News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where did the poncho come from?  (Read 8915 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 22, 2003, 08:15:15 PM »

Someone who was browsing on this site contacted me by e-mail to ask me "where Eastwood or Leone purchased the famous poncho that Eastwood’s character wore in the three Dollars trilogy films and if there is anywhere I could get an exact duplicate of it."

Since I don't think either question has come up on the new Board, and I had to do a little research on the first part of the question, I thought I'd repeat my reply here:

According to Richard Schickel (in his Clint Eastwood, 1996, p. 134) Eastwood brought most of his costume for A Fistful of Dollars with him when he flew to Italy to shoot the picture in 1964. However, Schickel states that the poncho was purchased in Spain (where much of the trilogy was shot).

On the other hand, an associate of Sergio Leone's, Tonino Valerii, who was the dialogue director on Fistful, recalls that the poncho was one of the items Eastwood brought with him to Rome (see Sergio Leone by Oreste De Fornari, p. 156). That would probably mean that it had been purchased in Los Angeles, perhaps at the "wardrobe place on Santa Monica Boulevard" where, Eastwood told Iain Johnstone (Clint Eastwood, the Man With No Name), he had acquired the "wardrobe" for the film.

As to where you can purchase a replica, that's easy, but it's not cheap. Go to the "Spaghetti Western Replicas" site (it's  advertised on the Clint Eastwood website):

http://www.spaghettiwesternreplicas.com/poncho.html

They have a wonderful looking replica of the poncho (handwoven from handspun natural wool) for $600.

water-walker

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2003, 07:28:36 PM »

Dear KC,
Any way we could email Clint and ask him where he acquired the poncho from?
And why does the poncho appear to be a greenish-grey color in Fistful of Dollars but tannish in For a Few Dollars More? Was there more than one used during the flimimg of the Dollar's trilogy?
I noticed in a close-up shot of Clint that after Ramon fired 7 shots at him in Fistful that there are indeed 7 holes in the poncho but they cannot be seen in any other of the films?
Where they sown up or was another poncho used?
Any ideas?
And yes, I am serious about emailing Clint!
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2003, 07:58:06 PM »

KC, you said that the poncho was possibly bought in Spain but yet someone else says it was brought by Clint from Los Angeles. Maybe Clint bought it in Spain at a store he stopped off at on his way to the set?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2003, 08:43:38 PM »

water-walker, Clint isn't much of a computer user, and if he has an e-mail address, no one knows what it is. You could try writing him at his fan mail address, which is given in the FAQ on this site:

Clint Eastwood
C/O Malpaso Productions, Warner Bros.
4000 Warner Blvd,
Burbank CA, 91505

There's no guarantee he will see your letter, as he gets far too much fan mail to read it all himself, let alone respond to it.

As to the color changes, that could be explained by a number of things from different film stock to different processing to differences in the transfer from film to video. We do have Eastwood's word that the poncho was the same. Here's an excerpt from a recent interview with him, in Entertainment Today:

ET: So Is it true you wore the same poncho is all three Sergio Leoni[sic] films and it was never washed?

CE: If you washed it, it would fall apart. [laughs] Yeah, I still have that poncho.

ET: Has it been laundered?

CE: No. It was folded up after The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and it hasn’t been unfolded yet.
(I posted the above interview fragment a few weeks back in this thread. And, I quoted it to water-walker when he contacted me by e-mail about this issue recently, but I thought I'd repeat it here for the benefit of others drawn to this topic.)

Since those weren't real bullets being fired at him in that scene, it's possible that they weren't real bullet holes in the poncho, either. ;)

Nightwing, the trouble with your theory is that the Italian associate of Leone's I quoted above, Tonino Valerii, states that he recalls that Eastwood had the poncho with him when he arrived in Rome for his first meeting with Leone. This was before any part of the film had begun production in Spain.
jbaumun

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 07:51:47 AM »

As seen on a web ad for Eastwood Man With No Name items , as well as been posted on You Tube , there is an filmed interview excerpt of Mr. Eastwood describing the poncho he brought over to Spain from Hollywood as " A poncho ", adding that Mr. Leone found " the green one" that he liked better . Mr. E. added that " the boots , I wore in Rawhide " .
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 06:30:31 PM »

Thanks for reviving this thread, jbaumun, and welcome to the Board!

Do you have a link for that video? I'm sure we all would like to see it. 8)
j_holtslander

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 10:32:08 PM »

A near identical poncho was also seen in the Spanish comedy parody film "For a Few Dollars Less" (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155009/mediaindex)

Full movie
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 05:46:03 PM by j_holtslander » Logged
j_holtslander

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 09:11:06 PM »

My post was edited to add a link to the video. (In case you missed it.)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 09:30:48 PM »

Thanks, j_holtslander! I wish I had the time to watch it (and to try to follow the Italian dialogue with the help of the subtitles). Is it any good?

That poncho, at least, is definitely brown, not green.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T