News: See Eastwood's latest, THE 15:17 TO PARIS, coming on DVD May 22!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Books Read  (Read 155683 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 08, 2005, 12:31:10 PM »

It's great being able to see what movies your all watching and what music you listen to.. as an avid reader I think it would be fun to know who's reading what. maybe get some recomendations.

I'm no chess player but I just finished

Bobby Fischer Goes To War

It's a fascinating account of the battle to be chess champion of the world 1972 between the American Fischer who was certainly some kinda nut, and the Russian champ Boris Spasky. Theres not too much heavy going chess analysis.. but a great insight into this titanic battle and an insight into a very different time.

Billed as a battle between the liberal free thinker from the West against the regimented automaton from the East...The truth, as this book reminds us, was far different

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 12:54:08 PM »

I've been stuck on the same book for about four months now! I haven't had time to read it for any length of time. But that the summers come... I'll be able to find time considering I have a backlog of books (12 or so...) sitting on my shelf. ::)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 12:57:58 PM »

I'm really enjoying this one. It's a fascinating look at the personal friendship and rivalry that these two men shared before and after the 1960 election.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 01:11:36 PM »

The last book I read was Stephen King's On Writing, which I mentioned in the "favorite authors/books" thread.

I don't get to read a lot of books while I'm in classes, and I've still got another month of classes before summertime. A while back, I read part of Richard Matheson's A Stir of Echoes, but really couldn't finish it because of classes, so that's one I'd like to get back to. I've had I Am Legend sitting around too for a while, waiting to be read. Then, I have some books from Ray Bradbury that I've been wanting to read, Fahrenheit 451 and Let's All Kill Constance. And I have several Richard Laymon novels I want to read over the summer as well: Blood Games, Night in the Lonesome October, Island, One Rainy Night, etc. And Flannery O'Connor's The Violent Bear it Away.

But I suppose this belongs in the "books I will soon be reading" thread. :D ;)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 02:03:23 PM »

It's a pity that your classes are interfering with your education, Christopher! 
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 02:31:42 PM »

Great thread Gant, I was thinking one like this would be good.

I can hardly put this one down.  It's the story of Kim Phuc, the  little girl burnt by napalm in Vietnam in 1972.  The book also covers a lot of details about the war from the 50's onwards, and of life after the war under the Communists.  It's so interesting to see events from the perspective of a normal southern Vietnamese family that got caught up in the conflicts.  Kim Phuc now lives in Canada and has a child of her own.  Her resolve is inspirational.

Great anecdotes from one of my favourite American broadcast journalists.  Interesting perspective on how times, and TV, have changed.  Comes with a great CD-ROM with brilliant old footage.

Gant and Matt, both your books sound good. 8)
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 02:34:53 PM »

Hey Gant that's a cool thread, very good idea  O0

I'm an avid reader too -read just about anything, I love books, just can't imagine my life without at least ONE good book  ;)  :D

Here's what I'm reading right now, haven't finished yet -yeah I know that's 4 at once  :D

Clint Eastwood - A Biography, by R. Schickel
O0

The Jordan Rules - The inside story of a turbulent season with Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls, by Sam Smith
I used to support the Bulls, that is when they won  ;D, and I really LOVED MJ, but well reading this book, I came to see him in a completely different light: selfish, show off ... basically he was not a team player, and well the Bulls weren't really a team. It was all for him and nothing for the others. HE got the balls (and got really angry when he didn't), HE scored ...

The 9/11 Commission Report
Informative.
Some people REALLY messed up that day  :-\
If you wanna know what happened and what went wrong ...

Forensics for Dummies
:D
VERY cool book. Interesting, especially if you wanna know how CSI teams work, that is collecting evidence, establishing time of death, perform autopsies, fingerprints, DNA ... :o ;D
It's funny, easy to understand ... good for your general knowledge, always good to know these things  ;)

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
[email protected]

Hi Yo Silver, away!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 03:40:44 PM »

This one...funny, interesting  O0

The story of my childhood hero...behind the scenes, info about the guest villians, and how playing Batman has affected West

"And In The End, The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make." ( The Beatles )
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 04:20:38 PM »

Forensics for Dummies

VERY cool book. Interesting, especially if you wanna know how CSI teams work, that is collecting evidence, establishing time of death, perform autopsies, fingerprints, DNA ... :o ;D

I just read a good book that you may enjoy if you like that one:

The author's a little full of himself, but it was an interesting book nonetheless.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 07:10:28 AM »

I used to support the Bulls, that is when they won  ;D, and I really LOVED MJ, but well reading this book, I came to see him in a completely different light: selfish, show off ... basically he was not a team player, and well the Bulls weren't really a team. It was all for him and nothing for the others. HE got the balls (and got really angry when he didn't), HE scored ...
I don't think I buy that. Yeah, all great basketball players have to be a little selfish. That's how they score lots of points. But that Bulls team was great that was around Jordan, and that's why they won 6 championships in the 90s. Teams that don't work together won't win championships. That's a fact.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 07:15:38 AM »

It's a pity that your classes are interfering with your education, Christopher! 
In a way, that might be right. ;D

But I have been reading a lot of short stories that are class related. ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 07:19:57 AM by Christopher » Logged
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 08:02:24 AM »

:) I've just ended "War of Worlds" by Wells.

I had ever read it when I was a teenager, but I wanted to remind the whole story before the Spielberg movie that will be  on screen in July in France.

And I'm now reading the French last Goncourt prize "Le soleil des Scorta" by Laurent Gaudé. The story takes place in south Italy, from 1870 to today, and it describes the poor life of an entire family from generation to generation. It's not a dark novel, it's full of humanism . I like it ! :)

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 12:47:45 PM »

Excellent timing... I'm gonna read War Of THe Worlds next.. ahead of the movie..

I'm also half way through a great book.. Hip..The History by John Leland. A great read for anyone interested in the roots of counterculture.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 06:34:25 PM »

A few weeks ago I finished reading "Of Mice And Men" and "The Old Man and The Sea"

I'm currently reading:

"The Making of a Cop" by Harvey Rachlin

"The Lady In The Lake" by Raymond Chandler

"To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee

and lastly, I'm reading a Dirty Harry book by Dane Hartman  ;D

"The Long Death"

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 07:10:15 PM »

"To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee

Great. O0  Keep meaning to see the film.
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 07:42:33 PM »

Great. O0  Keep meaning to see the film.

I was surprised at how well the movie portrays the book. Usually they chop up the story in the transition from book to movie, but they did a great job with TKAM. It's a good movie.

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2005, 07:49:50 PM »

I agree. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of those rare films that lives up to the book.  The performances are fantastic all around--it's my favorite Gregory Peck performance, and Mary Badham as "Scout" was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar at the age of only 10 years old! And look for Robert Duvall in his very first movie role as Boo Radley.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2005, 08:00:47 PM »

Wow I didn't know it had Duvall.  8) 8)  Another reason to see it.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2005, 08:08:48 PM »

Can we put a request in to Holden Pike for a "Robert Duvall Appreciation Thread"?
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 05:03:28 AM »

I have just finished reading Clint Eastwood. Interviews.  Excellent!!    One I will dip into again and again.   
Now I am reading A Dark Devotion by Clare Francis.  On the back the Daily Telegraph comments....."At once we are in Ruth Rendell territory: an eerie setting, a web of adultery, deceit, near murderous envy and cordial detestation....a kind of East Anglian Rebecca"   So far (page 207 of 486)  I quite agree. O0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 51 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T