News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 340587 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #520 on: October 24, 2005, 12:50:39 PM »

Another tough round....

1   Dig A Pony
2   Two Of Us

3   I Want You..(really hope this survives)

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #521 on: October 24, 2005, 08:31:45 PM »

That ends Round 39. This time we lose "Dig a Pony" and 'The Ballad of John and Yoko".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND FORTY

All the songs this round are from the Abbey Road album, except for the B-side to the "Ballad of John and Yoko" single, "Old Brown Shoe".

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "Old Brown Shoe" (Harrison); Lead vocal: Harrison, with Lennon and McCartney
2.  "Oh! Darling" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney
3.  "Octopus's Garden" (Starkey); Lead vocal: Starr, with Lennon and McCartney
4.   "Something" (Harrison); Lead vocal: Harrison, with McCartney
5.   "You Never Give Me Your Money" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon and Harrison

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #522 on: October 24, 2005, 11:07:32 PM »

1- Octopus's Garden
2- Oh! Darling
3- You Never Give Me Your Money

This time we lose "The Ballad of John and Yoko".
  :'( :'( :'( :'(

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #523 on: October 25, 2005, 12:25:28 AM »

1. Old Brown Shoe
2. Octopus's Garden

3. Oh ! Darling

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #524 on: October 25, 2005, 01:11:07 AM »

1. Octopus's Garden
2. You Never Give Your Money
3. Old Brown Shoe

Oh Darling is a great rocker by Paul.
George is writing brilliant songs in this period, Something and Here Comes The Sun are high points for me.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #525 on: October 25, 2005, 04:14:51 AM »

1. Octopus's Garden
2. You Never Give Your Money
3. Old Brown Shoe

Oh Darling is a great rocker by Paul.
George is writing brilliant songs in this period, Something and Here Comes The Sun are high points for me.

Ditto to the whole post, including the votes this round. Only problem is... I love Old Brown Shoe SO much... so I hate even having to list it. But, "Oh! Darling" and "Something" must stay.

Thank God for Ringo... or this round would have been even more difficult.  :)

1) Octopus's Garden
2) You Never Give Me Your Money
3) Old Brown Shoe
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #526 on: October 25, 2005, 04:52:42 AM »

1- Octopus's Garden

(the only song of this round I could miss without problem. I like too much the rest)

2- Oh! Darling
3- You Never Give Me Your Money

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #527 on: October 25, 2005, 05:17:28 AM »

1   Octopus's Garden.    
2   Old Brown Shoe

3    You Never Give Me Your Money     

Ringo once again gives me the #1 to vote off.     Poor Ringo he's not the greatest when he leads.    We just can't let Something and Oh! Darling go, not yet anyway

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #528 on: October 25, 2005, 11:15:40 AM »

1. Old Brown Shoe
2. Octopus's Garden
3. You never Give Me Your Money

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #529 on: October 25, 2005, 03:13:22 PM »

1 Octopus's Garden
2 Old Brown Shoe
3 You Never Give Your Money

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #530 on: October 25, 2005, 09:29:41 PM »

1) Octopus's Garden
2) You Never Give Me Your Money
3) Old Brown Shoe
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #531 on: October 25, 2005, 10:28:13 PM »

That ends Round 40. This time we lose "Octopus's Garden" and "Old Brown Shoe".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND FORTY-ONE

All the songs this round are from the Abbey Road album. Some of the Abbey Rong tracks will cut off abruptly, and/or start abruptly because several of the tracks run together, and aren't meant to be separated.

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "Her Majesty" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney
2.  "Golden Slumbers" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney
3.  "Carry That Weight" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon
4.   "Here Comes The Sun" (Harrison); Lead vocal: Harrison, with Lennon and McCartney
5.   "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon, Harrison and Starr

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #532 on: October 25, 2005, 11:04:36 PM »

1- Her Majesty
2- Maxwell's Silver Hammer
3- Here Comes The Sun

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #533 on: October 25, 2005, 11:21:56 PM »

1   Her Majesty
2   Mawell's Sliver Hammer

3   Golden Slumbers

Although I like the beat  of Maxwll's Sliver Hammer I don't especially like the song itself.   Golden Slumbers is not strictly a Lennon/McCartney song.   Golden Slumbers goes back a long way but their interpretation of it with the added lyrics is good.   I hope it doesn't get voted off this round.  I just couldn't vote for the remaining two, well not yet anyway.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #534 on: October 25, 2005, 11:26:58 PM »

1) Her Majesty
2) Maxwell's Silver Hammer

3) Golden Slumbers

Lin, I'd never heard that about "Golden Slumbers". What info can you dig up on an earlier version? All credits for the song have only acknowledged Lennon/McCartney.

I'm particularly annoyed with "Her Majesty" since without its inclusion as a tack-on at the end of Abbey Road, the last song on the last album recorded by the Beatles would have been.... "The End". How perfect. So, I try to console myself by not considering it a song at all.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #535 on: October 25, 2005, 11:47:24 PM »

Matt I have put up these two links.     It is a very old folk song from a poem.

HERE

The words written by Thomas Dekker born around 1570.

LINK

Click on 1. Art Thou Poor and then go to line 21    You will find the words to Golden Slumbers.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #536 on: October 26, 2005, 12:19:06 AM »

Golden Slumbers is not strictly a Lennon/McCartney song.   Golden Slumbers goes back a long way but their interpretation of it with the added lyrics is good. 

Thanks Lin,I did not about this either,and got very curious,so I did a little searching on google and found this site.

everything2

Paul McCartney built his song upon this poem when he discovered it among his father's sheet music. The second verse of Dekker's poem probably led to the next cut, Carry That Weight, a reprise of part of an earlier song, You Never Give Me Your Money . All of which appear on the Abbey Road album released in England in September of 1969. Golden Slumbers and Carry That Weight were recorded as a single song. An expression of Paul's emotions, many think, about the burden of keeping the Beatles together during 1969, a year marked by conflict and difficulties. The chorus is sung by all four Beatles which was rarely done especially in their later albums. Ringo tended not to provide even back up vocals for most recordings

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #537 on: October 26, 2005, 12:31:42 AM »

Does the Abbey Road CD mention anywhere about Thomas Dekker.There's nothing on my old vinyl cover.I always thought you had to give credit to someone if you hadn't written a song or even part of it?

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #538 on: October 26, 2005, 01:08:47 AM »

Does the Abbey Road CD mention anywhere about Thomas Dekker.There's nothing on my old vinyl cover.I always thought you had to give credit to someone if you hadn't written a song or even part of it?

The answer to that is no, not strictly speaking.  But imagine if it were true... Wow...  the list of credits on Led Zeppelin albums would run the length of a short novel.  (Of course, you can't take credit for writing a song that was written by someone else, but this is a gray area....)

My votes:
1 Her Majesty
2 Maxwell's Silver Hammer
3 Carry That Weight

I recall reading a Lennon quote as saying basically that so long as The Beatles kept putting out songs like "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" they could be sure of pleasing the senior citizens.   ;D  I don't think he liked the song much, I would guess.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 01:13:56 AM by Doug » Logged

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #539 on: October 26, 2005, 02:41:36 AM »

1.Maxwell's Silver Hammer
2.Her Majesty
3.Carry That Weight

Hi Lin

I had heard that the words to Golden Slumbers were not Lennon/McCartney but I was unsure of their origin
thanks for the links and info.

The answer to that is no, not strictly speaking.  But imagine if it were true... Wow...  the list of credits on Led Zeppelin albums would run the length of a short novel. (Of course, you can't take credit for writing a song that was written by someone else, but this is a gray area....)

;D ;D ;D

Very true Doug, they were an immensely talented group though.

Although my old vinyl of their first album credits Willie Dixon it is only with cd re-release that some of their other "acquired" songs are credited to the original writer.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 116 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T