News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 339662 times)
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #380 on: October 13, 2005, 01:48:48 PM »

1. All Together Now
2. Baby You're A Rich Man
3. You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #381 on: October 13, 2005, 04:45:27 PM »

1. You Know My Name ( Look Up The Number )
2. It's All Too Much
3. Altogether Now
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #382 on: October 13, 2005, 08:53:19 PM »

That ends Round 28. This time we lose "All Together Now" and "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND TWENTY-NINE

All the songs this round are from the Magical Mystery Tour album.

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "Your Mother Should Know" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon and Harrison
2.  "I Am The Walrus" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon
3.  "Blue Jay Way" (Harrison); Lead vocal: Harrison
4.   "Flying" (Lennon/McCartney/Harrison/Starkey); Lead vocal: None
5.   "The Fool On The Hill" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 06:22:16 AM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #383 on: October 13, 2005, 09:34:52 PM »

1) Your Mother Should Know (Sorry [email protected], but I don't like this one)
2) Flying

3) Blue Jay Way

Does anyone know anything about new DVD releases for Help, Magical Mystery Tour and Let it Be? I know tgy and I were complaining about wanting Let it Be not long ago, but is there any release information on it? I've been watching the Anthology DVD again, and am getting a real hankering for these three movies that I haven't gotten yet. On Anthology, you can see the videos for "The Fool On The Hill" and "I Am the Walrus" from Magical Mystery Tour, which makes this movie worth getting, even if the rest of it is bloody awful. (I honestly can't remember if I've ever actually seen it. If I have, it was too long ago to recall.)

I've found DVDs of Help and Magical Mystery Tour on eBay, but I'm not sure if they're all bootlegs or not. Let it Be is available too, but has it ever even been released on DVD? I'm beginning to think I'll buy them even if they are copies if there's no other alternative.

Wouldn't a Beatles box set of their five films be fantastic? (One can dream....)
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #384 on: October 13, 2005, 09:41:55 PM »

Must admit I'm not a big fan of any of these, but hey, they are the Beatles and I am fan of them so....

Your Mother should know sounds like vaudeville or something from the teens or '20's...

I kind of like the instrumental Flying but still lacking the vocals leave something to be desired.

Blue Jay Way, what kind of drug induced song is this???

The Fool on the Hill is good but still no where near their best.

I am the Walrus.  I must tell you I burned out on this song on the radio growing up.

"I am the egg man, I am the Walrus, Coo, Coo, Ch choo". :D
What is that??  ???
Even So I must vote to leave it on the island...

So I go with:

Blue Jay Way
Your Mother Should Know
Flying
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 09:49:46 PM by D'Ambrosia » Logged
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #385 on: October 14, 2005, 12:45:52 AM »

:) Here are my choices :

1 Blue Jay Way
2 Flying

3 Your mother should know

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #386 on: October 14, 2005, 01:13:59 AM »

1. Flying
2. Your Mother Should Know
3. Blue Jay Way

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #387 on: October 14, 2005, 04:38:05 AM »

1- Flying
2- Blue Jay Way
3- Your Mother Should Know

Magical Mystery Tour is available here on DVD and is only $9.95 at ezydvd

alas no word on Help or Let It Be.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #388 on: October 14, 2005, 04:38:35 AM »

1 Blue Jay Way
2 Flying

3 Your mother should know  ( :-[ No problem Matt. Anyway could it be sacrilege if I vote the Fool or Walrus)

"I am the egg man, I am the Walrus, Coo, Coo, Ch choo".

Top Secret information, just for your eyes D'Ambrosia :

The Walrus...was...Paul  ;D

This thread will be deleted after you read it  :D

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #389 on: October 14, 2005, 04:41:55 AM »

1 Your Mother Should Know
2 Flying
3 Blue Jay Way

"Your Mother Should Know" ranks way up there in my least favorite Beatles' songs.  Whereas "I Am the Walrus" might just be my favorite song by The Beatles, even if I have heard it ten-thousand times.

"I am the egg man, I am the Walrus, Coo, Coo, Ch choo". :D
What is that??  ???

Actually, the official lyrics are "I am the eggman/They are the eggmen/I am the walrus/GOO GOO GOO GOOB."  So I'm sure it makes perfect sense now, right?   See, you've been hearing it wrong all these years... ;)  It's time to rediscover the consummate lyrical nonsense that is "I Am the Walrus."  

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #390 on: October 14, 2005, 09:29:11 AM »

Blue Jay Way
2   Your Mother Should Know
3    Flying.
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #391 on: October 14, 2005, 10:48:56 AM »

1. Flying
2. Blue Jay Way
3. Your Mother Should Know

I liked the promo film that was shown on Top of the Pops for The Fool On The Hill, I haven't seen it since then, anyone remember this?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #392 on: October 14, 2005, 12:41:54 PM »

I liked the promo film that was shown on Top of the Pops for The Fool On The Hill, I haven't seen it since then, anyone remember this?

Could it be the same promo film for "The Fool On the Hill" that's on the Anthology DVD. I thought it was from the Magical Mystery Tour film. But, maybe not. Unfortunately, they didn't include the full video in Anthology. Here's some screencaps:

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #393 on: October 14, 2005, 12:50:01 PM »

Filmed in france I believe,,,

Blue Jay Way
Your Mother Should Know

Flying

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #394 on: October 14, 2005, 01:48:33 PM »

Could it be the same promo film for "The Fool On the Hill" that's on the Anthology DVD. I thought it was from the Magical Mystery Tour film. But, maybe not. Unfortunately, they didn't include the full video in Anthology. Here's some screencaps:

That's the one Matt. I watched Anthology on TV and was hoping they would show the whole film. They didn't but even a hint took me back to my childhood, I haven't seen the full thing since. I don't remember seeing this in Magical Mystery but I can't remember that too well, except that I was very disappointed by it. O0
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #395 on: October 14, 2005, 03:14:13 PM »

Those last 4 screen caps are from The Fool on the Hill clip from Magical Mystery Tour film,not sure of the first 2.
I got out my old VHS copy of Magical Mystery Tour and fast forwarded to The fool on the hill clip ( thankfully it's at the 8 minute mark ) Hope this helps.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #396 on: October 14, 2005, 05:04:20 PM »

Beatles Top Entertainment Icons List

foxnews

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #397 on: October 14, 2005, 05:46:57 PM »

From tgy's link:

The Beatles — you remember them — have finished at No. 1 on a list of 100 all-time show business icons.

Yup, I'd say there's a few people here that remember them.  ;)

This round is one of the most surprising for me. I just can't believe that "Your Mother Should Know" is going to survive and go further into the game. I'm with Doug on this one... it's quite possibly my very least favorite Beatles song--either that or one of Paul's other hokey numbers ("Maxwell's Silver Hammer" I'm looking at you...)

Judging by John's maniacal grin through the entire "Your Mother Should Know" video, I'd guess he wasn't too much a fan of the song either.

D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #398 on: October 14, 2005, 06:31:38 PM »

Top Secret information, just for your eyes D'Ambrosia :

The Walrus...was...Paul  ;D

This thread will be deleted after you read it  :D

Thanks for that Top Secret insight [email protected] ;)

This post will self destruct in 10 seconds...9...8....7... :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #399 on: October 14, 2005, 07:20:37 PM »

That ends Round 29. This time we lose "Blue Jay Way" and "Flying".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND THIRTY

This round, we'll hear the last song recorded for the Magical Mystery Tour album ("Hello Goodbye") the A and B sides to the "Lady Madonna" single, released on March 15, 1968:

We'll also hear "Across the Universe", which was recorded February 4, 1968, but wouldn't be released on a Beatles album until Let It Be, more than two years later. I've linked to the most common version of "Across the Universe" from the Let It Be album for voting purposes, but threw in a bonus link of the Let It Be... Naked version for fun. The Naked version doesn't include the orchestra and backing vocals added on by Let it Be producer, Phil Spector.

And, finally, the final song this round is the last song recorded for the Yellow Submarine album, "Hey Bulldog".

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "Hello Goodbye" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon and Harrison
2.  "The Inner Light" (Harrison); Lead vocal: Harrison
3.  "Lady Madonna" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney
4.   "Across the Universe" and bonus   "Across the Universe" (Naked version) (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon
5.   "Hey Bulldog" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 07:43:34 PM by Matt » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 116 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T