News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 340572 times)
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1040 on: December 05, 2005, 03:04:00 AM »

1. Black Bird
2. Yer Blues
3. Hey Jude  :-[

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1041 on: December 05, 2005, 03:53:57 AM »

1- Yer Blues
2- Hey Jude

3- Blackbird

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1042 on: December 05, 2005, 04:56:37 AM »

So, we lose "Hey Bulldog" and "Across The Universe".

It crushes me that we lost "Across the Universe."   And to think we almost lost "I Am The Walrus" in its place..... That would have crushed me even more.

1 Blackbird
2 Yer Blues
3 Hey Jude

"Yer Blues" is my sacrifice to try to protect "Dear Prudence," because it's not what I want to vote for.  But I couldn't stand losing "Dear Prudence" right after "Across the Unviverse."  I will console myself by thinking its the "album version" we lost, not my favorite version off of Past Masters Vol 2
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 05:00:06 AM by Doug » Logged

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1043 on: December 05, 2005, 05:58:18 AM »

:) I did not play these last two days, and I found so :( we lose "Accross the Universe " ...  but that's the game !

I saw the Rabeats group "Tribute to the Beatles" saturday evening, it was a great concert, they were 4 very good musicians, but sometimes the "voices" were awful especially when they played "Let I Be" and "Revolution". But sing with them nearly 30 Beatles songs was joyfull, fun and the mood in the concert hall was great (nearly 1000 people, from small kids of 8 or 10 to old men and ladies ... of at least 42 ! ;D ... I'm joking there were all kind of people, all together to share the same pleasure : listen and sing !)
And they played an amazing "I'm The Walrus" !

So I come back today and vote :

1. Black Bird
2. Yer Blues

3. Dear Prudence
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 09:44:52 AM by Sylvie » Logged

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1044 on: December 05, 2005, 09:41:10 AM »

Walrus saved... thank god. Easily the best thing about magical Mystery Tour...

Prudence must stay !!

1   Blackbird
2   Yer Blues

3   Revolution.... that hurt   :'(

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #1045 on: December 05, 2005, 01:01:52 PM »

1. Yer Blues
2. Blackbird  :'(

3. Hey Jude  :o
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1046 on: December 06, 2005, 12:16:51 AM »

That ends Round 81. This time we lose "Yer Blues" and "Blackbird".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND EIGHTY-TWO

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (Harrison); Lead vocal: Harrison; from The Beatles (The White Album)
2. "Helter Skelter" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney; from The Beatles (The White Album)
3.  "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison; from The Beatles (The White Album)
4. "Savoy Truffle" (Harrison); Lead vocal: Harrison; from The Beatles (The White Album)
5.  "I'm So Tired" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney; from The Beatles (The White Album)

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1047 on: December 06, 2005, 12:18:30 AM »

I hereby declare The White Album the best Beatles album!  :D

Man, these rounds are painful.

1) Savoy Truffle
2) I'm So Tired

3) Happiness Is A Warm Gun  :o :'(
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1048 on: December 06, 2005, 12:24:51 AM »

While we're playing this round, what are everyone's favorite Lennon solo songs? Of course, we're coming up on the 25th anniversary of his death in a couple of days, and I'll put up some links of solo Lennon work like I did for George's tribute.

If I had to list just five of my favorites, they'd be:

Imagine (of course)
Working Class Hero
Mind Games
Woman Is The @#*%!& of the World
Watching the Wheels
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1049 on: December 06, 2005, 01:13:30 AM »

1. Savoy Truffle
2. I'm So Tired

3. Helter Skelter

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1050 on: December 06, 2005, 01:28:08 AM »

1. I'm So Tired
2. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
3. Savoy Truffle

So far my two favorite songs are Eleanor Rigby and While My Guitar Gently Weeps -I didn't know that one until we played this game, so thanks Matt  O0.
I hope they'll make it to the final round. Not that it will make things easier :-\ ;D

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1051 on: December 06, 2005, 01:28:17 AM »

1   I'm So Tired
2   Savoy Truffle

3   Happiness Is A Warm Gun

My favourite Lennon song has to be Imagine

Followed by;-

Mind Games
Working Class Hero

after that they blend together and there are no favourites, just all good.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1052 on: December 06, 2005, 01:31:57 AM »

My favourite Lennon song has to be Imagine
Yeah, how could I forgot that one  ::)
Great song. That's the one they played on 9/11. Since then everytime I hear this song on the radio it makes me feel like crying. Forever associated with what happened that day  :'(

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1053 on: December 06, 2005, 01:36:00 AM »

Great song. That's the one they played on 9/11. Since then everytime I hear this song on the radio it makes me feel like crying.

I associate that song with all the sad things in this world and it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up no matter how many times I hear it. :(
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1054 on: December 06, 2005, 01:42:24 AM »

1 Savoy Truffle
2 While My Guitar Gently Weeps
3 Helter Skelter

Not easy.  And it looks like we're going to lose "I'm So Tired" this round. :( 

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1055 on: December 06, 2005, 02:40:51 AM »

"Imagine " is my favorite.

The only time I went to New York, in May 2001, as I was in Central Park, not far away from Dakota building where Lennon and his family lived, I heard a group of men and women, hand in hand in a circle singing that song, it was really moving, quiet and at the end of the song, no one moved, there was not a noise, a magical and unforgettable piece of time ...

A few days ago , I watched a documentary talking about Chapman, on Arte tv.
I've learned with horror that Chapman had asked John Lennon an autograph a few hours before he killed him, I didn't know that terrible thing before.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 03:50:35 AM by Sylvie » Logged

2007 Movie journal
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1056 on: December 06, 2005, 02:44:54 AM »

While we're playing this round, what are everyone's favorite Lennon solo songs?

Instant Karma!
Working Class Hero
Mind Games
Dream #9
I Found Out
Well Well Well
Crippled Inside
I Don't Wanna Be a Soldier Mama
Gimme Some Truth
Jealous Guy
Oh My Love
Imagine
Give Peace A Chance
Watching the Wheels
Nobody Told Me

And many more.  My favorite two albums of his are Imagine and Plastic Ono Band.  His songs on Double Fantasy are incredible, and far more polished than his earlier work.  It's been said his solo work is somewhat uneven, but lot of that has to do with the legacy of the Beatles hanging over him, as well as the sheer brillance of the album Imagine, which he never topped, yet his work is actually quite consistently outstanding for what it is, one man exposing himself to the world through music.  I have to admit I'm not as familiar wtih his solo work as I am with his songs from The Beatles, but when I do listen to his solo work, I'm always amazed and delighted.  

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1057 on: December 06, 2005, 02:59:24 AM »

I've learned with horror that Chapman had asked John Lennon an autograph a few hours before he killed him, I didn't know that terrible thing before.

Yes, and there's acutally a photograph of that moment, too, showing the two of them together, with John signing Chapman's copy of Double Fantasy.  I understand Chapman had expected John to just walk by him like some stuck up celebrity, but that wasn't the case, and even so he stuck to his plan to murder John.  It's not right.... :'(

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1058 on: December 06, 2005, 03:11:33 AM »

1-  Happiness Is A Warm Gun
2-  I'm So Tired

3-  Savoy Truffle

I couldn't pick just five Lennon tracks,there's so many that I like.
The first Lennon Album I got was The John Lennon Collection for Christmas in the early eighties.

I got it on tape and just played it over and over again.
If I had to pick one song apart from Imagine I'd say "Love",it's such a beautiful song.

Love is real,
Real is love
Love is feeling,
Feeling love
Love is wanting
To be loved.

Love is touch,
Touch is love
Love is reaching,
Reaching love
Love is asking
To be loved.

Love is you
You and me
Love is knowing
We can be

Love is free,
Free is love
Love is living,
Living love
Love is needing
To be loved.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1059 on: December 06, 2005, 03:53:37 AM »

1-  Happiness Is A Warm Gun
2-  Helter Skelter

3-  Savoy Truffle (love this one)  :-\

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 116 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T