News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 339748 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #740 on: November 12, 2005, 01:10:00 AM »

Wow.. this is a tough round.. very difficult choices...

I'll go

1   Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
2   She Said She Said.... (Great bass line in this one)

3   Penny Lane

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #741 on: November 12, 2005, 04:36:01 AM »

1 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2 Penny Lane
3 She Said She Said

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #742 on: November 12, 2005, 04:44:10 AM »

1.   She Said She Said
2    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

3    Penny Lane

Like Gant says this is a tough round.    I just have a soft spot for Penny Lane so want it to stay a little longer.   I think I have to sacrifice Sgt. Pepper for Strawberry Fields and A Day In The Life.   The further we get into this the harder it will be to vote any off.     :'(

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #743 on: November 12, 2005, 05:56:49 AM »

Well, if you get around to reading it, let me know what you think. The used hardcover is only 40 cents on Amazon... it's worth it.

What does it say about John and Paul?  I was reading reviews at amazon.com, and at least one suggested that the book makes the case that Paul was actually more of the creative leader than John, if I understood the reviewer correctly.  But I think another reviewer states that Paul isn't treated well in it either.  Perhaps I should read it just to know what the fuss is about.  One book I saw at amazon.com that looked interesting was John Lennon: The Lost Weekend by May Pang. 

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #744 on: November 12, 2005, 06:45:16 AM »

May Pang is one of the sources he uses in the book. It goes into great detail about their relationship, spending probably a hundred pages on it. This is a very detailed book, mainly dealing with the post-Beatles years.

As for what it says about John and Paul...  Goldman makes it very clear that he thinks John Lennon was one of the most (if not THE most) innovative, creative and talented musical geniuses of all time. He really doesn't try to discredit his talent. He seems more disgusted with how he was maligned at nearly every great point of his career by Yoko, and even Brian Epstein (he has it out almost as much for Brian for making such horrible deals and trying to change the Teddy Boy into a Teddy Bear as he does to destroy the myth of "The Ballad of John and Yoko"). Goldman never says that Paul was more talented than John, but that he was more driven to succeed. He goes into John's lethargy and apathy toward keeping the Beatles going after Revolver, saying that it was Paul who conceived of Sgt. Pepper and that around this time, John basically gave up the leadership role in the band to Paul. Which, you can really see did happen at least by the time of Let It Be (which I finally broke down and bought a bootleg of).

There are things in the book that I really didn't pay much attention to. The worst thing, musically, that Goldman said was that John was so uncoordinated that it was amazing he could even play the guitar. And, then Goldman goes into saying how he may not have actually been that good of a guitar player, since he was masked so often by George and Paul. I didn't buy that. Lennon couldn't drive a car worth a crap (which he also goes into), but he could sure as hell play a guitar (and piano).

More about John and Paul, John was jealous of Paul almost from the beginning, and even married Yoko exactly when he did because Paul had just married Linda (I think the very day before, or at least less than a week before) and he didn't want to be outdone. He also suggests that John and Yoko pulled strings to have Paul arrested for drugs in Japan. Apparently, Paul had tried to get together with John the day before he left on the trip, and said he had some good weed they could smoke. Then, he told John that he and Linda were going to stay at the same penthouse suite that John and Yoko spent their holidays in when they were in Japan. John and Yoko thought that they'd never be able to enjoy that suite again knowing that Paul and Linda had been in "their space" and Yoko pulled strings to get Paul arrested for the weed they knew he had before he ever had a chance to make it to the hotel. It's not one of Goldman's strongest cases, but taken into account how manipulative and hateful Yoko was, it's within the realm of possibility.

Anyway, yeah... just out of curiosity give the book a read. I'd love to hear what you think of it. I don't buy it all, but I buy enough to think I was wrong about the John/Yoko relationship.
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #745 on: November 12, 2005, 09:59:03 AM »

1.She Said She Said
2.Sgt Pepper
3.Penny Lane  (I too have a soft spot for this song)

Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #746 on: November 12, 2005, 10:59:56 AM »

Oh yay, songs I know.  Sweet.  But gah what a tough round! 

1.  She Said She Said
2.  Strawberry Fields Forever

3.  Penny Lane

Gah, so difficult.  Goodness. 

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #747 on: November 12, 2005, 12:00:08 PM »

Tough..tough

1.   She Said She Said
2    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band  :-[

3    Penny Lane  :'(

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #748 on: November 12, 2005, 06:09:58 PM »

On Anthology George Martin talks about how impossible it was to get a live recording from Shea Stadium, but I had the vinyl album and I liked it. You could really hear the excitement of the performance and hear the "Beatlemania". I guess that album won't be making its way onto CD though.

My bad. Although Martin was talking about the recording at Shea Stadium, the album I had was The Beatles Live at the Hollywood Bowl. I haven't heard the album in a great many years, and can't listen to it now since I don't have my turntable hooked up anymore. So, I went off in search of a CD, and found this unusual auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-BEATLES-at-the-Hollywood-Bowl_W0QQitemZ4791097240QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I wrote the seller, asking if I understood him correctly... that he would sell an owner of the original album a CD recording for $10. If so, I'll buy it. If anyone else is interested, I'll let you know his reply.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #749 on: November 12, 2005, 10:44:35 PM »

That ends Round 58. This time we lose "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "She Said She Said".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND FIFTY-NINE

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon
2.  "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney
3.  "Getting Better" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon
4. "With A Little Help From My Friends" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Starr, with Lennon and McCartney
5.   "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney and Lennon

All the songs in this round are from the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album.

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 11:05:36 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #750 on: November 12, 2005, 10:45:35 PM »

Easy round for me. Gotta get rid of another Ringo song first off.

1) With A Little Help From My Friends
2) Getting Better

3) Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
Chessie
Member Extraordinaire

You're anything but a simple woman.

View Profile Email
« Reply #751 on: November 12, 2005, 11:00:58 PM »

Oh goodness.  This is ridiculously hard...  Gosh.

1.  Getting Better
2.  For the Benefit of Mr. Kite

3.  Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band (Reprise)

The old dreams were good dreams; they didn't work out, but I'm glad I had them.  - Robert Kincaid, the Bridges of Madison County
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #752 on: November 12, 2005, 11:04:00 PM »

If you want to read a completely fictional account of the Beatles, try Paperback Writer: The Life and Times of the Beatles, the Spurious Chronicle of Their Rise to Stardom, Their Triumphs and Disasters, Plus the Amazing by Mark Shipper.

It's a pretty amusing (and sometimes annoying) parady of The Beatles' career.  It was published in 1978.

This was a good book to read today, after feeling a bit saddened from the Goldman book. This book was a lot of fun, and the running jokes were often very amusing. The banter that Shipper comes up with for the "Beatles Reunion" is hysterical. I love this line that John says to Paul about George, after George takes a playful stab at him:

What happened to him? He used to be so pleasant, so nice to be around. Put him in a corner and he'd meditate all day. ...

Thanks for the recommendation, Doug. It was a very unique and enjoyable read.  8)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #753 on: November 13, 2005, 12:02:19 AM »

1   For The Benefit Of Mr Kite
2   With A Little Help From My Friends

3.  Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band (Reprise)

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #754 on: November 13, 2005, 02:29:22 AM »

Easier round

1   With A Little help From My Friends
2   Getting Better

3   Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #755 on: November 13, 2005, 03:00:14 AM »

I have returned!
Thank You Matt for posting my proxy votes for the last 2 rounds.Very much appreciated. O0 O0 O0

1- Getting Better
2- With A Little Help From My Friends

3- Sgt.Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band ( reprise )

Nice to come back to an easy round. 8)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #756 on: November 13, 2005, 03:26:44 AM »

1.With A Little Help From My Friends
2.Sgt Pepper's (reprise)
3.Getting Better

On the subject of Beatles parodies I loved the Eric Idle and Neil Innes mock documentary The Rutles.

The Beatles pastiches were brilliant, particularly " I Must Be In Love " which captures the sound of the Hard Day's Night period.

George Harrison was in on the gag playing a reporter and a cheeky Mick Jagger sends up the hit making Lennon/McCartney, after describing the Rutles scribbling a hit song for him down the pub.

Interviewer: did you record it?
Jagger (with obvious glee): no, it was 'orrible.

The send up of the Beatles career is fun but it is obvious how much Idle and Innes love their music by the careful construction of the Beatles style songs
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #757 on: November 13, 2005, 03:46:43 AM »

1) With A Little Help From My Friends
2) Getting Better

3) Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #758 on: November 13, 2005, 03:57:33 AM »

1. Getting Better
2. Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band (reprise)

3. With A little Help From My Friends (but I like this one too ... :-\)

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #759 on: November 13, 2005, 05:11:01 AM »

1 Getting Better
2 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
3 With A Little Help From My Friends

Thanks for the recommendation, Doug. It was a very unique and enjoyable read. 8)

Glad you liked it.

How about "Yoko's Going Broke-o":

They won't sell her art
At the supermart
They claim it is a joke-o

This has to stop,
Quite soon, I fear, for
Yoko's going broke-o

They don't buy her bags,
Don't buy her blintzes,
Don't buy her milk bottles in the snow-ko

Perhaps they'll change
When they get the news that
Yoko's going broke-o
:D

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 116 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T