News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 339409 times)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #560 on: October 27, 2005, 03:33:47 PM »

1   Sun King
2   Mean Mr. Mustard

3   Polythene Pam
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #561 on: October 27, 2005, 09:59:15 PM »

That ends Round 42. This time we lose "Sun King" and "Mean Mr. Mustard".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND FORTY-THREE

This is the last round for the first run-through of the entire Beatles catalogue. We'll hear the last songs recorded for the Abbey Road album: "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" and "Because"; the last song recorded for the Let It Be album: "I Me Mine"; and the two songs recorded for Anthology 1 and Anthology 2, "Free As a Bird" and "Real Love".

"Because" would be the last song recorded with all four Beatles present. I've included a bonus from Anthology 3 of just the vocals for "Because" ... well, just because.  ;)

"I Me Mine" was the last song recorded by the Beatles, but Lennon wasn't present. That is, until 1994 when Paul, George and Ringo would work on two of John's unfinished demos to release two new singles to include on Anthology 1 and Anthology 2:

Here are the album notes from Anthology 1 for "Free as a Bird":

This recording brings together John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr.

A piece of music that he never completed, Free As A Bird was recorded in demo form by John Lennon at his home in New York, circa 1977. In early 1994, that original tape was entrusted to the careful attention of Paul, George and Ringo for the first "Beatles" sessions since 1970.

"We took the attitude that John had gone on holiday, saying 'I finished all the tracks except this one but I leave it to you guys to finish it off'," Paul McCartney has since said, "and once we agreed to take that attitude it gave us a lot of freedom."

In terms of composition, that freedom resulted in further development of the melody and lyric. In recording terms, John's original mono cassette has been expanded into analogue 48-track form, his voice and piano augmented by new vocals from Paul, Ringo and George. Ringo's drums, George's and Paul's acoustic guitars, Paul's bass guitar, George's lead guitar and slide solo, and Paul's piano, which doubles with John's original. And there are one or two instrumental surprises...

The outcome is an elevation of the simple beauty of John's original demo to a much higher level. Jeff Lynne, co-producer of the recording, modestly remarks, "It was tricky, but I think we've pulled it off."

"Free As A Bird" was started in New York in 1977 and was completed in February/March 1994. The single was released December 5, 1995 and Anthology 1 was released on November 21, 1995.

"Real Love" was created in the same fashion, started by John circa 1978 and completed by Paul, George and Ringo in February 1995. The single was released August 8, 1996 and Anthology 2 was released on March 19, 1996.

I pondered over and over again whether or not to include "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" in this game. The deciding factor was that they filled out the final round perfectly.

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon and Harrison
2.  "Because" (Lennon/McCartney), bonus "Because - Anthology version"; Lead vocal: Lennon, McCartney and Harrison
3.  "I Me Mine" (Harrison); Lead vocal: Harrison, with McCartney
4.   "Free As A Bird" (Lennon/McCartney/Harrison/Starkey); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney, Harrison and Starr
5.   "Real Love" (Lennon/McCartney/Harrison/Starkey); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #562 on: October 27, 2005, 10:15:42 PM »

I really admire Paul, George and Ringo for the work they put into "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love", to bring back The Beatles only if they could ALL be on the records. The two songs are really quite good, too. However... I can't really enjoy them because to me they'll always be the songs that they made from John's recordings because John was killed. And, the thought of that still hurts enough to make the songs just a little too sad for me to enjoy. They'll never be on the level with the other Beatles songs for me, and so... they have to go first.

1) Real Love
2) Free As A Bird

3) She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #563 on: October 27, 2005, 10:16:53 PM »

Again, sorry I haven't been able to participate more.  I'll try to make more of an effort.

O0 Glad to see you playing again.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #564 on: October 27, 2005, 10:58:07 PM »

1- Because
2- I Me Mine

3- She Came In Through The Bathroom Window

I really like the two new tracks from the 90's.I know a lot of my friends say it's not a true Beatle recording in the sense,but I think they did a great job and I wish they would play those two songs more often on the radio.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #565 on: October 28, 2005, 12:56:12 AM »

1   Real Love
2   I Me Mine

3   Free As A Bird

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #566 on: October 28, 2005, 03:30:50 AM »

For the same reason as Matt
1.Free As A Bird
2.Real Love

and

3.Because

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #567 on: October 28, 2005, 03:58:05 AM »

1 Free As a Bird
2 Real Love
3 Because

I really like the little accoustic version of "Real Love" that's on the Imagine soundtrack, which is different than the version they used for the Anthology recording.  I feel somewhat the same as Matt about those recordings, though they did a really good job on them.  I can't watch the film Imagine (the one about John's life) without getting teary-eyed at the end -- and I feel a definite sadness about John's unfinished recordings, as though they symbolize the tragedy of John's shortened life.  John's death is all the more sad because I've heard so much bitterness from Julian about his father in many interviews and even in the Foreward to Cynthia's book, and I can't help but think that had John lived, he and Julian could have worked out a lot of the issues that still seem to hang over Julian.     

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #568 on: October 28, 2005, 04:56:31 AM »

1   I Me Mine
2   Real Love

3   Free As A Bird

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #569 on: October 28, 2005, 05:38:32 AM »

1. Free As A Bird
2. Real Love
3. Because

I agree with Matt that Free As A Bird & Real Love will never be on the same level as original Beatles recordings.  That's not to say I dislike them in any way.  I do enjoy them.

“Eyuh.”
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #570 on: October 28, 2005, 12:46:42 PM »

1   I Me Mine
2   Because

3   Real Love
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #571 on: October 28, 2005, 04:35:46 PM »

1. Free As A Bird
2. I Me Mine
3. Because

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #572 on: October 28, 2005, 06:12:51 PM »

John Lennon is third on Forbes Magazine's list of top celebrity earners who are no longer with us.

Beatles John Lennon and George Harrison came in at third and ninth with £12.5 million and £4 million respectively.

scotsman.com

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #573 on: October 28, 2005, 09:53:35 PM »

That ends Round 43. There was a tie this round, so I used the point system. This is how the points racked up:  "Free As A Bird" - 16; "Real Love" - 15; "I Me Mine" - 12; "Because" - 9; "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" - 2. So, we lose "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND FORTY-FOUR

So now we start at the beginning again, and I'll only be listing the songs that survived the first run-through. As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "Love Me Do" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon
2.  "P.S. I Love You" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon
3.  "Please Please Me" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison
4.   "I Saw Her Standing There" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon
5.   "Do You Want To Know A Secret" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Harrison

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 10:20:10 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #574 on: October 28, 2005, 10:03:28 PM »

So THAT'S what an easy round feels like. I'd almost forgotten.

I hope everyone who's been playing isn't getting bored of the game, or The Beatles yet. We've still got a long way to go.

1) P.S. I Love You
2) Do You Want To Know A Secret

3) Love Me Do
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #575 on: October 28, 2005, 10:12:15 PM »

Now it's going to get a whole lot harder.

1- P.S. I Love You
2- Do You Want To Know A Secret

3- Love Me Do

Matt,I'm curious,how many songs have we got left now.By my calculations the first run through of all songs took 44 days.  :o

Bored of the Beatles:  NEVER O0 O0

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #576 on: October 28, 2005, 10:21:10 PM »

It looks like we have 131 songs left. I recorded all the MP3s and put them in a folder, then as we eliminated the songs, I moved the eliminated songs to a separate folder. So, unless I forgot to move some, that's the number. I'll be double checking each round to make sure I didn't forget to move any. 

At five songs a round, it looks like the second run-through will take about 26 days.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #577 on: October 29, 2005, 03:45:55 AM »

Bored with this game?   NEVER!   Having a great time listening to the Beatles everyday.

1   PS I Love You
2   Do You Want To Know A Secret? 

3   Love Me Do
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #578 on: October 29, 2005, 04:39:18 AM »

1.P.S I Love You
2.Do You Want To Know A Secret
3.Love Me Do

Far from being bored I'm going to be sad when the game is over. I don't always have time to listen to every track, family of 4 all trying to use the 'net, but I know most of them so well I can "hear" them anyway or fish out the album and vote later. It's also good to hear one or two rarities that I have not heard before.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #579 on: October 29, 2005, 04:47:57 AM »

1. Do you Want To Know a Secret
2. PS I Love You

3. I Saw Her Standing There

I think just like Lucky Punk, not enough time everyday to listen to some songs I've never heard before, then choose ... But it's always the same pleasure to see others' choices ... then choose myself ! :)

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 116 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T