes.

Do you have all the Beatles albums on vinyl, tgy? Maybe you might be interested in starting with the "Past Masters", Vol. 1 or Vol. 2 (similar to the "Rarities" U.S. album, but with more material). If they sound better to you, slowly build up your CD collection, and keep those vinyl albums in the excellent condition they're in.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2005, 06:34:01 PM »

That ends Round 10, and we lose "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You" and "If I Fell".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND ELEVEN

This round, we continue with songs from 1964's "A Hard Day's Night" and the remaining songs ("Matchbox" and "Slow Down") from the "Long Tall Sally" EP.

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "A Hard Day's Night" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney
2.  "Matchbox"" (Perkins); Lead vocal: Starr
3.   "I'll Cry Instead" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon
4.   "Slow Down" (Williams); Lead vocal: Lennon
5.   "I'll Be Back" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

NOTE:  You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2005, 06:55:20 PM »

Do you have all the Beatles albums on vinyl, tgy?

Yeah,also Live at the Hollywood Bowl,the Red and Blue albums,the two rarities albums and a few compilation albums.

Maybe you might be interested in starting with the "Past Masters", Vol. 1 or Vol. 2 (similar to the "Rarities" U.S. album, but with more material).

Good idea  O0
I do have the album "1" on CD and that sounded fine so I'll probably get around to getting everything else on CD eventually.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 07:08:33 PM by tgy » Logged

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2005, 07:10:51 PM »

1- I'll Cry Instead
2- I'll Be Back
3- Matchbox

Getting harder with each round.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2005, 07:39:36 PM »

tgy, my choices are quite a bit different from yours this round.

1) Matchbox
2) I'll Be Back
3) Slow Down

« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 04:26:16 AM by Matt » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2005, 11:22:06 PM »

I find it easier when covers of other peoples songs are involved...

1   Matchbox
2   Slow Down
3   I'll Be Back

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #150 on: September 26, 2005, 01:36:49 AM »

1. Slow down
2. Matchbox

3. I'll be back.

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2005, 03:46:18 AM »

1. Matchbox
2. Slow down
3. I'll Cry Instead

Sorry I missed last round.

AOL media player was acting up, sounded like Pinky and Perky sings the Beatles ( not sure if folks outside UK will get that - Alvin and the Chipmunks for US members )

I have not heard I Call Your Name before - still haven't properly  ::)

Gant big respect for you and your band playing with Paul , great story to tell children, grandchildren etc.... O0

I only bought singles in the 60s - just a wee laddie then.

In the 70s I bought the red and blue compilations, blagged my aunties copy of Sgt Pepper and a pals white album (had to give them back).
Joined the Royal Marines in 1980 and bought cassetes of Revolver and Magical Mystery Tour, strangely Revolver tracks were in different order than the vinyl. ???
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #152 on: September 26, 2005, 04:15:20 AM »

I have not heard I Call Your Name before - still haven't properly  ::)

You'll get a chance to hear it again later in the game, since it wasn't eliminated.

blagged my aunties copy of Sgt Pepper and a pals white album (had to give them back).

I still have my brother's "Abbey Road" album.
[email protected]mus

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #153 on: September 26, 2005, 06:32:25 AM »

As far as sound quality, I couldn't tell you if the CDs are really better than a pristine vinyl album. I do love the CDs though. The album notes are within the CDs in booklets, and of course you don't have to flip your record, and can set up your CD platter to play Beatles indefinitely...  which is better than having to go over and flip the record over every 18 minutes

I remember an Interview to George Harrison several years ago, the first time The Beatles albums were edited in Cd format.
He said that the new format was awesome, indeed. But he found some things:  The Beatles never mixed its songs in this new way and even the eq of their instuments were different, sound different.
I remember some of his last words is this interview:....Great, but not are us
I still keep the vinyl albums ::)

Now back to voting:

1- I'll Cry Instead
2- I'll Be Back
3- Matchbox

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2005, 09:47:15 AM »

1. Matchbox
2. I'll Be Back
3. Slow Down

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2005, 07:52:40 PM »

That ends Round 11. Say goodbye to "Matchbox" and "I'll Be Back".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND TWELVE

This round, we finish with songs from "A Hard Day's Night". The last two songs this round are from the "Beatles For Sale" album, released on November 27, 1964.

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "Things We Said Today" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney
2.  "When I Get Home" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison
3.   "Any Time At All" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison
4.   "Baby's In Black" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney
5.   "I'm A Loser" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

NOTE:  You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2005, 08:25:36 PM »

My votes this round:

1) "Baby's in Black"
2) "I'm A Loser"
3) "Things We Said Today"
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire