News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 339372 times)
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #660 on: November 06, 2005, 02:00:54 AM »

1) Yes It Is
2) Rock And Roll Music
3) Another Girl

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #661 on: November 06, 2005, 03:19:16 AM »

1    Yes It Is
2   Rock And Roll Music

3   Another Girl

While I like Rock & Roll Music I don't think it should stay over The Night Before and A Ticket To Ride   Matt, She's A Woman must be living on borrowed time  ;D ;D

Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #662 on: November 06, 2005, 03:36:59 AM »

1.Rock and Roll Music
2.Yes It Is
3.Another Girl

She's a woman survives again :P

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #663 on: November 06, 2005, 06:20:48 AM »

1 Rock and Roll Music
2 Yes It Is
3 The Night Before

Maybe it's me, but it sounds to me that the lead singer on "Yes It Is" is John.  And the song is growing on me as I listen to it, but I've always liked "The Night Before" and "Another Girl" a lot, so I think I'll stay with my picks. 

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #664 on: November 06, 2005, 08:35:42 AM »

Maybe it's me, but it sounds to me that the lead singer on "Yes It Is" is John.   

Yes it is.  ;)  I messed up when I copied from the last round (#51), and missed changing the credits from "I'll Follow The Sun". "Yes It Is" is a three-part harmony of Lennon, McCartney and Harrison with John singing the middle eight. Like "This Boy", it's his voice in the middle that gives the song it's spark and makes it work so well. I've always loved "Yes It Is", but among this competition, I'm afraid I can't keep it around.

I've edited the post for the start of this round to reflect the change. Thanks for pointing that out, Doug. I'd like to make sure the credits are accurate, especially for anyone who wouldn't know the difference when they read a mistake.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #665 on: November 06, 2005, 08:39:22 AM »

Matt, She's A Woman must be living on borrowed time  ;D ;D

I noticed you and I have no problem voting that song off, and the others are adamant that it should stay. I guess this may be a "love it or hate it" song. I'm listening to it now, and I think it's the guitar that just gets me off on the wrong foot with this song right from the first bar. And Paul sounds like he's straining to hit some notes, and the words.... ugh. Oh well....
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #666 on: November 06, 2005, 09:12:36 AM »

1. Another Girl
2. Yes It Is
3. The Night Before

“Eyuh.”
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #667 on: November 06, 2005, 09:37:47 AM »

1. Yes It Is
2. Another Girl

3. The Night Before

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #668 on: November 06, 2005, 10:46:08 AM »

lets get rid of another cover first off

1   Rock and Roll Music
2   Yes It Is

3   Another Girl

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #669 on: November 06, 2005, 08:38:50 PM »

That ends Round 52. This time we lose "Yes It Is" and  "Rock And Roll Music".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND FIFTY-THREE

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon
2.  "You're Going To Lose That Girl" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison
3.  "Help!"  (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison
4.   "I've Just Seen A Face" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney
5.   "Yesterday" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #670 on: November 06, 2005, 08:40:44 PM »

This is a really tough round.  :o

1) You're Going To Lose That Girl
2) I've Just Seen a Face (I really love this song)

3) Yesterday  :-X
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #671 on: November 06, 2005, 09:17:23 PM »

1- You're Going To Lose That Girl
2- I've Just Seen A Face

3- You've Got To Hide Your Love Away (another toss of the coin)  :-\

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #672 on: November 07, 2005, 12:40:05 AM »

1. You're Going To Lose That Girl
2. I've Just Seen A Face
3. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #673 on: November 07, 2005, 01:08:10 AM »

1. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
2. I've Just Seen A Face

3. You're Going To Lose That Girl

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #674 on: November 07, 2005, 04:54:09 AM »

1 You're Going To Lose That Girl
2 I've Just Seen a Face
3 Yesterday

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #675 on: November 07, 2005, 08:38:02 AM »

1    I've Just Seen A Face
2    You're Going To Lose That Girl

3    Yesterday    I hope this stays in.    Yes Matt it is a difficult round and I didn't really want to vote any of them off. :-\
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #676 on: November 07, 2005, 09:24:50 AM »

Very tough round

1   Youre Gonna lose that girl
2   I've Just Seen A face....  :(  (love this song)

3   Yesterday

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #677 on: November 07, 2005, 01:50:06 PM »

1.You're Going To Lose That Girl
2.I've Just Seen A Face
3.Yesterday - one of the best songs ever but I think of it as more Paul's own than a Beatles.

John's songs here are arguably more personal but there is still a group feel to the recording.

"Yes It Is" is a three-part harmony of Lennon, McCartney and Harrison with John singing the middle eight. Like "This Boy", it's his voice in the middle that gives the song it's spark and makes it work so well. I've always loved "Yes It Is", but among this competition, I'm afraid I can't keep it around

Absolutely Matt, John's voice is one of the most distinctive and emotive voices in music. He sounds so urgent and soulful, although there have been many singers technically "better" few can sell a song with that level of conviction. Another track that this game has had me listen to again is "Mr Moonlight" WOW what a superb vocal, as Matt pointed out it is not a great song but John gives it his all, he may not have had the range of Marvin or Otis but he could match anyone for soul and guts.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #678 on: November 07, 2005, 07:35:44 PM »

Another track that this game has had me listen to again is "Mr Moonlight" WOW what a superb vocal, as Matt pointed out it is not a great song but John gives it his all, he may not have had the range of Marvin or Otis but he could match anyone for soul and guts.

You bet!  O0

LP, you'd probably enjoy hearing this version of Mr. Moonlight from Anthology 1. When John sings the first line of the song, his voice breaks and Paul says "Nearly!" Then, it cuts to another take of the song, where John gets it just right.  This version was recorded in August, 1964. The version on Beatles For Sale was recorded two months later. What a voice.  8)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #679 on: November 07, 2005, 09:41:43 PM »

That ends Round 53. This time we lose "I've Just Seen A Face" and  "You're Going To Lose That Girl".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND FIFTY-FOUR

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "It's Only Love" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon
2.  "Run For Your Life" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison
3.  "Drive My Car" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon and McCartney, with Harrison
4.   "Day Tripper" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon and McCartney
5.   "In My Life"  (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 116 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T