News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chicago...and Eastwood  (Read 3287 times)
Blu

Would you like some of Bill Carson's tobacco too ?

View Profile Email
« on: February 17, 2003, 05:13:34 PM »

I saw Chicago yesterday, a production by Miramax Studios --not a bad modern musical....At the end in the credits, they mentioned that the score, or part of it, was mixed at  Warner Brothers "Eastwood Studio"...  Does Clint have a special mixing studio at WB ??  I imagine he would, wouldn't he...

-Blu

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'[/b]...."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2003, 05:45:22 PM »

Blu, I vaguely recall reading somewhere, sometime, that a mixing studio at Warner Bros. was named after Eastwood. But, I can't track down the source. Can someone else?  ???  (I looked all over the Warners site without success.)

Glad you enjoyed Chicago. I liked it too.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2003, 05:47:20 PM by KC » Logged
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 06:05:15 PM »

Here's an excerpt from an article about the Eastwood Scoring Stage, featured on the MixOnline.com site:

"Between two locations, WBPPS offers 11 re-recording and scoring stages - including the legendary Eastwood Scoring Stage, which was originally built in 1929. Rededicated to Clint Eastwood in April 1999, the scoring stage underwent an extensive restoration that included installation of a new console, along with vocal and percussion booths. At 5,000 square feet, the Eastwood Scoring Stage has room for a 120-member orchestra and a custom nine-foot Steinway piano, and has been the choice for top feature film and television composers for over three decades."
Complete article

Here's WB's webpage on it: link
« Last Edit: February 17, 2003, 06:17:17 PM by Agent » Logged

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 06:23:25 PM »

Thanks, Agent! With that help I found an "official" Warner Bros. page ... no mention of why it's called what it's called, though ...
Eastwood Scoring Stage

This is from the Variety archives ... I won't post a link, because site access is by paid subscription only. The item (by Jon Burlingame) appeared in Variety, Jan. 18, 2001.
Warner Bros. also claims classic status. Its scoring stage, where Max Steiner scored "Casablanca" and "The Big Sleep," and Erich Wolfgang Korngold recorded swashbucklers like "The Adventures of Robin Hood" and "The Sea Hawk," was restored and modernized in '99. It's been renamed for director Clint Eastwood, in part because he has long insisted that his films be scored locally and because he was a driving force behind its restoration.

Eastwood's regular composer, Lennie Niehaus, used a 93-piece orchestra and 26-voice choir for Eastwood's latest, "Space Cowboys."

"The sound is much better since they refurbished it," Niehaus says. "Everybody seems happy with the sound."

Ooops, Agent already edited his post to add the Warners "official" link. All right ... no one should miss it now!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2003, 06:28:53 PM by KC » Logged
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 10:26:01 PM »

Your welcome. There are plenty of "Eastwood Studios" around the globe, including one in Japan, and an Eastwood "Tatoo" studio I found in Germany, I believe, but I doubted Clint was involved in the tatoo business.  ;D

The Scoring Stage was found by accident, believe it or not.  ;)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 11:18:14 PM »

Hmm, that Eastwood (Tatoo) Studio is in Sweden, of all places ... wonder why on earth they called it that?  ???
Daisy Abigael

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2003, 02:32:22 AM »

Re: Tattoos.

There used to be a tattoo joint on the Sunderland Road, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, UK.  May still be there, canny lad!

In the window it prominantly displayed a design based on the poster for The Outlaw Josey Wales - Clint with double pistols, flowing mane etc.  This was a full-back design!  

There was also a Dirty Harry one.

I resisted the temptation - I can't stand pain! :o

Has anybody out there actually got one?  KC - how about you? ;)

Daisy Girl!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2003, 02:56:22 AM »

:o Oy, Daisy, not me, I don't even have my ears pierced. (Or anything else! ;) )

But, we digress ...  ::)
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2003, 10:09:45 AM »

I hate tattoos, and think they're hideous. And yes, I've got an old faded one (bald eagle with flag) way back from my youth  ;), one night while on a drunken spree. Hope to have it removed someday.

As far as Eastwood's Scoring Stage, makes you wonder what famous movies throughout the years were either recorded there (with full orchestra), or mixed there. I don't know if such a list exists (except within the records/files located at Warner's), but it would be interesting to know.

right turn clyde

Shockley, you big prick !

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2003, 12:00:31 PM »

There's a Clint Eastwood diner at Warners Star City cinema in sunny Brum !
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T