News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 340575 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #480 on: October 21, 2005, 01:17:37 PM »

Interesting stuff.  :)

Believe it or not, when I was typing up the links for this round, I thought to myself, "Better check that it's not BUNGALOW Bill." Then said to myself, "Nah, it's Buffalo Bill for sure." I could even HEAR it in my head...  so I didn't check.  :-[

Lucky Punk, maybe you can shed some light on the "Not Alf!" in "The Sheik of Araby". What's THAT about?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 07:12:19 PM by Matt » Logged
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #481 on: October 21, 2005, 02:27:43 PM »

1. The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill
2. Savoy Truffle
3. Martha My Dear

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #482 on: October 21, 2005, 08:02:36 PM »

2- The Continuing Story of Buffalo Bill

I can't believe I didn't realize "buffalo" was wrong when I was posting. :-[

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #483 on: October 21, 2005, 08:13:55 PM »

That ends Round 36. This time we lose "Martha My Dear" and "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND THIRTY-SEVEN

This round, we finish The Beatles (The White Album), and then hear the first three songs recorded for the Let It Be album. Let It Be was originally conceived as a TV movie that would show the Beatles in the studio working on their newest songs, and ending with footage of a live performance of the completed songs. The already fractured relationships of the four Beatles deteriorated further from the stress and dissatisfaction of the project. In order to just "get it done", they opted instead of planning a big concert, to perform a makeshift concert on the rooftop of Apple Studios at 3 Savile Row. After all four Beatles, and their producer George Martin had lost interest in finishing the project, the material for the album was given to Phil Spector to see if he could make anything of it; thus, Let It Be would be the only Beatles album that was not produced by George Martin. Although the filming took place in January, 1969, the album and film wouldn't be released until after their final album, Abbey Road, was released. By then, The Beatles had already officially broken up. The Beatles reluctantly agreed to release Let It Be in theaters in order to recoup the costs of the production. The film and album for Let It Be were released on May 8, 1970.

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney
2.  "Julia" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon
3.  "Maggie Mae"" (Traditional arr. Lennon/McCartney/Harrison/Starkey); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney
4.   "For You Blue" (Harrison); Lead vocal: Harrison
5.   "Dig It" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 08:22:56 PM by Matt » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #484 on: October 21, 2005, 08:22:00 PM »

1- Why Don't We Do It In The Road
2- Dig It
3- Maggie Mae

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #485 on: October 21, 2005, 08:26:07 PM »

1) Maggie Mae
2) Dig It

3) Why Don't We Do It In The Road

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #486 on: October 21, 2005, 08:58:37 PM »

Has anyone seen the Paul McCartney commercial for (I think) a stockbroker firm? It starts out with recent footage of Paul (I think driving a boat):  VOICEOVER:  "This is Paul."  It then goes to footage of him when he was a Beatle...   VOICEOVER: "Paul was a Beatle.... a solo artist, a Wing, a father, a statesman...." etc. (I can't remember it all, and may have some of this slightly wrong.) It shows short videos and pictures of him as it sums up his career in about 25 seconds. Then it ends with some line like, "Never stop believing in what you can do..." and there's the stockbroker's firm's name.

I guess Paul was afraid people wouldn't be buying his new album, so he decided to do a shameless plug (and in true McCartney frugal fashion... a co-op ad at that!) to make sure the younger generation would know who Paul McCartney was.

(Note to Paul: The kids won't be buying your new album anyway! Those who will buy it are those of us who already know who you are, and we don't need to be reminded of what you've done and how well you toot your own horn. You're Paul McCartney... that's all that really needs to be said.)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #487 on: October 21, 2005, 09:14:36 PM »

Matt, I've seen that ad ... it's one of a series for Fidelity Investments. The other people in the series were anonymous "ordinary people." The ads showed how they played different roles at different times in their lives. Presumably smart investments helped shore them up along the way. The text for Paul (who probably didn't need much help from a brokerage firm) goes like this ...
This is Paul. He's been a Quarryman, Beatle, Wing, poet, father, front man, producer, business mogul, painter and, if that weren't enough, a knight. The key is, never stop doing what you love.

Here's a press release from Fidelity ... http://content.members.fidelity.com/Inside_Fidelity/fullStory/1,,5845,00.html

Paul McCartney and Fidelity Investments Announce Marketing Partnership
Music Legend Debuts in New Fidelity Ad Launching Tomorrow

BOSTON - Sept. 7, 2005 - He has been a Beatle, Wing, painter, poet, father, producer, and knight, and if that weren't enough, Paul McCartney will be featured in a national advertising campaign to help Fidelity Investments address the ever-changing financial needs of investors. The campaign debuts with a 30-second television ad Thursday, September 8, during the first half of ABC's Monday Night Football when the Oakland Raiders play the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium.

The ad, titled "This is Paul," takes viewers on a chronological tour of McCartney's life and notable accomplishments. The addition of a celebrity is a new dimension to Fidelity's award-winning campaign that tells the stories of investors through personal milestones using musical backdrops that appeal to all ages.

Created by Fidelity's agency, Arnold Worldwide, the ad is one element of a partnership between Paul McCartney and Fidelity that includes co-sponsorship of McCartney's sold-out, 11-week 'US' tour launching September 16 in Miami, and coinciding with the September 13 release of his 20th studio album, "Chaos And Creation in the Backyard." In addition, a major campaign to raise awareness and funds to benefit school music education programs will be announced later this month.

"I'm really pleased to be working with Fidelity Investments," said Paul McCartney. "We have a lot in common - a commitment to helping people, a dedication to the arts, and a belief that you should never stop doing what you love."

"Generations have grown up with Paul McCartney," said Robert L. Reynolds, vice chairman and chief operating officer, Fidelity Investments. "People continue to be inspired by how he approaches life -- with confidence, innovation and a long-term view. He's the perfect partner for Fidelity to help investors transition to the next chapter in their lives."

"This is Paul" will also debut in Canada on September 8 during CSI: Crime Scene Investigation on the CTV Network. The campaign will continue on several major network and cable prime time shows, national newspapers in the U.S. and Canada, as well as print and spot TV in key tour markets to coincide with McCartney's concert dates.

... and some commentary, from Slate.com ...
http://slate.msn.com/id/2126568/?nav=navoa

... more from Boston.com (Fidelity is based in Boston) ...
http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2005/09/08/brand_on_the_run/

... and Newsday ,,,
http://www.newsday.com/business/custom/retirement/ny-etrail4458131oct08,0,2407815.story?coll=ny-retirement-headlines

To further emphasize its point, the spot ends with the narrator saying, "Call us. We'll help you plan for the next part of your life." It must have made the same pitch to McCartney: To land the 63-year-old musician, Fidelity agreed to sponsor the musician's tour. (Lexus also is a sponsor, and the song "Fine Line," from McCartney's new album, is being used in one of the carmaker's commercials.)

The commercial is a departure for Fidelity, which typically uses everyday people in its retirement-service adds. It's unknown whether any of them had 11-week U.S. concert tours planned as the "next part" of their lives.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #488 on: October 21, 2005, 09:17:28 PM »

Hey thanks, KC!  O0

The ad neglected to say that bad investments by Paul (Apple Corps) nearly bankrupted the Beatles.

This is a good line, though:  "The key is, never stop doing what you love."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #489 on: October 21, 2005, 09:18:18 PM »

Well, maybe he should have teamed up with Fidelity sooner! 
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #490 on: October 22, 2005, 03:18:55 AM »

1 Maggie Mae
2 Dig It
3 Julia

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #491 on: October 22, 2005, 04:45:49 AM »

1   Why Don't We Do It In The Road
2   Dig It

3   Maggie May

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #492 on: October 22, 2005, 05:22:49 AM »

1) Maggie Mae
2) Dig It

3) Why Don't We Do It In The Road

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #493 on: October 22, 2005, 08:22:58 AM »

1. Dig It
2. Maggie Mae
3. Julia

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #494 on: October 22, 2005, 08:29:27 AM »

1   Why Don't We Do It In The Road
2    Dig It

3   Julia
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #495 on: October 22, 2005, 05:24:17 PM »

1. Why Don't We Do It In The Road
2. Maggie Mae
3. Dig It

Lucky Punk, maybe you can shed some light on the "Not Alf!" in "The Sheik of Araby". What's THAT about?

I haven't heard all the Decca demo, just snippets on tv Anthology. Any links to a site where I can hear it in full ?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #496 on: October 22, 2005, 07:07:10 PM »

You asked for it, you got it: The Sheik of Araby.

This is from the Decca audition, included on Anthology 1, and the notes about the song say: "... The Beatles were inspired by a cheeky, chirpy rock and roll version by Joe Brown, consequently their Decca performance had humour to the fore, right from the beat-style Arabic mood-setting kick-off through to the humorous John-Paul "not arf's".

Somewhere else (don't remember where it was, now) had written about the song and said the "Not Alf's" were "hysterical". I never got the joke. I figured the saying must be some Liverpool pop-culture that I'd never heard of.

So, "not arf" or "Not Alf", either way... it's never made sense to me.  Unless they're just supposed to sound funny, and it means nothing at all.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #497 on: October 22, 2005, 08:04:53 PM »

That ends Round 37. This time we lose "Dig It" and "Maggie Mae".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND THIRTY-EIGHT

This round, we continue with songs from the Let It Be album, as well as the B-side to the "Get Back" single, "Don't Let Me Down", released in the U.K. on April 11, 1969:

I've included a link for the Let It Be... Naked version of "The Long and Winding Road" in addition to the Spector-produced version on the original Let It Be album because the two versions are so different. For voting purposes, we should probably all vote with the original (Spector) version in mind. If I haven't included a link to one of the songs from Let It Be... Naked that you feel is much different or much improved from the original Let It Be, let me know and I'd be happy to upload the song for others to hear it who may not have the album. This round, I've only listed the "Get Back" version from the Let It Be album, though the single version is different and included on Past Masters Vol. Two. (Why not both versions, you ask? Because the World Series is on, and I've already lost this very-nearly completed post once tonight. If anyone wants to hear the single version, I'll be happy to upload it for you later tonight or tomorrow.  :))

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "The Long and Winding Road" Bonus: "The Long and Winding Road" - Naked version (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney
2.  "Get Back" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney
3.  "Don't Let Me Down" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney
4.   "I've Got a Feeling" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon
5.   "One After 909" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon and McCartney

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #498 on: October 22, 2005, 08:09:35 PM »

Man, it's rockin' in this house tonight! I absolutely LOVE this album. Although maligned as one of the weakest Beatles albums by critics and many fans, I just think it's awesome. I love hearing John and Paul jamming together like they did in the "old" days, singing together and seemingly having a great time together. Even though the sessions were so tiring and discontenting for the Beatles, it doesn't sound it to me when I listen to these tracks. I hear so much energy and enthusiasm here. It's probably my favorite Beatles album, and is definitely the one I listen to the most.

tgy asked before which album we prefered... Naked, or the original. I don't really know. I've listened to the original so much, and there isn't a single song I don't enjoy, or feel I have to skip over. In fact, I think this is the only album where there's not a Ringo track to spoil it! There are certainly differences in the tracks, but I love both versions... even the original "The Long and Winding Road".

Anyway... it'll be hard for me to vote this round. I'll need some time to think this round over.  :)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #499 on: October 22, 2005, 10:51:32 PM »

Matt says it will be hard to pick this round,  try IMPOSSIBLE.   I think this is going to take me all day.  One thing for certain The Long & Winding Road is not getting my vote!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 116 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T