News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coop's Eastwood Reviews  (Read 44052 times)
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2014, 04:39:08 PM »

Josey Wales should had been a 4 hour movie.
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

"There are two kinds of men in this world"

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2014, 01:34:25 AM »

Amen, Perry!

About a week ago, or maybe two, hmmm, it might have been three, I had the good luck of stumbling over a book in the previously-read-bookstore. The book that the film was based on. It is actually two books in one in the edition I found; The Outlaw Josey Wales, and, The vengeance Trail of Josey Wales.

I highly recommend the book to anyone interested in the film. If I ever get over my fear of computer stuff I will scan the book cover and post it so you all can identify it. The book covers a lot of ground that was left out of the film, and the film could have easily been four hours long or longer, and still keenly held my interest!

"In all the excitement I lost count myself'
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2014, 04:58:59 AM »

4 hours, that would be something.  Reading the book(s) would be a great winter-time venture. 

“Eyuh.”
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2014, 02:27:58 PM »

I should seek the book out. Actually Jed, Josey Wales does drag by the time Grandma,TenSpotand the rest are doing the campfire dances. I actually was looking @ the Box Office/Budget and pretty impressive @ 3.7 budget and a take in of almost 32 million. Not too shabby...

OX-BO
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »

We've discussed the books (at least the first one, on which the film was based) and their author a number of times on this Board over the years. Here's a link to a thread from one of our formal Film Discussions (goes back to 2004):

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=2985.0

And another thread from 2003, continued in 2010 ...

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/?topic=1331.0

As noted there, the book was first published under the title The Rebel Outlaw: Josey Wales, and subsequently under the titles Gone to Texas and The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Here's the cover of the edition I have of both books in one volume:

The same edition with a new cover design is still available from Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/isbn=0826311687/clinteastwood-20/

The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2014, 11:37:37 PM »

4 hours, that would be something.  Reading the book(s) would be a great winter-time venture. 

To be sure, the book was a great adventure for me. It is extremely well written, I dare to say it is on a par with Steinbeck's Grapes Of Wrath or Hemingway's Old Man And The Sea.

I am not a speed-reader. I never ever zoom and skim through any written material. And so I do not consequently miss the 90% or more that the average speed-reader misses. Yet the book captured my attention so strongly that I read it in three days. No, I was not reading 24 hours a day. It is so well written that I read normally but also very quickly and thoroughly. 

The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2014, 11:41:21 PM »

KC...Thanks for bailing me out in my computer ineptness!  O0

That's my book and my cover!  :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:43:22 PM by The Man With No Aim » Logged

The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2014, 12:01:58 AM »

The gun on the book cover is obviously a 1851 Colt's Navy which was originally manufactured in only 36 caliber, and accepted a maximum charge of  40 grains of black powder. That is the exact equivalent of the present day 38 Special. The Colt's Navy, according to the book, was Josey's backup gun, kept in a shoulder holster under his left arm.

In the book Josey packed two BIG 44s as his main guns, which in the day could have meant either Colt's Dragoon 44s, which accepted 50 grains maximum black powder, or, Colt's Walker 44s, which accepted 60 grains of black powder. In the movie Josey is shown packing two Walkers on his gunbelt. The knockdown power of a Walker with a full 60 grain load was surprisingly close to the modern 44 Magnum. If there was one thing you would really enjoy, it would be if you did not get shot with a Walker.

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2014, 05:49:25 AM »

Thanks, KC and TMWNA.  Here are some various book cover images, as well as a pressbook.

“Eyuh.”
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2014, 06:22:53 AM »

The pressbook, of course, is publicity for the movie and has nothing to do with Carter's book. Nice image, though.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2014, 01:54:58 PM »

The pressbook, of course, is publicity for the movie and has nothing to do with Carter's book. Nice image, though.

I agree.  It was on the page when I did a search online so I thought it'd be good to include it with the others.  I used to own a pressbook on Dirty Harry.  I gave it away but wish I hadn't. 

“Eyuh.”
The Man With No Aim
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2014, 12:54:01 AM »

It was super to see those book cover pictures. Thanks for posting them.

One of them is a puzzler. The one in the middle in the bottom row. Josey is holding two pistols BUT his right hand holster has a pistol sitting in it.

BUT #2; the pistols in his hands look the same size, and look the right LARGE size to be his Walker main pistols. So.....

The one in the holster is the "odd man out" and has to be his little backup Colt Navy.

So, he is using his main Walker pistols AFTER he has already used his backup Navy and dispatched it to his hip holster?  :o It aint likely.

The aesthetics of that particular picture are superb. I am ashamed to bring up such a logistics quibble. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:55:25 AM by The Man With No Aim » Logged

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2014, 07:14:57 AM »

Tightrope (8/17/84)

Rating as of 11/14/11: **

Most recent viewing(s): 9/02/14

New rating: ****

Review: Tightrope and City Heat 30th Anniversaries
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 06:07:07 AM by Brian Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2014, 06:06:02 AM »

City Heat (12/07/84)

Most recent viewing(s): 9/03/14

New rating: ***

Review: Tightrope and City Heat 30th Anniversaries

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2014, 05:16:44 AM »

Million Dollar Baby (12/15/04)

Rating as of 11/14/11: ****

Most recent viewing(s): 9/04/14

New rating: *****

Review: Million Dollar Baby 10th Anniversary

“Eyuh.”
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2014, 11:29:45 AM »

I've been following your reviews, Brian. What do you think accounts for your rating many of these movies much better now than you did initially? Do you feel like you are just appreciating all of Eastwood's work as an actor more now because you realize that he rarely acts anymore and is unlikely to do much more of it in the future, or have you found yourself actually believing that these movies are actually better than you initially evaluated them to be for other reasons?

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2014, 11:45:47 AM »

I've been following your reviews, Brian. What do you think accounts for your rating many of these movies much better now than you did initially? Do you feel like you are just appreciating all of Eastwood's work as an actor more now because you realize that he rarely acts anymore and is unlikely to do much more of it in the future, or have you found yourself actually believing that these movies are actually better than you initially evaluated them to be for other reasons?

Hi Aka,

This is a two-part answer.  First, not all of my ratings have stayed the same since my initial viewings.  For example, I loved Sudden Impact when I first saw it on the big screen in 1983.  That's becuase I was a new fan and was very disappointed with Firefox and am sure I wouldn't have liked Honkytonk Man had I seen it when it came out.  Had you asked me what my rating was for Sudden Impact then, back in 1983, it probably would've been 5 stars.  Over the years, I've liked Sudden Impact less and less.  I think my rating may have improved upon seeing it more recently, and here's the reason why:  Second, yes, absolutely.  You hit the nail on the head.  Clint hardly acts anymore so I'm finding now that I take pleasure in watching films he starred in that I otherwise didn't care for much.  I honestly didn't think this would happen with films like Firefox, Where Eagles Dare, City Heat, Kelly's Heroes and Tightrope but am glad I was wrong.  I'm still doubting this will happen with Pink Cadillac and The Rookie, but anything can happen. 

I used to rate Million Dollar Baby with 4 stars but enjoyed seeing it again so much that I felt it warranted 5.  This isn't so muich for the reasons stated above.  I haven't seen MDB as much as his earlier work and seeing it again now not only reinforced my opinion that it's a very good movie but also, that it's one of his best.

I think age plays a big part.  You experience various things throughout life and you realize your thought process, perspective and/or opinions change.  I'm only speaking for myself, of course.  This happened a handful of years ago with how I felt about Elvis films.  For the most part, I thought they were useless and stupid.  Now I take them for what they are which is for the most part, musical comedies.  They're light entertainment and there's a few exceptions that are very good but light entertainment/musical comedies best sums up his body of films.  Instead of expecting more, enjoying them for what they are has made a huge difference. 

Not that I return to Elvis movies anywhere near the amount of times I return to Eastwood's.  No, Eastwood has been my favorite actor since the winter of '81/'82 and I don't see that ever changing.  Nobody even comes close. 

Now I just wonder if this will happen with Breezy, Bird & Hereafter.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:51:13 AM by Brian Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: October 29, 2014, 12:38:47 PM »

Thunderbolt And Lightfoot (5/23/74)

Most recent viewing(s): 10/28/14

New rating: ***

Current review:  Thunderbolt And Lightfoot 40th Anniversary

“Eyuh.”
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2020, 05:10:41 PM »

Going through the some old topics with all these best of each decade topics recently and found this thread.

I've updated my list and some ratings have changed as well.

A Fistful Of Dollars *****
For A Few Dollars More ****
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly *****
Hang ‘Em High ***
Coogan’s Bluff ***
Where Eagles Dare ***
Paint Your Wagon ***
Kelly’s Heroes ****
Two Mules For Sister Sara ***
The Beguiled ***
Play Misty For Me **** 
Dirty Harry *****