News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: little_bill's Golf Thread  (Read 187631 times)
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #560 on: November 14, 2009, 09:41:08 PM »

Par will do...game over.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #561 on: November 14, 2009, 09:45:28 PM »

Some great golf!!!  

Makes me want to get out there and swing the sticks...  

:)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #562 on: November 14, 2009, 09:55:18 PM »

Some great golf!!!   

Makes me want to get out there and swing the sticks... 

:)

Certainly has inspired me for next Sunday. 8)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #563 on: November 14, 2009, 10:14:04 PM »

Well done Tiger, I hope he comes back down again soon.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #564 on: November 14, 2009, 10:41:18 PM »

That’s Tiger being Tiger…

He’s got a mouth like a sailor too…

Get use to it Kid... ;)

I'm sorry, that's not acceptable to me by anyone playing the game. I can tolerate the swearing. I could probably give him a run for his money in that department but throwing clubs is a disgrace & totally unacceptable.

If tennis officials had stamped out McEnroe when he first started all his nonsense it would never had gotten as bad as it did. Sure a fine no matter how big probably won't affect Tiger's bank balance, but the officials can't sit on their hands and just let it happen because he's the best player in the world.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #565 on: November 14, 2009, 10:45:37 PM »

2009 Australian Masters Champion. Tiger Woods. Will he return to defend the title in 2010?

http://www.pga.org.au/default.aspx?s=scores

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #566 on: November 15, 2009, 03:08:17 AM »

OK, I admit, when I first heard that it took $3,000,000 to get Tiger down here to play it was absurd. I still think for the best player in the world who is now worth $1,000,000,000 to ask for that is ridiculous, but anyway, what it did for golf down here was phenomenal. I haven't seen crowds like that in 20 years at a tournament down here.

The whole thing was so well run, except for camera's still be allowed on the course, there wasn't any incidents where you could say that it ruined the week. A couple of years ago they got Tiger down in New Zealand for their Open and the organizers charged absolute absurd prices that hardly anyone showed up and after paying Tiger's fee it was a financial disaster. This week, I think the prices were only around $50, and look at the result. Over 100,000 people for the four days. Plus all the tourism it did for Melbourne, the organizers have certainly gotten their money back and some.

I never gave Tiger much hope of winning before the tournament started. For one, I don't think he'd ever played the course before this week, and I've always said he'll find out just how different our courses are to what he's used to playing on week in week out in the States. He'd be out of his comfort zone.

So he comes out and shoots 66, 68 the first two days and I've got egg all over my face. It was Saturday's round that made me realize just how good a player Tiger is. He had a shocker, but still managed to shoot an even par 72. Had anyone else played the way he did, they would've been looking at a 76 or 78.

Sunday watching him play was strange. Whenever I watch a tournament from the States and it's the final round and Tiger's in the hunt to win, I'm always cheering for the other guy, just because no one can ever step up and rattle Tiger and beat him. Y.E Yang was the first player I've seen do it earlier this year.

So now today, playing against a lot of Aussie's, I'm cheering him on. I don't know why. I mean it would have been great for an Aussie to win of course and maybe I just got caught up in all the hype and the whole tournament was built around Tiger this week. Camera's were practically on him 24/7. If you weren't playing in his group you didn't get a lot of TV coverage unless you were vying for the lead or hit a super shot.

So all in all, a super week for golf here in Australia, and I do hope Tiger comes back to defend his title next year. Jack Nicklaus won six Australian Opens and that's why I still rate him a better player than Tiger with all the victories Jack had outside the US. If in 10 years Tiger has won more majors than Jack and has won down here a half dozen times, then I'll consider Tiger the greatest ever.

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #567 on: November 15, 2009, 03:41:12 AM »

I was surprised to see Tiger's litle tantrum and also to read of the cost of getting him to Melbourne to play. However I enjoyed the bits I was able to watch and like you SK hope he does return to defend the title.   I know it has brought extra cash to Melbourne but it still seems a lot of money to get a player to Australia.  I listened to a news program on the radio which talked about the money brought into the area for the 3 million outlay to get Tiger to play.

I agree with you SK there is no need for foul language from competitors no matter WHO they are, nor throwing clubs in a dangerous manner.  I am no prude and can 'say' my piece too but I don't expect a role model like Tiger to let fly as he does.
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #568 on: November 16, 2009, 04:51:26 PM »

I'm sorry, that's not acceptable to me by anyone playing the game. I can tolerate the swearing. I could probably give him a run for his money in that department but throwing clubs is a disgrace & totally unacceptable.

I’m sorry too.

His demeanor after poor shots is the one part of Tigers game that I don’t respect. 

I remember when I was 14 and was playing with my dad and the second the club left my hands during a tantrum he told me If I threw another club that he would lock up my set for the summer.  That was enough for me to stop.

It is kind of a shame that he gets away with it but on the other hand there is no rule against being angry at yourself…
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #569 on: November 16, 2009, 05:53:43 PM »

Tiger also turned down an offer from Sydney of 5 million dollars to play there. Talk of millions of dollars to get him play gets some idiots upset because they don't think of the bigger picture. They were projecting a figure of 19 million injection of cash into Melbourne, well that's not even half of it.

Club memberships at local golf clubs has risen by 30% along with bookings for the average Joe Smith. Kids interest in the sport has sky rocketed.

Could you imagine the amount of weight lost by more people playing the sport because one ot the greatest golfers was in town. Not to mention the flow on effect. 

Yes I agree SK, the dummy spit was not acceptable, it was overshadowed by his first time appearence in a long time.
1936ireckonso

Willow weep for me.

View Profile Email
« Reply #570 on: November 17, 2009, 09:23:26 AM »

:) Good lunchtime from a part of The American Midwest-USA:

TIGER WON !!   TIGER WON!!    Great comments by everybody!!  Here in the Colonies, in our little place in the world, we have been supporting (cheering) TIGER
as soon as we learned about him....

We don't support club throwing or bad swearing but He's such a complete champion that we learn to get over it....

We saw him tee off on Hole #10 ....it was magnificient at Jack Nicklaus' Memorial Tournament.....Our first time to see him in person...For us, here in OHIO-USA, he is a class act.....has all the good stuff.....practice, exercise, you name it....

Well I thank you again for your great comments .....Now, I hope I have good luck posting this.

THAT'S SOME BAD HAT, HARRY !!!

DOUG OF DUBLIN, OHIO-USA
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #571 on: November 24, 2009, 12:52:14 AM »

This was in last Sunday's paper, but it was so small that you could have easily missed it.

TIGER Woods was correctly treated the same as any other pro when disciplined for a couple of indiscretions at the Australian Masters.

The Australasian PGA Tour confirmed Woods was fined for "club abuse" when his driver finished in the crowd after a bad tee shot on the 13th hole during the third round.

And there's more.

Woods also copped a fine for an "audible obscenity" during his opening round.

The Tour does not reveal amounts of fines.

But whatever the damage, it would have been a mere round of drinks for Tiger. Apparently, the great man happily coughed up.

Courier Mail

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #572 on: November 24, 2009, 02:25:34 AM »

Well it seems Tiger has redeemed himsef even if it only made the small print.  LOL

I suppose people who are in the limelight and very good at what they do, will react without thinking when they don't perform as they feel they should.  As he paid up without a problem then perhaps he may think before he acts in the future.  :)
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #573 on: November 28, 2009, 10:59:08 PM »

Tiger was in a car accident early Friday morning and his wife had to pull him from the car after busting a window out with a golf club.  He was in and out of consciousness before autorities arrived his wife told police.  Apperently he pulled out of his driveway, hit a fire hydrant and smashed into a tree.  At least this is what I've heard today...

He suffered facial lacerations and after being in serious condtion yesterday he is in good condition today...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-bk-tiger-woods-accident,0,1369881.story
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 11:00:09 PM by D'Ambrosia » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #574 on: November 28, 2009, 11:03:34 PM »

Well the story I heard was completely different as to why his wife was smashing the window of his car with a golf club, & if it's true I don't really want to know about his private life problems. If he wasn't hounded enough by the media before, it's all about to get a whole lot worse.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #575 on: November 28, 2009, 11:04:33 PM »

Hmmpf, my all-news radio station keeps blasting a different version of that Tiger accident story. I suppose we'll find out all too much, all too soon.

Hope Tiger is OK anyway, and back to the golf course soon.

EDIT: Kid and I posted at the same time. ;)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #576 on: November 29, 2009, 09:45:09 PM »

I just saw a snippet of John Daly on the tv. They said he's half the man he used to be. AND he looks it too. Whoa. That must have been one crash diet!!

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #577 on: November 29, 2009, 10:30:07 PM »

Our Sunday papers had their take on Tiger's accident.  I do wish the media would leave these people alone. 
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #578 on: November 30, 2009, 10:48:19 PM »

This week it's The Australian Open. To be played at the NSW Golf Club. All the big names in Australian golf are competing. Unfortunately Greg Norman has pulled out due to injury. His replacement American Freddy Couples has also withdrawn due to injury. John Daly is back again. Can he make the cut this year? Will another camera get thrown against a tree?

Australian Open

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #579 on: December 03, 2009, 01:50:40 AM »

Stuart Appleby and Scott Hend share the lead at 6-under par following two remarkable rounds of golf. Hend took advantage of calm conditions in the morning while Appleby fought the afternoon winds to post his own round of 66.

http://playgolf.com.au/default.aspx?s=mao

http://playgolf.com.au/default.aspx?s=scores

John Daly shot an even round of 72.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 51 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T