News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 339359 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #700 on: November 09, 2005, 09:04:26 PM »

1) The Word
2) I'm Looking Through You

3) Think For Yourself
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #701 on: November 09, 2005, 09:10:41 PM »

What's everyone's thoughts on the CD The Beatles Live At The BBC.
I just started playing it again after not hearing it for a while and I like it.There's plenty of cover versions on it,so Gant's probably not a fan of it,but there's also some different versions of songs such as Honey,Don't sung by John not Ringo.

The sound quality is really good, but, there's really nothing on the CD that I couldn't do without. It's another CD set that's only really for die-hard Beatles fans that can't ever get enough of their stuff. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I'm glad to have it in my collection because of the historical value attached to those early rare recordings.  I bought it used on Amazon, not thinking it would be worth the hefty pricetag. It was worth it for the reduced price.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #702 on: November 09, 2005, 09:32:52 PM »

Thinking about it some more... maybe one of the reasons I'm not so keen on the Live at the BBC CD is because it doesn't have any of the excitement of a live Beatles performance, even though they are live recordings. On Anthology George Martin talks about how impossible it was to get a live recording from Shea Stadium, but I had the vinyl album and I liked it. You could really hear the excitement of the performance and hear the "Beatlemania". I guess that album won't be making its way onto CD though.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #703 on: November 09, 2005, 09:40:03 PM »

That ends Round 55. This time we lose "The Word" and "I'm Looking Through You".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND FIFTY-SIX

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "Girl" Lennon/McCartney);  (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison
2.  "Tomorrow Never Knows" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon
3.  "Got To Get You Into My Life" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney
4.   "Rain"  (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison
5.   "Taxman" (Harrison); Lead vocal: Harrison, with Lennon and McCartney

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #704 on: November 09, 2005, 09:48:52 PM »

So how much longer to go? How many more songs until the next round starts?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #705 on: November 09, 2005, 09:51:05 PM »

So how much longer to go? How many more songs until the next round starts?

We're about halfway through the 2nd run-through of the catalogue.

The songs in this round are all fantastic. It's a good time to jump in here and start playing.  ;)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #706 on: November 09, 2005, 09:53:41 PM »

Okay, this is a tough call.....

1) Got To Get You Into My Life
2) Girl

3) Rain

I think my choices have flip-flopped since the last time these songs came through. I'm really hip on "Rain" right now.  8)
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #707 on: November 09, 2005, 09:57:02 PM »

We're about halfway through the 2nd run-through of the catalogue.

The songs in this round are all fantastic. It's a good time to jump in here and start playing.  ;)

Soon.  8)

Also, just a dumb question about the Past Masters albums... are they sort of like a "greatest hits" album? Any new songs on them? Doubtful since they were broken up by then right?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #708 on: November 09, 2005, 10:02:50 PM »

"Past Masters" isn't a greatest hits album. Back when the Beatles were recording, at least in England, it was considered "cheap" to put the single releases on the albums. If they did, when the fans bought the 45 and then the album, they would, in effect, be buying those songs twice. So, most of the singles weren't ever put on the albums. This made it so that if you didn't buy the 45s, you didn't have some of their biggest and greatest hits. After the band broke up, "Hey Jude" and "Rarities" were released, and on those albums were some of those 45s which weren't on any of their studio albums. (Can you imagine that "Hey Jude" was never on a studio album? Their biggest song!) With the release of the Beatles CDs, they (thankfully) put out all the studio albums in their original U.K. form and complemented the releases with "Past Masters 1" and "Past Masters 2" so that you would have all of the songs in the Beatles catalogue, all of the singles and all of their songs, on just those official releases. Later came the Anthology series, and the Live at the BBC CD, but those are "extras" and alternate versions of the already released songs.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #709 on: November 09, 2005, 10:06:12 PM »

I see. Six more to go then! And then you'll see me participating.  8)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #710 on: November 09, 2005, 10:11:05 PM »

1- Girl
2- Rain  :'(

3- Taxman   :'(

Unfortunately I'll be missing the next 2 rounds  :'(  as I'm off on another golf weekend   O0 and I won't be back until Sunday night.
Lin,you may like to know that I'll be playing at Blackheath golf course.Just up the road from where you're from.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #711 on: November 09, 2005, 10:14:30 PM »

Unfortunately I'll be missing the next 2 rounds  :'(  as I'm off on another golf weekend   O0 and I won't be back until Sunday night.

You can vote by proxy!

I'll PM you the songs in the next two rounds if you want to vote ahead of time. PM me your votes, and I'll copy your PMs to the game when each round starts.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #712 on: November 10, 2005, 12:47:17 AM »

You can vote by proxy!

Marvellous,thanks Matt. O0 O0

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #713 on: November 10, 2005, 12:57:52 AM »

Lin,you may like to know that I'll be playing at Blackheath golf course.Just up the road from where you're from.

I have been to Blackheath Club house to a posh dinner.   It is a beautiful setting.   Where are you staying? There or in the Peppers Fairmont?   I am sure you will enjoy the course and the setting.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #714 on: November 10, 2005, 12:59:13 AM »

Now here are my choices

1   Girl
2   Taxman

3    Rain   
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #715 on: November 10, 2005, 01:06:50 AM »

1. Taxman
2. Girl

3. Rain

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #716 on: November 10, 2005, 01:23:24 AM »

very difficult choice.....

1   Taxman
2   Girl

3   Rain

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #717 on: November 10, 2005, 01:34:51 AM »

1. Taxman
2. Girl  :-\
3. Rain

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #718 on: November 10, 2005, 01:55:22 AM »

1.Girl
2.Rain 
3.Got To Get You Into My Life

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #719 on: November 10, 2005, 03:21:20 AM »

Back when the Beatles were recording, at least in England, it was considered "cheap" to put the single releases on the albums. If they did, when the fans bought the 45 and then the album, they would, in effect, be buying those songs twice.

What ... there was a time when entertainment industry moguls DIDN'T want to make fans buy the same thing twice!  :o

Those were the days!
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 116 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T