News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Photo thread  (Read 223377 times)
Rawhide7
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1340 on: September 13, 2013, 10:48:54 AM »

Great pics SK and Lin.  Both places look very relaxing and stress free.

Thanks for sharing :)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1341 on: September 13, 2013, 06:30:16 PM »

Great photos, Lin! 8)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1342 on: September 17, 2013, 11:17:20 PM »

A couple of shots taken with my phone when I was in the city last Saturday.

St. Mary's Cathederal and Centerpoint Tower.

A few weeks back I took this pic of the sunrise at Bateau Bay on the NSW central coast. I sent it into the Daily Telegraph newspaper to use on their weather page but haven't used it yet. :(

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #1343 on: September 18, 2013, 05:23:15 AM »

Great pictures SK, especially the sunrise.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1344 on: January 11, 2014, 07:36:11 PM »

I loved this picture, which was on the front page of the New York Times today:

The photographer is Adrees Latif. The caption on the Reuters site, where I found this, reads:

A schoolteacher, who wished to stay unidentified, attempts to catch snowflakes while leading her students to a library from school in the Harlem neighborhood, located in the Manhattan borough of New York on January 10, 2014.

Who's the kid here?  :D

http://www.reuters.com/news/pictures/slideshow?articleId=USRTX1797T (it's picture #24 in the slideshow).
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1345 on: February 28, 2014, 10:47:59 PM »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/that-s-not-really-an-outfielder-in-the-kitchen--it-s-just-a-really-cool-baseball-photo-192431153.html

Truth is, that's Cleveland Indians outfielder Carlos Moncrief tracking down a fly ball to right during Wednesday's spring exhibition opener against the Cincinnati Reds. It just so happens the right field wall at Goodyear Ballpark has an advertisement for K. Hovnanian Homes.

Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1346 on: November 16, 2015, 01:03:39 PM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:15:30 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1347 on: November 16, 2015, 01:22:21 PM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:13:10 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1348 on: November 16, 2015, 01:47:22 PM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:13:34 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1349 on: November 16, 2015, 03:16:45 PM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:14:52 PM by Matt » Logged
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1350 on: November 18, 2015, 03:41:20 PM »

These are very cool photos, Matt! Like you, my brother is into photography. I don't even take pictures with the camera on my IPHONE. I don't really have the eye to frame photos, but he's gotten better and better at taking pictures over the years. He has even gotten into photo editing and things like that. He really enjoys it.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1351 on: November 18, 2015, 04:27:32 PM »

:)  I wish I could take a photo as beautiful as the white birch trees I posted above. And that last photo I uploaded is so awesome, but I can't tell if it's manipulated. I would like to think it's not, but I suspect there's some additional pieces added in (perhaps the line of her nose, which other than the two birds appears to be falling leaves). Anyway, if it's unaltered, it's even better. Nothing against Photoshop, I love it -- but I've always thought of photography as an art of capturing the essence of the world in its most impressive image form instead of creating our own beauty (which would be painting/drawing).  So Photoshopping, other than for photo correcting, would be (totally my opinion) a combination of the two arts.

Something beautiful, like those mushrooms I posted above, might be so small you'd never notice them. How do you make them look as impressive and beautiful as possible? With light (photography = "writing with light") and composition (finding and accentuating the subject of the photograph). The lighting is the math and science of the art, and the composition (a photographer's eye) is the emotional connection to the subject. Again, completely my own interpretation.

I once had a conversation with an arrogant professional photographer who scoffed at the notion of someone having "an eye". I couldn't disagree more.  The very best cameras in the world, set on their program modes, can light the nuances of a subject as beautifully as a professional photographer would. But, not everyone who owns that camera can find the art in the world to capture it with enough emphasis to create emotion when looking at it. And that's why I've always loved photography (captured art) MORE than paintings or drawings (created art).

Anything that elicits an emotion is a great photograph... sometimes it's about accentuating the anger or ugliness in its subjects. Sometimes a photo says more about an event than an essay (a picture says a thousand words).  One photo comes to mind immediately... indelibly carved on the brain is Nick Utís Napalm Girl (Google it to see -- you'll recognize it). 

The photos in this video for one of my favorite John Mellencamp songs bring the pain of homelessness vibrantly to life:  Jackie Brown. And when you combine those images with the beauty and lyrics of that song -- it's one of the most emotional music videos I've ever seen.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 05:42:01 PM by Matt » Logged
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1352 on: November 24, 2015, 02:38:40 PM »

Just watched this mini-documentary on Vice about a fascinating (in my opinion) job that's bound to disappear: stringer / nightcrawler.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for himÖ" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1353 on: December 18, 2015, 11:01:33 PM »

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/18/lunar-orbiter-earthrise/

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter has captured a view that's reminiscent of the famous "Blue Marble," except this one comes with something extra: the moon's surface. On October 12th, the LRO's Narrow Angle Camera (NAC) and Wide Angle Camera (WAC) captured a series of black and white and colored photos, respectively, of the Earth rising over the moon. The spacecraft was traveling 83 miles above a lunar crater called Compton at the time, and it had to roll to its side to be able to take the images it needed, all while going faster than 3,580 mph.

NASA says the final product you see above isn't a single shot, but a composite of the high-resolution images taken by the NAC and the colored ones taken by the WAC. The LRO, by the way, sees a dozen Earthrises everyday, but it doesn't photograph the view frequently. As we mentioned earlier, the process is quite complicated: the spacecraft has to snap images while it's moving, and while the Earth and the moon are also in motion. Plus, the LRO's cameras concentrate on the moon's surface. It just so happened that in October, the Earth was in the cameras' field of view while they were pointing into space to calibrate, allowing them to capture this stunning view of our planet.

[Image credit: NASA/Goddard/Arizona State University]
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1354 on: December 19, 2015, 09:26:04 AM »

I'm pretty sure I saw this photo when it was first posted, but it just now hit me how everything matches up with what she's wearing to the landscape. :o
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1355 on: December 19, 2015, 09:35:08 AM »

^ Matt, could you tell us where you found that one? And the others you posted here at the same time?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1356 on: December 19, 2015, 09:39:47 AM »

The woman on the beach is from here:  http://www.lifebuzz.com/perfect-timing/

The others are all properly credited (just right click for the address).
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1357 on: December 19, 2015, 09:45:10 AM »

Oh, OK. I saw Imgur on the last one and didn't check the others.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1358 on: December 19, 2015, 09:47:50 AM »

I don't know why I uploaded that one to Imgur -- I suppose I thought I had to resize it because it was too large, but then I forgot to. Oh well.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1359 on: December 19, 2015, 11:40:45 PM »

By the way, you don't have to resize "too big" photos before posting them. Just use the following code ... the space after the first bracket was added so it will show:

[ img width=500]http://i.imgur.com/WVmtmfn.png[/img]

The 500 (pixels) is just an example. I'm sure 800 pixels isn't too wide for most people's screens ... well, I don't know about phones, since I've never tried viewing this site on a phone.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T