News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 339421 times)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #500 on: October 23, 2005, 04:07:28 AM »

I can rank these songs pretty easily...*shrug*

1 One After 909
2 The Long and Winding Road
3 Get Back

I can't believe how close "Why Don't We Do It In the Road?" was to getting voted off against the half-songs "Dig It" and "Maggie Mae."   :o 

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #501 on: October 23, 2005, 04:15:39 AM »

1- One After 909
2- I've Got A Feeling
3- Don't Let Me Down

Just as bad as round 34.Not a bad song in the five.
Get back is my all time favorite Beatle song and The Long and Winding Road is up there too.One of my treasured possessions in my vinyl collection is the old 45 of Get Back which I found in second hand record shop in the late 80's in really good condition.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #502 on: October 23, 2005, 04:55:58 AM »

Toughest round for me so far I think......

1   One After 909
2   Don't Let Me Down

3   I've Got A Feeling

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #503 on: October 23, 2005, 07:46:20 AM »

1) The Long And Winding Road (Sorry, I never liked, specially the cheesy Spector version) I know the naked is best, but still have problems with this song)

2)  I've Got A Feeling  :-[

3)  Get Back  :'(

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #504 on: October 23, 2005, 08:13:44 AM »

1.I've Got A Feeling
2.One After 909
3.Don't Let Me Down

You asked for it, you got it: The Sheik of Araby.

;D Thanks Matt  :D

It sounds like "not 'arf" as in not half. This is a phrase used in music hall and the Carry On films - they are certainly impersonating Kenneth Williams, a regular in Carry On films and BBC radio comedy, in their delivery. The phrase is used to stress a point, usually lewd e.g.

"She's got a nice pair"
"Not 'arf" ::)

Not sure of an American equivalent, possibly "dead right".

The phrase was also employed to irritating effect by Alan "fluff" Freeman the DJ who hosted the BBC radio chart show in the 60s. He had a habit of interupting songs with this phrase and other annoying phrases, usually drowning out intros or the end of a song. A friend of mine claimed this was to discourage home recording of the chart songs - I'm not sure if thats true
but it may explain the Beatles interupting their own tune with it, sending up Freeman's shtick.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #505 on: October 23, 2005, 08:25:44 AM »

1. I've got a feeling
2. One ater 909

3. Get back

Terrible choices today ! :-[ :'(

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #506 on: October 23, 2005, 09:25:25 AM »

Well, the votes this round have helped me make up my mind. I LOVE "One After 909" and "I've Got a Feeling"! C'mon folks, we can't lose both of them this round.  :'(  Can you sit still during "One After 909"? I think it's impossible.

1) The Long and Winding Road
2) Get Back

3) Don't Let Me Down

Love 'em all.... but I think "One After 909" and "I've Got a Feeling" are my favorites this round. Thank God "Two of Us" wasn't in this batch too.

EDIT: Keep changing my mind. It's hard to throw any of these off in the first run-through.  :(
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 10:39:44 AM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #507 on: October 23, 2005, 09:41:02 AM »

It sounds like "not 'arf" as in not half. This is a phrase used in music hall and the Carry On films - they are certainly impersonating Kenneth Williams, a regular in Carry On films and BBC radio comedy, in their delivery. The phrase is used to stress a point, usually lewd e.g.

"She's got a nice pair"
"Not 'arf" ::)

Not sure of an American equivalent, possibly "dead right".

The phrase was also employed to irritating effect by Alan "fluff" Freeman the DJ who hosted the BBC radio chart show in the 60s. He had a habit of interupting songs with this phrase and other annoying phrases, usually drowning out intros or the end of a song. A friend of mine claimed this was to discourage home recording of the chart songs - I'm not sure if thats true
but it may explain the Beatles interupting their own tune with it, sending up Freeman's shtick.

Thank you!  O0

When you said "Fluff" Freeman, I recognized the name and found him on the The Beatles Live at the BBC CD trying to interview Paul, while John tries to steal the spotlight to plug In His Own Write. Here's what it says about Fluff in the album notes:

Australian born broadcaster Alan "Fluff" Freeman presented two "From Us To You" specials and his quirky sense of fun clicked with the Beatles.

So, now I understand what the phrase means (would have never guessed) and even the reason they most likely put it in the song. Mystery solved.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #508 on: October 23, 2005, 10:24:47 AM »

1. The Long And Winding Road
2. Don't Let Me Down  :'(
3. I've Got A Feeling  :-[

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #509 on: October 23, 2005, 11:06:37 AM »

The stress of trying to pick the songs this round calls for a comedy break:

"One After 909" From Anthology

From the Anthology notes:

Pre-dating the version on the Let It Be album by six years, the recording sequence of One After 909 was taped toward the end of the session in which the Beatles cut From Me To You and Thank You Girl, the A- and B-sides of their third single. Despite putting down five takes, however, the Beatles failed to achieve an entirely satisfactory recording of One After 909 in this session, leaving the job unfinished and unissued.

The sequence presented here comprises Take 3, which broke down, followed by a short extract of Take 4 before it too broke down, and the beginning of Take 5, which was an edit piece from the guitar solo onwards. Finally, by editing them together, we hear how 4 and 5 could have been made into a master.

The breakdown of Take 3 provides fine aural evidence of the incredibly hectic schedule endured by the Beatles in 1962/63. The finger points to Paul who complains that he doesn't have his plectrum, and the voice of road manager Neil Aspinall is then heard, indicating that Paul didn't instruct him to bring in his suitcase. The previous night the Beatles had been performing at a ballroom in St Helens, just outside Liverpool. But the morning of the recording session found them 200 miles south, on photographic assignments at EMI House, on the streets of London and on the steps outside the Abbey Road studio. Then came the important recording session in the afternoon and evening followed by a swift return north for a BBC radio appeareance in Manchester the next day, 6 March.

JOHN:  "WHAT are you DOING?"
PAUL:  "It's mad, I can't do it. I can't keep it up and just go...."

JOHN:  "Oh f-*k! I told you!"
PAUL:  "It's you! It's you! It's you!"

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #510 on: October 23, 2005, 08:47:40 PM »

Let's do the time warp again.... Let It Be DVD

Availability: This title will be released on December 31, 1969. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives
:D

I'm hoping this means that it's coming out sometime this year.... just a typo. *Fingers crossed.*

TVShowsonDVD.com:

Site News - Amazon messes up - causes confusion
Posted by Gord Lacey
   10/23/2005

Amazon.com has changed the way they list titles that aren't currently scheduled, and it's causing a lot of confusion, and resulting in tons of email for us.

Amazon has been putting up pages for shows/sets that haven't been announced in an effort to collect names of potential consumers. They've been doing it for ages, but those pages used to say:

Availability: NOT YET RELEASED: The studio is currently not producing this title on DVD, but to be notified when it is available, enter your e-mail address at right. You'll also be voting for this release; we'll let the studio know how many customers are waiting for this title.

The disclaimer clearly states that the studio isn't producing the title yet, but you can sign up and they'll tell you when it's coming out (though the studio people I've spoken to have said Amazon doesn't supply them with the number of customers waiting for a title like they say).

The other day Amazon changed the unannounced pages to this:

Availability: This title will be released on December 31, 1969. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives

I don't think I need to point out how confusing that is.

We hope that Amazon straightens things out sooner rather than later; we have a lot of people emailing us December 31 dates for titles that haven't been announced (apparently they aren't noticing the "1969" in the message).

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #511 on: October 23, 2005, 09:21:55 PM »

Yeah, it threw me because I'd always seen the original  "NOT YET RELEASED..." message so I thought the new message meant there was hope that it would be coming soon. It was supposed to be released this year, but still no information on that, so I guess it's time to give in and order one of the bootleg copies on eBay.  :-\
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #512 on: October 23, 2005, 10:07:41 PM »

That's all for Round 38. There was a tie, so I used the point system. Here's how the numbers panned out:  "One After 909" - 13; "I've Got a Feeling" - 12; "The Long and Winding Road" - 11; "Don't Let Me Down" - 7; "Get Back" - 5. So, we lose "One After 909" and "I've Got a Feeling".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND THIRTY-NINE

This round, we'll hear three more songs from the Let It Be album, the first song recorded for the Abbey Road album, "I Want You (She's So Heavy)", released on September 26, 1969:

as well as the A-side to "The Ballad of John and Yoko" single, released on May 30, 1969:

("I Me Mine", from the Let It Be album won't show up for a few more rounds, as it was actually the last song recorded by the Beatles.)

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "Dig A Pony" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney
2.  "Let It Be" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney
3.  "Two Of Us" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney and Lennon
4.   "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney
5.   "The Ballad of John and Yoko" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #513 on: October 23, 2005, 10:09:59 PM »

I'm already heartbroken to lose two of my favorites last round, and now I have to choose from this group! Two are untouchable for me, and the rest are big favorites. But, here goes:

1) The Ballad of John and Yoko
2) Dig A Pony  :'(

3) Two of Us  :'(
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #514 on: October 23, 2005, 11:11:16 PM »

1- Dig A Pony
2- Two Of Us  :'(
3- The Ballad Of John And Yoko  :'( ( Hope this doesn't get too many top 2 votes.Another Favorite. )

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #515 on: October 23, 2005, 11:47:16 PM »

1    The Ballad of John & Yoko
2     Dig A Pony

3    Two Of Us   
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #516 on: October 24, 2005, 01:07:52 AM »

1. Dig A Pony
2. Two Of Us  :-[
3. The Ballad Of John & Yoko

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #517 on: October 24, 2005, 01:58:56 AM »

1. Dig A Pony :'(
2. I Want You ( She's So Heavy) :'(
3. Two Of Us :'(

??? :-\ :o >:( :( :'( :-[

I have mixed emoticons over this round  ;)
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #518 on: October 24, 2005, 04:02:43 AM »

.. so I guess it's time to give in and order one of the bootleg copies on eBay.  :-\

This is what I have :-\
But always waiting for an original release

1-The Ballad of John & Yoko
2 -Dig A Pony :-X

3 -Let it Be    :-[

I like so much the rest

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #519 on: October 24, 2005, 04:45:17 AM »

After much internal debate....

1 Dig a Pony
2 The Ballad of John and Yoko
3 Let It Be

"Two of Us" is one of my all-time favorite Paul songs, so I really hope it stays around.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 116 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T