News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Appreciation Thread  (Read 339915 times)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1200 on: December 17, 2005, 07:50:13 AM »

1   Carry That Weight
2   Two Of Us

3   Let It Be

Matt, did the Radio Times Magazine Arrive?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1201 on: December 17, 2005, 10:31:04 AM »

Matt, did the Radio Times Magazine Arrive?

Yes, it did. Lin, I'm sorry... I wanted to write you and thank you, but I haven't had time to even open the magazine yet... and I wanted to be familiar with the article before writing you. It's been just so crazy the past week with all the Christmas stuff going on. I really hope to be able to sit down and read that and the LIFE Magazine I bought soon.

I didn't have time to listen to any of the radio links you sent me either. I guess I'm going to be really happy when the holidays are over this year and I have a little more spare time again.

1. Two Of Us
2. Come Together :'(
3. Carry That Weight :P ;)

AB, what is it about Carry That Weight that you like so much?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1202 on: December 17, 2005, 10:41:39 AM »

This thread has 1201 replies, and is the fifth largest thread in the history of this board.  :o  O0
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1203 on: December 17, 2005, 11:28:33 AM »

AB, what is it about Carry That Weight that you like so much?
I honestly don't know. There's something about it.
Hard to explain why sometimes you like a song so much  ???

Anyway, I couldn't vote it off.

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1204 on: December 17, 2005, 11:54:11 PM »

65,000 Beatles Fan Club members received this goody in the mail in time for Christmas, 1964. "Another Beatles Christmas Record" was recorded on October 26, 1964 (the same day they recorded "What You're Doing") and released December 18, 1964. Here are the notes from the sleeve, courtesy of http://www.pictographics.com/xmas/uk.html :

ANOTHER BEATLES CHRISTMAS RECORD sleeve notes:

Just a year ago The Beatles made their first Christmas record for exclusive distribution to fan club members. Now at the end of another splendid period of world-wide pop supremacy our fabulous foursome have made a second equally precious recording as a Christmas gift to the club's 65,000 Beatle People. This disc will not be in the hit parade. Additional copies will never be pressed. The contents of this sleeve will make each fan club member the envy of numerous friends. Money can't buy ANOTHER BEATLES CHRISTMAS RECORD but with membership of the most with it fan club in Britain the disc comes through your letter-box free of charge in time for yuletide parties and holiday record sessions. This is the uniquely pleasant way in which John, Paul, George and Ringo choose to say Thank You to thousands of their loyal fans throughout the nation.
     The Official Beatles Fan Club of Great Britain operates from special offices in Central London. National Secretaries Anne Collingham and Bettina Rose have a hard-working staff of full-time assistants to help run the club's affairs. And in every country throughout the British Isles there is a local Area Secretary to look after members queries on a voluntary basis. Overseas you'll find a branch of the club in more than a score of countries scattered around the globe. Each branch is run quite independently but with the authorisation and supervision of Anne and Bettina in London.
     The four boys find time to pop into the club headquarters despite their hectic schedule of tours, television appearances, recording sessions, film work and broadcasts. The girls in the office still retain vivid memories of the morning Paul dropped in for a chat, joined in with the gang to stamp up a batch of membership cards and then treated the entire staff to an excellent lunch in a nearby steakhouse!

Listen to it here: Another Beatles Christmas Record (1964)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1205 on: December 18, 2005, 12:17:00 AM »

That's it for Round 93, the final round of the fourth run-through. This time we lose "Carry That Weight" and "Two Of Us".

We're down to 29 songs. Here's the list:

I Saw Her Standing There
Twist and Shout
She Loves You
All My Loving
Can't Buy Me Love
Long Tall Sally
A Hard Day's Night
Things We Said Today
Ticket To Ride
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Help!
Norwegian Wood
Nowhere Man
Tomorrow Never Knows
Eleanor Rigby
Strawberry Fields Forever
A Day In The Life
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
I Am The Walrus
Revolution
Hey Jude
Dear Prudence
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Helter Skelter
Get Back
Let It Be
Something
Here Comes The Sun
Come Together

It would make a nice compilation double CD: Beatles Favorites. We'd catch hell, though, for not including "Yesterday".

BEATLES SONG SURVIVOR - ROUND NINETY-FOUR

This is the first round for the fifth run-through. For the remaining rounds, I'll be posting only three songs. We'll be voting off only ONE song, and listing a second choice that will only be used as a tie-breaker if needed.

And now... back to the beginning we go!

1.  "I Saw Her Standing There" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: McCartney, with Lennon (From Please Please Me)
2. "Twist And Shout" (Russell/Medley); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison (From Please Please Me)
3.  "She Loves You" (Lennon/McCartney); Lead vocal: Lennon, with McCartney and Harrison (From Past Masters Vol. 1)

(When I end a round and start the next, I'll need to take the songs from the previous round down so that the next round's songs will fit on the website. Therefore the links in each round will still show up, but they won't work once that round has ended.)

You can join in the game anytime. You don't need to have been voting from the beginning to play.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1206 on: December 18, 2005, 12:19:51 AM »

Man, this is tough.  :o

Guess I'm gonna go with the cover song  :-\

1) Twist and Shout

2) She Loves You

At this point, it really feels like a crap shoot. There's not one here I don't love, and not one I love a lot more than the other two.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1207 on: December 18, 2005, 12:34:24 AM »

Does anyone want to offer up a guess as to which song will be the sole survivor? I was hoping for "Helter Skelter" until I saw the amount of votes it received last round. Now I wonder if it'll even make it through this run-through.

"I Am The Walrus", after almost being voted off in the third run-through made a nice recovery in the fourth. As long as D'Amb and Chessie aren't voting  ;) I think it has a chance now.

Or, will it be "Strawberry Fields Forever"?
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1208 on: December 18, 2005, 12:34:45 AM »

1. Twist And Shout

2. I Saw Her

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1209 on: December 18, 2005, 12:39:57 AM »

Does anyone want to offer up a guess as to which song will be the sole survivor? I was hoping for "Helter Skelter" until I saw the amount of votes it received last round. Now I wonder if it'll even make it through this run-through.

"I Am The Walrus", after almost being voted off in the third run-through made a nice recovery in the fourth. As long as D'Amb and Chessie aren't voting  ;) I think it has a chance now.

I wish it was Eleanor Rigby or While My Guitar Gently Weeps ... but maybe they're already gone  ???
But I'm sure Eleanor Rigby will go anyway. It was almost voted off a few rounds ago if I remember well  :-\

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1210 on: December 18, 2005, 12:41:48 AM »

They're both still here. I was wondering if George had a chance of composing the "best" Beatles song. I'd think "Here Comes The Sun" might beat out "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", though.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1211 on: December 18, 2005, 01:01:14 AM »

That's exactly what I was thinking about with "Get Back".
All I know is the sole survivor will come from the 1967-70 period.
As for this round   

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1212 on: December 18, 2005, 01:34:13 AM »

I reckon Strawberry Fields has a strong chance.. as does Walrus and Something.. It's still wide open.

This round

1   Twist And Shout

2   She Loves You

Long Tall Sally must go....... soon

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1213 on: December 18, 2005, 01:53:19 AM »

1. Twist And Shout
2 . She Loves You

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1214 on: December 18, 2005, 03:42:29 AM »

Oh well,like I've said in the past,the longer you take to decide the harder it is.So.........

1-  Twist And Shout

2-  She Loves You

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1215 on: December 18, 2005, 04:28:22 AM »

I like all the songs remaining, and only "Long Tall Sally" I think made it too far, which isn't to say that my own personal choices wouldn't have been different -- like "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" over "Get Back"!   :)  (But "Things We Said Today" made it to the top 29!)

But I hope the surviving song is a John song.  My favorite Paul song remaining isn't even in the top ten from these surviving songs!

My votes:

1 Twist and Shout
2 She Loves You

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1216 on: December 18, 2005, 06:23:51 AM »

1. Twist And Shout
2. She Loves You

Joining you for the first time in a long time...I confess I was living in a kibbutz for the past few months. Living the hermit life :) Anyway what better way to return than to post about The Beatles? :) And RIP John Lennon, although I'm a little late for the anniversary...

P.S. I would love Norwegian Wood to survive. Such a beautiful song, don't you think, Matt?

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Lucky Punk

Email
« Reply #1217 on: December 18, 2005, 07:44:44 AM »

1. Twist and Shout - time to say goodbye to the cover
                                 versions.

2. She Loves You

Long Tall Sally must go....... soon

I can't believe it's still here, I would not have said it was their best cover  ???
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1218 on: December 18, 2005, 08:06:15 AM »

Hi Ally! Great to see you posting again, and especially here in this thread!  :)

P.S. I would love Norwegian Wood to survive. Such a beautiful song, don't you think, Matt?

Yup, it's one of my favorites.

I guess I can be blamed somewhat for "Long Tall Sally" still being here. I don't think I placed a vote against that one yet this game. However, I'm ready for it to go this time. The cover songs must go this time through.

I think the only song I feel made it too far is "Get Back"! (Sorry, tgy!) It was up against strong competition, and IMO better songs, and managed to scrape through. I think it'll have to go this time.  >:D

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1219 on: December 18, 2005, 01:30:32 PM »

Difficult choice but here it is.

1 Twist and Shout   :'(

She Loves You   :'(
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 116 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T