News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 339423 times)
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #1080 on: December 07, 2005, 10:33:03 AM »

1. Don't Let Me Down
2. I Want You ( She's So Heavy )

3. Julia

Thanks for the JL tunes Matt  O0
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1081 on: December 07, 2005, 11:43:55 AM »

1.  Julia
5.  Two Of Us
6.  I Want You (She's So Heavy)

“Eyuh.”
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1082 on: December 07, 2005, 12:32:16 PM »

1. Julia
2. Get Back
3. Two Of Us

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1083 on: December 07, 2005, 12:35:16 PM »

There's a nice article up at CNN.com about Lennon, his life and his death.  http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/07/lennons.25.ap/index.html

I love the opening:

NEW YORK (AP) -- The song was only six years old, but might just as well have been 60.

Walking out of a college dormitory after visiting a friend one December night 25 years ago, I heard John Lennon's sweet song of longing, "#9 Dream," wafting out from an open door. It sounded wonderful. It sounded odd.

Why would a radio station or stereo be playing that? So much had happened since. Disco. Punk rock. Lennon had reconciled with Yoko Ono after a separation and was only then beginning to publicly emerge from a period where he concentrated on home life more than music. I couldn't remember the last time I'd heard the song.

I walked home. Then, when I saw a cluster of friends quietly gathered around a television set, the reason became sickeningly apparent.

It was December 8, 1980. A mentally disturbed fan who had collected Lennon's autograph earlier in the day waited outside of the Manhattan apartment building called the Dakota for the singer to return from a recording session. Mark David Chapman opened fire. Lennon didn't survive the trip to the hospital.

The musical hero of a generation was dead, and anyone who had ever sung along to "I Want to Hold Your Hand" or chanted "give peace a chance" also remembers where they were when they heard the news.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1084 on: December 07, 2005, 01:35:50 PM »

Yeah.. just thinking about Johns death takes me right back to the college lounge where I was when I heard the shocking news.. It really is one of those moments you never forget.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1085 on: December 07, 2005, 07:22:33 PM »

"If being an egomaniac means I believe in what I do and in my art or music, then in that respect
you can call me that... I believe in what I do, and I'll say it." - John Lennon

Here's some more Lennon songs, from his first two solo albums. I'm glad everyone enjoyed the songs from last night. Brendan, thanks for the CNN link.  :)

"Love" (Lennon) (From Plastic Ono Band, released December, 1970)
"Well Well Well" (Lennon) (From Plastic Ono Band)
"Imagine" (Lennon) (From Imagine, released September/October 1971)
"Crippled Inside" (Lennon) (From Imagine)

John and Yoko, 1971

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1086 on: December 07, 2005, 08:58:16 PM »

That ends Round 83. This time we lose "Julia" and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)".

This is the last round for the third run-through. As before, vote off two and list a third choice in the event of a tie.

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND EIGHTY-FOUR

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "Something" (Harrison); Lead vocal: Harrison, with McCartney (From Abbey Road)
2. "Carry That Weight" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon (From Abbey Road)
3.  "Here Comes The Sun" (Harrison); Lead vocal: Harrison, with Lennon and McCartney (From Abbey Road)
4. "Come Together" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon (From Abbey Road)
5.  "Because" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, McCartney and Harrison (From Abbey Road)
6.  "I Me Mine" (Harrison); Lead vocal: Harrison, with McCartney (From Let It Be)

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1087 on: December 07, 2005, 09:01:35 PM »

1) Carry That Weight
2) Because

3) I Me Mine
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1088 on: December 07, 2005, 10:09:33 PM »

1-  I Me Mine
2-  Because

3-  Carry That Weight

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1089 on: December 08, 2005, 12:33:33 AM »

1. Because
2. I Me Mine

3. Carry That Weight

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1090 on: December 08, 2005, 12:51:14 AM »

1. Because
2. Something
3. I Me Mine

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1091 on: December 08, 2005, 03:59:04 AM »

1   I Me Mine
2   Because

3   Carry That Weight

I listened to the John Lennon songs this morning and the many 5 minute tributes played on radio 4 but it wasn't until I listened to Imagine that the tears started to flow.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1092 on: December 08, 2005, 05:23:23 AM »

1 Carry That Weight
2 Because
3 I Me Mine

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1093 on: December 08, 2005, 06:05:53 AM »

I listened to the John Lennon songs this morning and the many 5 minute tributes played on radio 4 but it wasn't until I listened to Imagine that the tears started to flow.

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #1094 on: December 08, 2005, 09:57:13 AM »

1. Carry That Weight
2. Because

3. I Me Mine

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1095 on: December 08, 2005, 10:00:27 AM »

1   Because
2   I Me Mine

3   Carry That Weight

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1096 on: December 08, 2005, 06:39:41 PM »

"I don't intend to be a performing flea any more. I was the dreamweaver, but although
I'll be around I don't intend to be running at 20,000 miles an hour trying to prove myself.
I don't want to die at 40." - John Lennon

It was twenty-five years ago today that John Lennon was killed while returning home to his Dakota apartment in New York City. If anyone hasn't seen the thread Holden started in the Off Topic forum, here's the LINK.

Continuing the Lennon Tribute, here are four more songs from John's 1971 Imagine album:

"Jealous Guy" (Lennon)
"I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier" (Lennon)
"Gimme Some Truth" (Lennon)
"Oh My Love" (Lennon)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1097 on: December 08, 2005, 08:27:42 PM »

That ends Round 84. This time we lose "Because" and "I Me Mine".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND EIGHTY-FIVE

That's it for the third run-through. We've got 49 songs left, so I'm going to keep the game at five songs a round, and we'll still be voting off two for this fourth run-through.

And now... we go back to the beginning again.

As before, vote off two of the following songs, and list an alternate third choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed. The three surviving songs from this round will be brought back later in the game to compete with the other rounds' survivors.

1.  "Please Please Me"  (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison (From Please Please Me)
2. "I Saw Her Standing There" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon (From Please Please Me)
3.  "Twist And Shout" (Russell/Medley); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison (From Please Please Me)
4. "She Loves You" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison (From Past Masters Vol. 1)
5.  "It Won't Be Long" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison (From With The Beatles)

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1098 on: December 08, 2005, 10:11:26 PM »

1-  It Won't Be Long
2-  Please Please Me

3-  She Loves You

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1099 on: December 09, 2005, 01:30:33 AM »

1. It Won't Be Long
2.  Please Please Me

3. Twist and Shout

2007 Movie journal
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 116 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T