News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Books Read  (Read 155684 times)
Phantomstranger
Member Extraordinaire

I Have A Horse, And The West Is Wide.

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 07:20:08 PM »

I usually have a couple of books going at the same time, here's the latest one's I've finished

Cowboy:How Hollywood Created The Wild West
Star Trek:The Last Round Up
The Secret Of Bigfoot Pass (an old Six Million Dollar Man Novel)
Alias: Infliltration

They'd never forget, the day the stranger rode into town.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2005, 09:59:05 PM »

I have just finished reading Clint Eastwood. Interviews.  Excellent!!    One I will dip into again and again.   

bito

Robert & Francesca

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 11:19:38 PM »

I read just now  Clint Eastwood by Richard Schickel it's good  :)

You'll never walk alone
LFC Forever
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2005, 12:07:34 PM »

I don't think I buy that. Yeah, all great basketball players have to be a little selfish. That's how they score lots of points. But that Bulls team was great that was around Jordan, and that's why they won 6 championships in the 90s. Teams that don't work together won't win championships. That's a fact.
Yeah you're right about that, but the thing is they had a great coach.
And yeah the team was great, but all the players didn't always get the opportunity to play their best basketball, mostly because of MJ.
Plus there were a lot of conflicts.
Jordan's behavior really disappoints me ... I didn't know he was like that >:( As always when you admire someone you tend to see only his/her qualities ...

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2005, 12:17:07 PM »

I agree. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of those rare films that lives up to the book.  The performances are fantastic all around--it's my favorite Gregory Peck performance, and Mary Badham as "Scout" was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar at the age of only 10 years old! And look for Robert Duvall in his very first movie role as Boo Radley.
I've never seen the movie, but I loved the book  O0
I like Gregory Peck. I'll have to buy it someday...

Quote from: Lin. on Yesterday at 06:03:28 AM
I have just finished reading Clint Eastwood. Interviews.  Excellent!!
Yeah great job KC (and Mr. Kapsis)  8) O0 O0

and lastly, I'm reading a Dirty Harry book by Dane Hartman ;D

"The Long Death"

How is it ?

I have Dealer of Death (DH#12), but haven't read it yet...

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2005, 12:46:24 PM »

And yeah the team was great, but all the players didn't always get the opportunity to play their best basketball, mostly because of MJ.
Plus there were a lot of conflicts.
Jordan's behavior really disappoints me ... I didn't know he was like that >:( As always when you admire someone you tend to see only his/her qualities ...

I'm familiar with the book, though I haven't read it straight through. 

If you believe that...

... then you never really followed the Bulls during their run.  Both the first three championships or the second three.  The biggest example is Pippin ... who was honored as one of the top 50 players of all-time, an honor I argue he would have achieved had he not been Jordan's team mate.   

As for....

... there's no denying that -- because Jordan did a lot of his dirty work for him.  I'm not saying that in a bad way.  But Jackson never had to do a lot of "motivating," because Jordan was there to do it for him.  Jackson is a laid back, "technical" kind of coach.  He's brilliant at drawing up the plays ... and his other strength is letting the players form their own heirarchy.  With the Bulls, Jordan did most of the work for him, he just had to have the plan in place.  With the Lakers, he provided that extra little push to get them to win championships, but when Kobe and Shaq stopped providing the extra work, the team fell apart.  As Jackson's record shows with the Lakers, he was not able to consistently make the Lakers perform -- they were best when it was on the line, i.e. the playoffs.  Because then Kobe and Shaq could focus on their one goal, to win the championship.  It was because of Jordan that the Bulls could win 72 games during the regular season. 

Jordan ranks easily among the top three basketball players of all time (with Chamberlain and Robertson) and overall has done more for basketball than player ever has done or ever will do.  His faults were also his strengths.  If he was selfish as a player (debatable!), it was because he was absolutely the best player there was in taking the last shot.  (But it was his call to pass the ball to Kerr, who made the biggest shot of his life.)   

Not too unsimilar criticisms have been thrown at Clint Eastwood, but it's too easy to be a naysayer when you don't want to admit this person is special....

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2005, 01:37:28 PM »

Hey I loved the guy, and still do.

To me he is THE best basketball player of all time  ;)

He was (and still is) special to me ... this guy is an ET ! He comes from an other planet (just like I think Eastwood does -maybe they come from the same  ;D :D)

I'm no naysayer, but this book opened my eyes (and I'm not saying that everything that was written in it is true ...)
Jordan could be very judgmental with his teammates. That's one thing that really disappoints me.

... then you never really followed the Bulls during their run.  Both the first three championships or the second three.
Well, considering that I was only 8 in 1991 ... :-\
But I made up for lost time after that  ;)

The biggest example is Pippin ... who was honored as one of the top 50 players of all-time, an honor I argue he would have achieved had he not been Jordan's team mate.
Of course he would have.
I was not only referring to Pippen though ... maybe you should give the book an other read then, you'll see that other players were complaining about MJ (Grant for instance), complaining that because of him they couldn't play their best basketball ... which doesn't mean that they were not good players, just that they couldn't always  "express" themselves on the court.

ANYWAY
;)

Has anyone read the Dirty Harry novels ? - I mean not DH, Sudden Impact ... but the 12 others.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 01:48:25 PM by Americanbeauty » Logged

Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

Your mouthwash aint makin' it.

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2005, 07:45:21 PM »

How is it ?

I have Dealer of Death (DH#12), but haven't read it yet...

I am on the last couple of chapters right now. So far it's been a good read, some of the DH books are a drag to read. This one re-introdces Big Ed Mustapha. Their also a love interest between Harry and a Sergeant that he is working with on a case.

The other DH book I read that I really liked was Family Skeltons. In this one we are introuced to some of Harry's relative: his niece and sister who live in Boston. He helps the police with a serial killer/rapist.

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
gimpy
Member Extraordinaire

Tough IS Enough!

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2005, 11:39:42 PM »

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
They all say that the novel is always better than the movie, but in this case I thought the movie was better. Even though I thought the novel was very good, it was way TOO DESCRIPTIVE which makes the progression of the story go way too slow. But I still recommend both the novel and especially the movie.

"No one eats ketchup with their hotdogs!"
-Dirty Harry
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2005, 04:14:22 AM »

Hey I loved the guy, and still do.

To me he is THE best basketball player of all time  ;)

He was (and still is) special to me ...

Ah, good.  It almost sounded like you respected him less as a player because of this one book.  Which was written after the Bulls first championship.  The author had no way of knowing this wasn't a fluke, and that they would go on to win a total of 6 championships. 

And if the book makes the argument that Jordan impeded his teammates from being the best basketball players they could be, then the author is wrong.  He made everybody on the team better, by being a role model/leader, motivator, and teacher.  (And for doing a lot of Jackson's "dirty work," when it came to criticizing players.)  Grant's dissatisfaction with his time with the Bulls is fairly well known, and if true, then it says more about him than it does Jordan -- I guess winning championships wasn't good enough for Grant.  And it should be noted that Grant's stats went down when he went to Orlando (though they were up the year after Jordan's first retirement, but so what.).  Pippen absolutely benefited from having Jordan as his teammate.  He might have been able to score more points on another team, and his defense was always awesome, but his overall game would not have been anywhere near as good. 

Someday, I may check it out from the library.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2005, 01:48:43 PM »

He made everybody on the team better, by being a role model/leader, motivator, and teacher.
Yeah, that he was, no doubt about it.
But some players in the team often said that they were fed up playing "Michaelball" (understand basketball)  ;D ;D
WOW I learned a new word :D

I read The Dealer of Death today (Dirty Harry series #12)

Basically, it's about a man Callahan sent to jail some years ago, he escapes, steals Harry's 44 Magnum and starts killing folks (Harry's enemies actually) with it ... which is not good for the image of the  Police Dept  ;)

Good read
Only drawback to me is that it is mostly focused on the killer, his thoughts ... and not enough on Harry.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 02:23:12 PM by Americanbeauty » Logged

masterchief

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2005, 01:55:28 PM »

Nineteen Eighty-Four - Geogre Orwell

Animal Farm - George Orwell

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

And I'm reading at the minute...
The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2005, 04:26:19 PM »

And I'm reading at the minute...
The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells

Are you reading the book, or the Classics Comic?  ;)
gimpy
Member Extraordinaire

Tough IS Enough!

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2005, 05:08:58 PM »

Animal Farm is one of my favorite books of all time.

"No one eats ketchup with their hotdogs!"
-Dirty Harry
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2005, 11:47:05 PM »

Did you enjoy The Da Vinci Code masterchief ? I havn't but I have read somewhere that the authors claims that a lot of it is true have been rubished.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2005, 04:47:53 AM »

most of the claims have been rubbished gant, tony"baldrick"robinson, did and hour long special about 2 months ago where a team delved into the book and tried to sort it out, the conclusion at the end was after many travels and hours of research was that it was BS.
i couldn't read it myself got bored after about 200 pages. i can't read fiction,it's too boring, true life is far more entertaining.
i just finished a book aby russell vorpagel on e of the first ever profilers in the FBI, it's an  interesting read.

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2005, 01:56:56 PM »

I just finished the Dirty Harry book.

I'm going to start The Crucible this weekend.

-Danny

"I had vegetarian huevos rancheros, then some sort of a filtered decaf cappuccino that tasted like it was filtered through a jock strap."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2005, 04:14:25 PM »

I read The Dealer of Death today (Dirty Harry series #12)
You read the whole thing in a day? How long are the books?
Dannyman
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2005, 07:04:53 PM »

Each Dirty harry novel is about 150 pages long.

-Danny

masterchief

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2005, 07:53:15 AM »

Are you reading the book, or the Classics Comic?  ;)

The book, I'm finding it quite boring though. I think I'll sit down with it tonight and try and get back into it.

Animal Farm is one of my favorite books of all time.

Mine too.

Did you enjoy The Da Vinci Code masterchief ? I havn't but I have read somewhere that the authors claims that a lot of it is true have been rubished.

I loved it, but It is a work of fiction although it is based on facts. I agree with the statement that some things that Brown claims are true, are in fact, rubbish.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 51 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T