News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 340581 times)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #320 on: October 08, 2005, 10:39:11 PM »

This round is just too hard.   I don't want to vote any of them off.

I guess it will have to be this way.
1   She Said She Said     
2    When I am 64.    I really don't want to vote that one off but I can't bring myself to vote for the others  and
3   Strawberry Fields Forever   This goes in the number three spot because I hope no one else will vote it off.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #321 on: October 09, 2005, 12:43:12 AM »

Toughest round so far....... gotta be careful here.

1   When I'm 64
2   Good Day Sunshine

3   Here, There And Everywere  (I do like this one.. hope it stays)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #322 on: October 09, 2005, 04:21:06 AM »

This is an easy round.  Paul's lightweights must go...

1 When I'm Sixty-Four
2 Good Day Sunshine
3 Here, There and Everywhere

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #323 on: October 09, 2005, 04:32:16 AM »

Agree with Gant and Doug this round:

1) When I'm 64
2) Good Day Sunshine
3) Here, There and Everywhere

3 Here, There And Everywere (I do like this one.. hope it stays)

Me too. It's one of Paul's most beautiful love songs.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #324 on: October 09, 2005, 04:33:04 AM »

2    When I am 64.    I really don't want to vote that one off but I can't bring myself to vote for the others

I was happy to. It's the only sore spot for me on the Sgt. Pepper's album. I can't find the remote to forward past it quickly enough.

It sounds like something he'd normally pass on to Ringo to sing, but on Sgt. Pepper's Ringo already has a song, and it's actually a good one.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 04:37:14 AM by Matt » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #325 on: October 09, 2005, 04:52:54 AM »

1- Good Day Sunshine
2- When I'm 64
3- Here There And Everywhere

Matt,thanks for posting that story about Yellow Submarine and the link to the song Here Today.
tgy, I had just looked up "Yellow Submarine" in the A Hard Day's Write book, to see what the story was behind that song, and then happened to come here to find your question. What a wild coincidence.

Great minds think alike. :D

They were playing a lot of Lennon stuff on the radio today and whenever I hear Beautiful Boy and the line:
I can hardly wait
To see you come of age
But I guess we’ll both just have to be patient

It gives me goosebumps.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #326 on: October 09, 2005, 09:12:42 AM »

1. When I'm 64
2. She Said, She Said
3. Here, There And Everywhere

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #327 on: October 09, 2005, 12:36:45 PM »

With the band we did in a pub our homage to Lennon, a complete set of Lennon's songs for his  65th birthday; God bless you JL :-\

Back to bussiness, now its getting hard:

1. When I'm 64
2. She Said, She Said

3. Good Day Sunshine

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #328 on: October 09, 2005, 01:52:10 PM »

1. When I'm 64 (Paul begins to scratch that vaudeville itch)

2. Good Day Sunshine

3. Here There and Everywhere

Old Macca took a beating there  ::)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #329 on: October 09, 2005, 01:58:46 PM »

Old Macca took a beating there  ::)

Yup, he sure did.

Since we've got "Strawberry Fields Forever" in this round, does anyone believe that John is actually saying "cranberry sauce" at the very end? I've listened to it a gazillion times, trying to hear "cranberry sauce", but no... it sounds like "I...  buried ... Paul" to me.

Which, is basically what he's doing this round.  ;)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #330 on: October 09, 2005, 08:16:18 PM »

That ends Round 24. This time we lose "When I'm Sixty-Four" and "Good Day Sunshine".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND TWENTY-FIVE

This round, we'll hear the "A" side to the "Penny Lane" single, and four more songs from the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album.

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "Penny Lane" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon
2.  "A Day In The Life" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney
3.  "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon
4.   "Good Morning Good Morning" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney
5.   "Fixing A Hole" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney

Some of the songs in this and future rounds will seem to abruptly cut off because the Beatles started running their tracks together. For instance, "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" runs directly into "With A Little Help From My Friends". Singling out the songs like we need to do for this game does make the beginnings and ends of some of these songs sound abrupt (I'm dreading Side 2 of Abbey Road) but they sound great when you listen to the whole album side together. Keep that in mind when "scoring" the songs if you're not familiar with the full albums.

"A Day In The Life" is the final song on the Sgt. Pepper's album, but it's followed by a few seconds of chatter. On the CD, the "run-out groove" is tacked onto the same track number as "A Day in the Life", so that's included here.  (I don't know how to edit sound files, so I couldn't stop the track early). For any who are curious, here's what it says about that run-out groove in the album notes from the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band CD:

The very end of the album typifies the advanced studio trickery applied throughout Sgt. Pepper. After the last droplets of the crashing piano chord of "A Day in the Life" have evaporated, come a few seconds of 15 kilocycle tone, put there--especially to annoy your dog--at the request of John Lennon. Then, as the coup de grace, there is a few seconds of nonsense Beatle chatter, taped, cut into several pieces and stuck back together at random so that, as George Martin says, purchasers of the vinyl album who did not have an auto return on their record player would say "What the hell's that?" and find the curious noise going on and on ad infinitum in the concentric run-out groove.

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #331 on: October 09, 2005, 08:24:26 PM »

The songs are getting longer, and Geocities will probably be hanging up more often than before because of the size of the files. Just try the links again later if you get an error message. The site should automatically come back up on its own within the hour.

Here are my votes this round:

1) Fixing a Hole
2) Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (hopefully I won't have to vote off the Reprise so quickly, but man... look at the competition this round!  :-[
3) Penny Lane

I had to keep "Good Morning Good Morning" (I've always loved this song) and "A Day in the Life" so Paul's songs take another hit. Sorry Paul.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #332 on: October 09, 2005, 08:30:48 PM »

1- Fixing A Hole
2-Good Morning Good Morning
3- Penny Lane

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #333 on: October 09, 2005, 11:17:05 PM »

Yay!  A round I can play.   ;D  ((I couldn't download the songs, so I had to wait for ones I knew.))

This is a tough one Matt!

1.  "Fixing A Hole"
2.  "Penny Lane"
3.  "Good Morning, Good Morning"

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #334 on: October 10, 2005, 12:49:56 AM »

1. Good Morning Good Morning
2. Fixing A Hole
3. Sgt Pepper

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #335 on: October 10, 2005, 01:08:56 AM »

1. Fixing a Hole
2. Good Morning, Good Morning
3. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #336 on: October 10, 2005, 03:09:36 AM »

What a depressing round!  I was lulled into a false sense of security by the easy last round and by the fact that Sgt. Pepper contains quite a few songs I'm not really crazy about, but oh no! now I'm faced with having to vote off songs I really love so early on.  "Fixing A Hole" is easily my favorite Paul song on Sgt. Pepper, and I have a feeling it's going to be voted off.  Well, let's get to work...

1 Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2 Penny Lane
3 Good Morning, Good Morning (Ugh, I hate to do it...)

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #337 on: October 10, 2005, 03:58:43 AM »

1. Good Morning Good Morning
2. Fixing A Hole
3. Sgt Pepper  :'(

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #338 on: October 10, 2005, 04:28:26 AM »

Yay!  A round I can play.   ;D  ((I couldn't download the songs, so I had to wait for ones I knew.))

Glad to see you here, Ches. :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #339 on: October 10, 2005, 04:42:02 AM »

"Fixing A Hole" is easily my favorite Paul song on Sgt. Pepper, and I have a feeling it's going to be voted off. 

We're both gonna be sad at the end of this round. It's looking bad for "Fixing a Hole" and "Good Morning Good Morning".
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 116 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T