News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Books Read  (Read 202488 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2006, 06:42:25 AM »

The IMDb doesn't list a video ...  :o I saw it at a repertory theater years ago. Maybe it'll come on TV.
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2006, 07:32:12 AM »

A bunch of DVD & VHS listed on Ebay, and on this site. As far as being originals, that I can't say.  ;)

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2006, 11:28:19 AM »

Geting stuck into this now.. I've always wanted to read Jack London and this came highly recommended.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2006, 09:24:59 AM »

- The King Of Torts, John Grisham
- Dirty Harry Series #4 & 5
- Inside The White House, Ronald Kessler
- The Fall Of A President, by the staff of the Washington Post
- Unforgiven, Edward Buscombe
- Cruel & Unusual, Patricia Cornwell

And right now, I'm reading Hunter S. Thompson 's Kingdom Of Fear

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Mr Soul

"It's no joke, Tuco. It's a rope."

View Profile Email
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2006, 10:36:30 PM »

The last book I read was Awakening to the Tao  by Liu I. Ming. 

"Hey, ho-Let's go!"-The Ramones
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2006, 06:47:28 PM »

Just finished Motörhead`s Lemmy Kilmister`s biography Lemmy.
Very funny,entertaining and intresting book to read.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 04:13:12 PM by Hemlock » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2006, 02:43:40 AM »

That looks like a fun read Hemlock.. I met him in a bar once..what a geezer....!  ;D ;D

Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2006, 10:21:56 AM »

Just finished Motörhead`s Lemmy Kilmister`s biograph Lemmy

Very funny,entertaining and intresting book to read.

I did not know that book existed. I am definitely going to get it. Does Lemmy talk about being a roadie for Hendrix?  Thanks for the tip Hemlock. Motorhead does not get enough credit for the development of metal.
I just started the new Stephen King novel "The Cell" and it is good so far. I will give a report when finished.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2006, 07:41:54 AM »

This is a good read.  Its about an Australian surviving some of Indonesia's worst prisons.

Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2006, 06:56:55 PM »

Does Lemmy talk about being a roadie for Hendrix?  Thanks for the tip Hemlock. Motorhead does not get enough credit for the development of metal.

You`re welcome Richard.And yes he does mention that he was a roudie for Hendrix.

What was especially funny for me as a finn to read was that they were arrested back in the 70`s in Finland and were kicked out of the country  ;D

They`ve visited Finland many times over the years and did one of their live albums here too(No Sleep At All) and I was on that gig  8)

Anyway as I said Lemmy is great fun to read if you`re intrested on one of the loudest and the best rock`n`roll groups in the world.

Lemmy is "The Man"in a rock-world and the metalmusic/business owns him a lot.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 02:50:33 AM by Hemlock » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2006, 02:49:42 AM »

Sherlock Holmes.. A Study In Scarlet

My favourite fictional London character

I like to dip into a Holmes story once in a while..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 02:57:36 AM by Gant » Logged

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2006, 01:21:34 AM »

Finally finished Touching the Void by Joe Simpson. The book is just as great and as breathtaking as the movie. In fact after reading it I was surprised to see that they didn't change a thing from the book to the movie. And it was interesting to find out that Tom Cruise had the rights to the movie at one point and was looking to star in it as Joe.

Now I'm on Tuesdays with Morrie. I finished half of it today at work and will either finish the rest tonight or tomorrow sometime.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2006, 02:38:19 PM »

My sister gave me Touching the Void for my birthday, years ago when I was keen to become a hardcore mountaineer ( ;D), and it stunned me.  The stuff that happened is just staggering, and so is the way he coped with it.  Truly amazing and inspiring, and he writes very well.

Haven't seen the film, but the trailers made it look impressive.  I do find it hard to believe that it could surpass the book though.

That reminds me of two other books that I loved in my teens.  Shadows on the Wasteland, by Mike Stroud, and Mind Over Matter, by Ranulph Fiennes.

These are separate accounts of the same cross-Antarctic expedition, by each of the two-man team.  You get a real feel for the different way each man perceived the challenges they faced.  There is also some suggestion that Fiennes is a bit of an ego-merchant, but nothing new in that.
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2006, 03:36:26 PM »

I'm on The Da Vinci Code right now and it's pretty damn good!  O0 There have been a few times where I couldn't put it down.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2006, 07:21:52 PM »

I really enjoyed this.It usually takes me ages to read a novel but this one only took a couple of weeks.This could make a great film.Story revolves around a WWI soldier who has had plenty of problems since returning from the war.In 1929 he is arrested for the murder of his wife and her lover.In jail he meets a black convict arrested for the rape of a white woman.They both escape and are on the run from the authorities.A big courtroom drama finishes off the story.A very good read.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
No,namedfan

'Go ahead make my day'

View Profile Email
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2006, 08:54:33 PM »

Chamber of secrets (adult version). Never thought I would enjoy but tit is pretty damn good. Better than first. The films ain't to bad as well. But do stray from the books/ :(

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

A man's got to know his limitations
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2006, 12:07:36 PM »

tgy, I take it that's not by THE Gene Hackman!  Sounds cool though, it's always fun when you get really into a novel.

Has anyone read Leaving Cheyenne by Peter Carter?  I think it's categorised as a kids book (most of his work is children's fiction), but it could equally be considered an adult book.

I was reminded of it by the threads about the past/future of characters in Unforgiven.  It's the only western story I've read (admittedly I haven't read many) that captures what you imagine might have been the real flavour of the time.  It's not gunslingers and heroism, but tells the story of a boy who leaves his home in Texas as a cowboy on the trail, and embarks on a journey that takes him through all kinds of experiences and places.

Unusually, and I think bravely, it's written in the first person, in a vernacular style.  That would be easy to screw up and sound naff, but I think it works.

I particularly love the tales of buffalo hunting with a Sharps rifle, and the sad description of the dying out of the great herds.  It goes into detail about ways of life in a convincing way.

Unfortunately it's out of print so you have to get a second hand copy, but I recommend it to anyone interested in western fiction.  Disclaimer: the author, who died a few years ago, was a family friend, so maybe I'm biased, but I was surprised by how much I got into the book.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 12:12:08 PM by Lilly » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2006, 02:38:31 PM »

tgy, I take it that's not by THE Gene Hackman!  Sounds cool though, it's always fun when you get really into a novel.

Hey Lilly,yes it is co-authored by THE Gene Hackman.I spotted this in the library last year,thinking the same thing as I never knew he written a book.In fact this is the second book he has written.Unfortunately the library doesn't have his first book.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2006, 02:40:27 PM »

Wow, cool!  Thanks, tgy.  I never would have known.  I'll have to look out for it. O0
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2006, 08:34:45 PM »

This is quite an interesting book. It deals with some of the odder questions that we wonder about now and then, but don't really know the answer to...and don't have the nerve to ask. Also makes a good bathroom reader.   ;)

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 52 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T