News: Eastwood's latest work, "Jersey Boys," premiers in most locations on June 20th, 2014.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eastwood guns  (Read 37606 times)
onaka1

View Profile Email
« on: November 14, 2005, 12:04:11 AM »

Hi
New member here

I have always been a huge fan since I saw Fistfull of Dollars at about age 10.

I am always curious as to what revolver Eastwood used in his films. Particularly the Man with NO Name films. Is it always the same one?  Is it different from Josie Wales or Pale Rider?

I would like to get one like he used.

Thanks
KC
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 07:22:26 AM »

Hi, onaka1, and welcome to the Board. I see you've already found the "Clint's guns" thread. I hope most of your questions are answered there. 
Racer X

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 02:15:57 AM »

Hi
New member here

I have always been a huge fan since I saw Fistfull of Dollars at about age 10.

I am always curious as to what revolver Eastwood used in his films. Particularly the Man with NO Name films. Is it always the same one?  Is it different from Josie Wales or Pale Rider?

I would like to get one like he used.

Thanks

Go to www.spaghettiwesterns.1g.fi and click that "guns" button.

In  the Good,  the bad and the ugly Blondie is using a Remington revolver model 1861, converted for the cartridges. (at the time, during civil war, only remington had  a factory made revolver chamber that used cartridges.)

Angel Eyes is using a Colt Navy Model 1861. That is not a cartridge revolver but Angel Eyes may have hired a gunsmith to convert his revolver chamber for the cartridges.

In Fistful and in a few more Manco and Joe are using Colt peacemaker model 1872. Cal 45.

KC
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 07:29:03 AM »

In  the Good,  the bad and the ugly Blondie is using a Remington revolver model 1861, converted for the cartridges. (at the time, during civil war, only remington had  a factory made revolver chamber that used cartridges.)

Are you sure it's a Remington, Racer X? Our gun expert has identified it as a "Navy" Colt model 1851, modified to take cartridges. See this post in the "Clint's Guns" thread:
http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/index.php?topic=4347.msg12629#msg12629

It is also identified as a "Colt Navy, Cal. .36" in the site you linked to in your own post!  ;)
Racer X

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 12:36:39 AM »

Are you sure it's a Remington, Racer X? Our gun expert has identified it as a "Navy" Colt model 1851, modified to take cartridges. See this post in the "Clint's Guns" thread:

It is also identified as a "Colt Navy, Cal. .36" in the site you linked to in your own post!  ;)

Oh yes. I'm sorry.
harley

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 10:14:23 PM »

In the gbu clint was using a 1851 colt, in josey wales, he had a pair of 1847 colt walkers. In fist full of dollars he had a 1873 colt .
HarveyLogan

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 01:05:10 PM »

Angel Eyes is using a Colt Navy Model 1861. That is not a cartridge revolver but Angel Eyes may have hired a gunsmith to convert his revolver chamber for the cartridges.

In Fistful and in a few more Manco and Joe are using Colt peacemaker model 1872. Cal 45.

I believe you have that backwards. Angel Eyes is using a Remington 1858 New Army cap & ball revolver, caliber .44.  Blondie is shooting an open top Colt revolver, first issued in 1872 by the Colt Co. and a direct ancestor of the 1873 Peacemaker. The difference is the open top frame of the Colt. No Remington ever had an open top frame as far as I know. As an aside, Tuco also used a Colt open top. As a matter of fact, he put one together out of the best parts of the best revolvers the storekeeper had. It eventually turned out to be mostly an 1851 Navy Colt conversion. In addition to the open top frame, notice the rectangular keeper that clips the barrel section to the frame. Now cartridges were very rare for revolvers during the Civil War, so the part where Tuco asked the shopkeep for cartridges would have probably been met with the answer "we don't have any for pistols, sir." It is possible that some gunsmiths somewhere had made some cartridge conversions but still, ammo would have been a real problem at that time. The majority of revolvers used in TGTBATU were not period correct. Nobody had cartridge loops sewn on their belts in that time period. >:D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 06:45:52 PM by KC » Logged
KC
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:57:45 PM »

Hi, HarveyLogan, and welcome to the board! I hope you don't mind that I edited your post so you could better tell where the post you were quoting stopped and yours began.

If you look just below the post you're quoting, you'll find a link to this post by our resident gun expert, D'Ambrosia:

In brief, it's D'Ambrosia's opinion that Blondie is using "a modified 1851 Navy Colt (modified, no doubt, by a dubious gunsmith).  It has been converted to fire metallic cartridges which was extremely rare in the day but a few guns around then could fire these bullets (Smith and Wesson)." He also says "The Gun the that Blondy uses in The Good the Bad and the Ugly seems to be some sort of Super Modified Bad-Ass Gun; Pre-prototye Richards Conversion  ... Although there were metallic cartridges during the Civil War (Smith and Wesson, .44 Henry Rimfire, .22 Short and .56-56 Spencer to name a few) Leone thought to put the barrel of an 1851 Colt Navy on the frame of an 1851 Navy that had been changed to the Richards-Mason cartridge conversion which didn't happen until 1871?" 

Here's a couple of pictures of Blondie's revolver:

As you note, the truth is probably that Leone simply wasn't very particular about using guns that were absolutely correct for their period. ;)
toemoss71

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 01:21:50 PM »

As to the classic "Man With No Name" revolver - according to the Cimarron Firearms website it's an 1851 Colt cartridge conversion.  See the website at:

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Conversions/ManNo%20NameConv.htm#

Yes you can buy one from them:

Item #  CA9081
MSRP  $479.70
Cal.  .38 Colt & S&W Special
Length 7 1/2"
Wht.  2.85 Lbs.
Frame  Case Hardened
Grip  1 Piece Walnut
Finish  Standard Blue

If you want the silver rattlesnake inlay in the grip the price is $687.70 (all other specs are the same).

MY NAME IS NOBODY

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 05:00:10 PM »

Hi, HarveyLogan, and welcome to the board! I hope you don't mind that I edited your post so you could better tell where the post you were quoting stopped and yours began.

If you look just below the post you're quoting, you'll find a link to this post by our resident gun expert, D'Ambrosia:

In brief, it's D'Ambrosia's opinion that Blondie is using "a modified 1851 Navy Colt (modified, no doubt, by a dubious gunsmith).  It has been converted to fire metallic cartridges which was extremely rare in the day but a few guns around then could fire these bullets (Smith and Wesson)." He also says "The Gun the that Blondy uses in The Good the Bad and the Ugly seems to be some sort of Super Modified Bad-Ass Gun; Pre-prototye Richards Conversion  ... Although there were metallic cartridges during the Civil War (Smith and Wesson, .44 Henry Rimfire, .22 Short and .56-56 Spencer to name a few) Leone thought to put the barrel of an 1851 Colt Navy on the frame of an 1851 Navy that had been changed to the Richards-Mason cartridge conversion which didn't happen until 1871?" 

Here's a couple of pictures of Blondie's revolver:

As you note, the truth is probably that Leone simply wasn't very particular about using guns that were absolutely correct for their period. ;)

This is the first time I have seen these pictures.  I have never seen a SA Colt or Remington Factory CB to Cartridge or Gunsmith Modified CB to Cartridge with the loading gate on the left hand side in 60 plus years?? Is this a reversed negative?? There were a large number of left hand Actors in Westerns for some reason from the 60's up but this modification would not help a left-hand shooter.  There is a NEW SA put out by EMF Great Western 2 "Alchimista"that is similar to some of the pistols used in the Eastwood Westerns. It is an 1873 Colt SAA with a BRASS 1860 Colt GRIP FRAME. Colt never made any 1873 SAA Models with Brass Grip Frames as most of the Eastwood Movies portray and a lot of made for TV Films seem to like to use.  It is an interesting combination though, even if it is New cheap Gun Iron.
D'Ambrosia
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 05:29:50 PM »

That particular screen capture is not mine but it looks like it might very well be reversed.  I'm loading up The Good The Bad and the Ugly DVD right now and should have your answer shortly...
D'Ambrosia
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 05:58:44 PM »

NOBODY, that screen cap does indeed look to be reversed!  It looks as if it might have been captured from a VHS copy due to the pan and scan aspect ratio.  Maybe KC can explain it's origin when she returns to the board.

Below are screen caps, the first one being the one in queston, and the second being the cap off of my DVD copy and as close to the original as I could get.  Clearly you can see on my screen caps that the loading gate is indeed on the right where it belongs.  The thrid screen cap confirms that the loading gate is on the right as well.  It is curious…  Thanks for bringing it to our attention.  Interesting…

The fourth screen cap is, well, I just had to throw Clint’s squint in there for good measure!

“KC!  You have some splaining to do…”  ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 07:24:25 PM by D'Ambrosia » Logged
KC
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 07:16:58 PM »

NOBODY, that screen cap does indeed look to be reversed!  It looks as if it might have been captured from a VHS copy due to the pan and scan aspect ratio.  Maybe KC can explain it's origin when she returns to the board....

“KC!  You have some splaining to do…”  ;)

D'Amb, I have no idea what happened there. I went back to look at the original files on my computer. Apparently, on July 2, 2003, I made a screen cap from GBU that looked like this ... except slightly larger. It was indeed from a DVD; I've never owned a VHS copy of this movie.

I must have wanted to post it on the Board back then to make some point or other and I probably cropped it to make some detail more evident. But why on earth would I have "flipped" it? I don't usually do things like that and I complain when I catch others doing it. The answer, unfortunately, is lost in the mists of time.

I'm sorry if I confused MY NAME IS NOBODY. (By the way, MNIN, welcome to the Board!)

D'Amb, for some reason I can't see the third and fourth caps you posted. ???
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 07:18:20 PM by KC » Logged
D'Ambrosia
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 07:25:59 PM »

D'Amb, for some reason I can't see the third and fourth caps you posted. ???

That's strange?  They were working last night... :-\
rojblake

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »

Outlaw Josey Wales...a pair of Walker Colts in holsters, an 1860 Colt Army in his belt, & various forms of smaller pistols in his shoulder holster; & an 1874 Sharps Rifle.

Pale Rider, an 1858 Remington New Army with modified cylinders for cartridges, & a New Model Police...also with modified cylinder.

Those conversions were available in 1868 (After the Civil War BTW, Smith & Wesson held the patent & leased it to Remington to the exclusion of Colt..they had to wait until 1871-1872)

In the Good Bad & the Ugly Clint uses an 1851 Navy, I forget what Wallach was carrying & if memory serves Lee Van Cleef carried an 1858 Remington New Army. Clint also used a rifle "mocked-up" to be a Henry Rifle.

The "Rattlesnake" inlay first appeared, from my limited viewing, on Rawhide..& later would follow Clint through various fims (& Robert Conrad in Wild Wild West).

The "Typical" western firearm (in most movies & TV series) is the 1873 Colt peacemaker/Single Action Army/Etc. This is the gun he used in High Plains Drifter, & of course John Wayne carried in virtually every western he did.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T