News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Books Read  (Read 203126 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #800 on: August 10, 2012, 09:10:14 PM »

Did you see either of the movies based on this first book (which in the original Swedish was titled Mn som hatar kvinnor, "Men Who Hate Women")?

No, I haven't. Are they worthwhile and which is better?

They're both pretty decent. I saw the Swedish movie first. My reaction to Fincher's version (not really a remake, since he went back to the book and didn't even watch the first movie) was, "Was this movie necessary?" And I'm a big fan of Daniel Craig, who has it all over the guy who played Blomkvist in the Swedish version in the charisma department, but he didn't really have much to do.

I also thought Noomi Rapace was a much stronger Lisbeth Salander than Rooney Mara, who played the part for Fincher.

Since the book is so long, both movie versions leave out quite a bit, but as you can imagine ... that's not necessarily a disadvantage.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #801 on: August 10, 2012, 09:14:06 PM »

Of course all three of the books are much better in the original Swedish. ;)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #802 on: August 10, 2012, 09:23:46 PM »

You read pretty fast, SK! I hope you enjoy the rest of the trilogy.

If the book is interesting I'll knock it over in less than a week.

The library only has the second book of the trilogy on CD and I haven't been a fan of listening to someone read to me since I was about 8.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #803 on: August 10, 2012, 09:38:29 PM »

The library only has the second book of the trilogy on CD and I haven't been a fan of listening to someone read to me since I was about 8.
I'm not a fan of audio books either. I don't seem to get as much out of it while listening.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #804 on: August 12, 2012, 06:49:49 PM »

I recently finished a fascinating book. It's called "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain. The premise of the book is that American society and culture has fallen prey to what Cain terms the "Extrovert Ideal." This is the tendency to prize very highly sociability, being outgoing, being bold, being outspoken, etc. She also feels that we dramatically undervalue the qualities that introverts possess. The ability to be quiet, reflective, to think before taking risks, to be soft-spoken, and to be thoughtful and deliberate, are, she feels, essential skills to success, and are things that society needs to operate and function well. In many ways, she feels as if the "Extrovert Ideal" is often counterproductive, and that an excessive reliance on these qualities can lead to very poor decisions. She traces this preference for the "Extrovert Ideal" to our schools, our workplaces, and even our relationships. What I found so interesting about her book is that it was the first thing that I had read that advocated that it was okay to be introverted. That there isn't necessarily something wrong with those of us who are this way, and that there are proven advantages to this personality style. What's great about this book is that Cain tells us introverts that it's okay to be the way we are, and helps us to see when making changes are helpful, and desirable, and when they are less so. She acknowledges when it would be helpful to cultivate the more extroversive side of our personalities, and shows us that both are valuable and needed, but are useful in different contexts. I think it contains a lot of useful information, and was a really worthwhile read. I highly recommend it.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #805 on: August 13, 2012, 07:43:46 AM »

That does sound interesting, AKA, especially with me being an introvert as well.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #806 on: August 18, 2012, 05:42:49 PM »

Doug recommended this author and I'm glad he did. I enjoyed this crime yarn, the first in a series of books with the Scottish police inspector John Rebus and at just over 200 pages it didn't drag on with useless sub plots and the like. Unfortunately the library only has a few of Ian Rankin's books. Hopefully I can find the ones they don't have cheap somewhere.

4/5.

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #807 on: August 22, 2012, 06:36:29 AM »

I am so pleased you like Ian Rankin SK. i love his books and have read them all. Apart from the latest that isn't out yet. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:42:16 AM by Lin. » Logged
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #808 on: August 25, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »

I got a couple of chapters into this and was completely lost. The book was OK but it took me a while to realise that after reading so many crime novels lately that this was so different from any of them.

After that, I enjoyed it. A friend had recommended this author and I thought I hadn't heard of him but he had written The World According To Garp and The Cider House Rules. Winning an Academy Award for the screenplay for the latter.

Anyway the story concerns a tv news reporter who loses his hand in a lion attack during an interview on live tv. He receives a hand transplant and the widow of the donor wants visitation rights to the hand after the operation. Sounds a little wacky and it is.

I have to say too that the author seems obsessed with sex. You couldn't go more than a couple of pages without there being a sex scene or just the mere mention of it. Not that that concerned me but others beware.

4/5.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #809 on: August 25, 2012, 05:40:35 PM »

Your last paragraph, in combination with the visitation rights for the hand, makes this sound a bit bizarre, indeed.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #810 on: August 25, 2012, 05:42:05 PM »

I did say it was wacky. :D

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #811 on: August 26, 2012, 04:52:34 AM »

I like John Irving a lot, though I haven't kept up on all his latest novels.  His novels tend to start slowly with a lot of back story, but they're always entertaining once they get going.  I remember flying through The Cider House Rules in just a few days, and that's a long book.  (And much better than the movie.)  Besides The World According to Garp I recommend A Hotel New Hampshire, another one obsessed with sex and even sibling incest.  The last book of his I read was A Son of the Circus and it was of course quite good.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #812 on: September 01, 2012, 08:05:30 PM »

Now reading

You Only Live Twice  O0

And Im dying to get my hands on Lee Child`s The Affair that is only now translated to finnish.Ive been too long without my Jack Reacher fix  ;)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #813 on: September 01, 2012, 08:14:16 PM »

I've got a series of classics coming up that I'll be reading. I just finished up Oedipus the King tonight. I'll resist making jokes like, "Gee, that guy could give anyone a complex!" ;) :D ;D I'd studied the play a little bit in a theater class a long time ago, but this is the first time I'd ever read it.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #814 on: September 02, 2012, 11:28:27 PM »

AmericanBeauty mentioned this author in the Favorite Authors Thread so I'd thought I'd check out the first in a long series of books. This reminded me of the Bones books so much, even down to the killer coming after the main character towards the end.

Not bad.

3/5.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 11:29:56 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #815 on: September 03, 2012, 02:42:13 AM »

I think Patricia Cornwell's books get better as she continues to write
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #816 on: September 05, 2012, 12:23:14 AM »

Nina Simone I Put A Spell On You

I was stuck in various airports across Europe this weekend and managed to read the whole of Nina's autobiography.
Nina Simone's always been one of my favourite artists and this was a fasinating read..

An absolutely unique artist... Amazing pianist, songwriter, political activist.. We lost her too early.. We just don't seem to get talent like this any more..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #817 on: September 05, 2012, 01:13:26 AM »

Nina Simone I Put A Spell On You

An absolutely unique artist... Amazing pianist, songwriter, political activist.. We lost her too early.. We just don't seem to get talent like this any more..

I loved her style and you are so right Gant, talent like hers has long gone.  :(
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #818 on: September 05, 2012, 04:08:03 AM »

I'll never forgive myself Lin for not having gotten to see her perform live when I had the chance..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #819 on: September 05, 2012, 04:56:58 AM »

I know how you feel. I always promised myself to go to see Cleo Lane and Johnny Dankworth but just didn't get around to it.  Too late now.  :( 

I put off going to see Gene Kruper when he came to Sydney and then a friend said he may never come back again so I rushed to the Sliver Spade room and got almost the last ticket.  What a fantastic show.  When Tony Bennett, Shirley Bassey and Sarah Vaughan appeared at the same venue I bought tickets right away. 
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 52 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T