News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Books Read  (Read 203112 times)
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #740 on: January 06, 2012, 10:15:15 AM »

Ace Frehley - No Regrets

I am about half way through this biography. It is one of the better rock bios that I have read(still reading). I will give a full rating  when I am finished. I tried to insert the image but I m terrible with that kind of thing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:19:11 AM by Richard Earl » Logged

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #741 on: January 15, 2012, 07:50:58 PM »

Written by the same author who wrote Ghost Platoon. Recruited by the CIA in 1963, Australian Army Captain Barry Peterson was sent to Vietnam to train and lead guerilla squads of Montagnard tribesmen against the VC in the remote Central highlands. After two years in country and seeing how the conflict had changed with combat troops now in Vietnam, he knew the Americans were going about the war in the wrong way. When he refused CIA directives regarding assassination squads, the CIA wanted him out.

Another great read and has really got me wanting to read more about the whole war and what might have happened if JFK had lived. Would he have pulled out the military advisers early in 1964 or increased combat troops?

5/5.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #742 on: February 19, 2012, 05:57:29 PM »

Cracking spy thriller set in North Africa during WWII. A German spy is using the book, Rebecca as his code to send Rommell all the Allied movements in the desert and it's a British Major on his trail to turn the tide of the war.

4/5.

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #743 on: March 05, 2012, 10:31:52 AM »

After really enjoying The Blackhouse by Peter May I have nearly finished the second book in the trilogy, The Lewis Man. The same characters and the Isles of Harris and Lewis are again interwoven. The third book The Chess Men will be next.  I suppose he chose the last title because of the Viking chess men that were found on the Isle of Lewis.

I like the way he writes and the story goes back and forth from the present to Fin's past. It is done in such a way to enhance the story unlike some other books that use that style. A couple I have read in the past got me so confused I didn't know which was present or which was past.

About Chess Men found on Lewis if anyone is interested.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/pe_mla/t/the_lewis_chessmen.aspx
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:33:26 AM by Lin. » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #744 on: March 05, 2012, 08:52:57 PM »

A selection of the Lewis chessmen are at present on exhibition at the Cloisters, the medieval component of the Metropolitan Museum of Art:

http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2011/the-game-of-kings-medieval-ivory-chessmen-from-the-isle-of-lewis

I remember reading about this in the New York Times last year ... thought I had missed it, but it's still on until  April 22. I'll have to try to go!

Here's the Times story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/18/arts/design/the-game-of-kings-medieval-ivory-chessmen-from-the-isle-of-lewis-at-the-cloisters.html
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #745 on: March 06, 2012, 03:17:48 AM »

Thank you for the interesting post KC. DO try to get to see them as they are so much more amazing when you actually see them.

Both these books try to delve into the history of the Lewis Chessmen, however not much is known about them so a lot is supposition and that makes for great reading.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #746 on: March 06, 2012, 02:05:44 PM »

Not as good as Chandler's The Big Sleep but still an entertaining who done it.

3/5.

Elizabeth77
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #747 on: March 07, 2012, 10:45:31 PM »

Horse Tradin' by Ben K. Green

This is a collection of mostly short stories recounting the author's adventures as a young horse and mule trader in and around Weatherford, Texas.  All the stories appear to have occurred when he was somewhere between 14 and 22 years of age.  This youthfulness adds to the fun in some of the horse trades, where he sometimes wins and sometimes loses.  I read this out loud to my family and we all thoroughly enjoyed it.

"Thought I was having trouble with my adding.  It's all right now."
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #748 on: March 26, 2012, 05:37:38 AM »

Yesterday was my husband Cyrille's birthday : as he has always been a real  fan of Steve McQueen, as he loves motorcycles and cars , I 've thought that this book would be perfect for him : "McQueen's  machines" .

I will read it of course later, some of the pictures are amazing ( several personnal ones lent by Chad McQueen, his son, and his first wife too).

A very nice book to have ! :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:53:20 PM by Sylvie » Logged

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #749 on: March 26, 2012, 03:50:09 PM »

I just couldn't get into this, but like a bad movie I see it through to the end. Very disappointing after the other two Chandler books I read were good.

2/5.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 03:51:16 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #750 on: April 13, 2012, 06:11:45 PM »

The second Bones book is on a par with the first. These would be good if they made them into films but with the tv series so popular, they probably wouldn't be successful. The TV series changed the main character of Temperance Brennan to a much younger woman without a daughter.

3/5.

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #751 on: April 18, 2012, 01:17:11 PM »

I just finished reading "Beach Music" by Pat Conroy. It begins with a young woman committing suicide by jumping off a bridge, leaving her husband to raise their young daughter alone. After his wife's death, he takes refuge in Italy, seeking to start a new life with his daughter, until a voice from the past comes back to haunt him. Pat Conroy has been called America's greatest living writer, and with works like "Beach Music," it's easy to see why. "Beach Music" says a lot about the powerful and pernicious effects of how the past shapes all of our lives, and how our unwillingness to come to terms with it has the potential to destroy us. It communicates beautifully the healing and redemptive power of love, and how in the end, we can only run away from pain for so long before the day we have to face it, when we have to cease trying to hide, and ultimately have to come home to ourselves. "Beach Music" comes with my highest recommendation, as does Conroy's "Prince of Tides."

Has anybody else read anything by Pat Conroy? If so, what were your impressions? I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts on his work.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #752 on: April 21, 2012, 06:20:34 PM »

Fans will enjoy this, the third Bones book. Bikie gang war in Montreal and Tempe's nephew may be involved. I was hoping the main character wouldn't get attacked in this book like she has been in the first two but she does. Apart from that, it was enjoyable.

3/5.

Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #753 on: April 26, 2012, 04:19:21 PM »

I just couldn't get into this, but like a bad movie I see it through to the end. Very disappointing after the other two Chandler books I read were good.

2/5.

Really  :o Farewell My Lovely was the first Raymond Chandler book that I read and I simply loved it.I have read it at least twice after that...however you could be right about the fact that there is two better books by Chandler:The Long Goodbye and The Big Sleep

Anyway my last one was

The Bloody Sunrise
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #754 on: April 26, 2012, 11:18:14 PM »

Fourth Bones book is another good read but just when I thought the main character would get through the book without being attacked by the killer, she is.  ::)

3/5.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:19:16 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #755 on: April 27, 2012, 06:37:08 AM »

^ Is that one of the features of the series? I once read a series of Swedish book where the cop who was the hero (narrating in the first person) got terribly tortured in some way right at the end of the book. Always in a different way, and he always gave the readers all the gory details. (But he still always got his man.)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #756 on: April 27, 2012, 01:31:23 PM »

^ Is that one of the features of the series? I once read a series of Swedish book where the cop who was the hero (narrating in the first person) got terribly tortured in some way right at the end of the book. Always in a different way, and he always gave the readers all the gory details. (But he still always got his man.)

It seems to be. I haven't read them before but its happened in every book so far.

allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #757 on: April 27, 2012, 02:15:38 PM »

I read a fantastic book in advance of my book group, called 'And the Band Played On'. 100 years after the sinking of the Titanic, it's quite poignant to read about the author's grandfather, who went down with the ship (he was a violinist in the band) and the effect on his fiancee, his family and also many people in Southampton.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/And-Band-Played-Violinist-Glovemaker/dp/1444707957

P.S. I've forgotten how to post images (it's been a while!) so just posted the link to the book instead.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #758 on: April 27, 2012, 06:16:24 PM »

You can also get it from the library ... ;)

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/709683300

Ally, it's real easy to post images. Just put the URL between [ img] [ /img] tags (without the space after the opening bracket). :)

Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #759 on: April 28, 2012, 06:32:22 AM »

Robert Goolrick : "The End of the World as we Know it" (translated by "Féroces" in French)

I finished it late, last night, warmly wrapped in a plaid, and when I put it on the table, took off my glasses, it was as if I had not taken a long breathe for a long time ...

This autobiography is so stunning, moving, dark that it gives you a big uppercut in stomach : some chapters are terrible, the despair of that man is so deep, sad, unbelievable and the reason of that despair so unforgivable that I just couldn't move, couldn't think of anything else.

Maybe would you find this strange : for the first time of my life, I lit up a candle for this man I will surely never meet, Robert Goolrick, for the small boy he was, only for a few years in his life.
http://robertgoolrick.com/?page_id=9

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 52 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T