News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 339628 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1060 on: December 06, 2005, 05:56:01 AM »

There's so many Lennon favorites listed in this thread, and they're all great. I think I'll start the tribute tonight and run it for a few days so I can post more than just five.  (Either that, or create a few MORE websites. )
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1061 on: December 06, 2005, 05:58:06 AM »

3 Helter Skelter

I'm really hoping this song makes it to the top ten.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1062 on: December 06, 2005, 05:58:30 AM »

Yes, and there's acutally a photograph of that moment, too, showing the two of them together, with John signing Chapman's copy of Double Fantasy.  I understand Chapman had expected John to just walk by him like some stuck up celebrity, but that wasn't the case, and even so he stuck to his plan to murder John.  It's not right.... :'(

I'd post the picture, but that [email protected]#kface has no right being in our thread.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1063 on: December 06, 2005, 06:01:16 AM »

My favorite two albums of his are Imagine and Plastic Ono Band.  His songs on Double Fantasy are incredible, and far more polished than his earlier work.  It's been said his solo work is somewhat uneven, but lot of that has to do with the legacy of the Beatles hanging over him, as well as the sheer brillance of the album Imagine, which he never topped, yet his work is actually quite consistently outstanding for what it is, one man exposing himself to the world through music.  I have to admit I'm not as familiar wtih his solo work as I am with his songs from The Beatles, but when I do listen to his solo work, I'm always amazed and delighted. 

I've always loved "Plastic Ono Band" and "Imagine" the most, but I recently started listening to "Mind Games" quite a lot, and have to say it's awesome. Beautiful songs on that album. I'll have to post a few of those too.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1064 on: December 06, 2005, 06:04:14 AM »

So far my two favorite songs are Eleanor Rigby and While My Guitar Gently Weeps -I didn't know that one until we played this game, so thanks Matt  O0.

:) AB, those are GREAT songs--two of my favorite Beatles songs. One is a McCartney composition, and the other a Harrison (I was asking for everyone's favorite Lennon solo post-Beatles songs). But, I'm really glad you've gotten to hear these great songs and enjoy them so much! That's one of the reasons I wanted to do this Survivor game, and make it so that members who didn't know the Beatles would be exposed to their work. I'm really glad it's worked at least for one or two members here. Keep the torch burning, and turn on your friends and family to the magic and beauty they created, and the best rock music ever recorded.
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #1065 on: December 06, 2005, 08:24:15 AM »

I hereby declare The White Album the best Beatles album! 

I second that emotion  ;)

1 Happiness is a Warm Gun
2 I'm so Tired

3 Savoy Truffle

John Lennon faves:

Instant Karma
Imagine
Dream #9
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1066 on: December 06, 2005, 10:16:47 AM »

That's one of the reasons I wanted to do this Survivor game, and make it so that members who didn't know the Beatles would be exposed to their work. I'm really glad it's worked at least for one or two members here. Keep the torch burning, and turn on your friends and family to the magic and beauty they created, and the best rock music ever recorded.
Well my parents love the Beatles, and I did know a few songs myself. But this game was really a brilliant idea.
This game opened my eyes. I know how this sounds, but it really did.

I even burned a CD with all my favorite Beatles songs  8) :D

Better late than never, right?  ;)

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1067 on: December 06, 2005, 10:36:33 AM »

Phew.. Nitty gritty time.

1   Happiness is a warm gun
2   I'm so tired

3   Savoy Truffle

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1068 on: December 06, 2005, 03:45:37 PM »

1) I'm So Tired
2) Savoy Truffle

3) Happiness is a Warm Gun
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1069 on: December 06, 2005, 09:35:07 PM »

I'm starting the "Lennon Tribute" a little early so that we can hear all the favorites listed this round. I'll list four songs each night until we hear them all. Even if you know these songs well, give a listen again and think of the man who shared his heart, his soul, and eventually gave his life for his music. He was the single greatest influence in my life, and continues to be even twenty-five years after his murder. The gift he gave us through his music lives on forever.

"Give Peace A Chance" (Lennon) (Single, released July, 1969)
"Cold Turkey" (Lennon) (Single, released October, 1969)
"Instant Karma " (Lennon) (Single, released February, 1970)
"Working Class Hero" (Lennon) (From Plastic Ono Band, released December, 1970)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 10:46:07 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1070 on: December 06, 2005, 10:19:29 PM »

I even burned a CD with all my favorite Beatles songs  8) :D

Better late than never, right?  ;)

O0  :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1071 on: December 06, 2005, 10:19:53 PM »

That ends Round 82. We had a tie again, so I used the point system. This was probably the closest the points have ever been. Here's how they added up:  "I'm So Tired" - 19; "Savoy Truffle" - 18; "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" - 17; "Helter Skelter" - 4, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - 2.  So, we lose "I'm So Tired" and "Savoy Truffle".

There's only two more rounds for this third run-through, and we have twelve songs left. To make the last rounds even, I'll be posting six songs in these next two rounds. As before, vote off two and list a third choice in the event of a tie.

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND EIGHTY-THREE

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "Julia" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon; from The Beatles (The White Album)
2. "Get Back" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney; from Let It Be
3.  "Don't Let Me Down" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney; from Let It Be
4. "Let It Be" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney; from Let It Be
5.  "Two Of Us" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney and Lennon; from Let It Be
6.  "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney; from Abbey Road

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1072 on: December 06, 2005, 10:36:59 PM »

Another tough round.  :-\

I can't listen to "Let It Be" and not think of December 8, 1980. As I was listening, in shock, to the news reports that were coming in live of Lennon being shot, and then hearing that the shooting was fatal, nothing registered for hours. I sat there emotionless, feeling nothing while I watched the weeping fans surrounding the Dakota building with candles, guitars, singing his songs and talking about how much John meant to each of them. It couldn't be true... it was like a dream. Then, at about 5:00 in the morning, the news program played "Let It Be", and the tears starting flowing as the reality of what had happened finally hit home. It's a great song, but the sentiment attached to it in my life makes it even greater. It's up against strong competition this round, and unfortunately, I'm going to have to cast a vote its way... if only in the third position.

1) Get Back
2) Julia

3) Let It Be
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1073 on: December 06, 2005, 10:45:26 PM »

1-  Julia
2-  I Want You

3-  Don't Let Me Down

The Daily Telegraph here today had a big two page spread about the day John was murdered.I was hoping it would be on their website but I couldn't see it there.
The paper had how Howard Cosell interuppted Monday Night Football to broadcast the news.Quotes from Steve Spiro the first NYPD cop on the scene.Some of what he said about the scene was too graphic for my liking.
They also had the photo that was mentioned earlier where John signed the album for Chapman,and also the legendary Rolling Stone cover of John and Yoko shot just 12 hours earlier in the day.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 11:06:13 PM by tgy » Logged

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1074 on: December 06, 2005, 11:21:23 PM »

Thanks for the links to those Lennon tracks Matt.Great stuff.I just got out my Lennon Collection tape,thinking there's no way this could still play after all these years but it does and still sounds great.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1075 on: December 07, 2005, 02:45:28 AM »

1-  Julia
2-  Let It Be

3-  I want You...

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1076 on: December 07, 2005, 04:53:35 AM »

First off thank you Matt for posting the Lennon songs.  I have played them all and will do again later today.   Great Idea of yours.  I did think of John while I listened.

Now for the vote..........There is no way I can vote Let It Be off so I will have to sacrifice one of the others and I don't really want to do that either.

1   I Want You (She's So Heavy)
2   Julia

3   Two Of Us
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1077 on: December 07, 2005, 09:21:13 AM »

I'm just like Lin ... cant' vote "Let it Be" off ...

1. Julia
2. Two of Us

3. I Want You

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1078 on: December 07, 2005, 09:40:38 AM »

1 Julia
2 Get Back
3 Let It Be

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1079 on: December 07, 2005, 10:18:36 AM »

very difficult choices....

1   I Want You
2   Julia

3   Two Of Us

I love all these songs.. :(

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 116 Go Up Print