News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Books Read  (Read 203086 times)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #820 on: September 05, 2012, 06:44:37 AM »

Wow !!! You got to see Gene Krupa... amazing, I'm dead jealous... I was lucky enough to see Buddy Rich and that
was an amazing night...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #821 on: September 05, 2012, 11:52:51 PM »

I am jealous of you Gant.  Buddy Rich Wow!!!  

Some years later I also saw Louie Bellson in Sydney.  
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #822 on: September 06, 2012, 12:54:18 AM »

Your killing me here Lin..  ;D

I did get to see my all time drum hero Art Blakey a couple of time,
Here in London and in NY... These guys arn't ever gonna be replaced.

Belson.... WOW !
I've got an amazing album of him playing with James Brown..

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #823 on: September 06, 2012, 06:49:03 AM »

Now I have never seen Art Blakey.   :(

Bellson played the drum solo Caravan, along with other stuff, but that one stays in my mind.

Drummers of their calibre wont come again.  One drummer I have seen who I really like is Martyn Kaine.  Kyle's Drummer.

I got it from the library and enjoyed it.   It has recipes, stories and anecdotes about Art's life.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #824 on: September 06, 2012, 06:55:51 AM »

That picture is a little hard to see ...   :)

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/802547561
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #825 on: September 06, 2012, 09:10:31 AM »

Yeah... I was a bit dissapointed how good Kyle's drummer is... I was hoping to get in there....  :)

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #826 on: September 06, 2012, 05:11:55 PM »

Yeah... I was a bit dissapointed how good Kyle's drummer is... I was hoping to get in there....  :)

;D   That would have been just perfect.  8)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #827 on: September 06, 2012, 11:26:59 PM »

One day that phone will ring...  :)

I really do like his music... I'm definitely gonna
 go see him next time at Ronnie Scotts.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #828 on: September 08, 2012, 12:16:14 AM »

A friend at work recommended this author that I'd never heard of. C J Box has written 12 novels revolving around the character of Joe Pickett. If they are all like the first novel, I'll be reading them all. This one only took me three days to knock over. Joe Pickett is a Wyoming Game Warden. In the first novel, when a poacher is found dead on Joe's property the investigation reveals corruption, greed and more murders in the small town and Joe's family isn't spared from the trouble.

Highly recommended.

4/5.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #829 on: September 08, 2012, 12:52:51 AM »

I think I'll give that a go Kid....

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #830 on: September 08, 2012, 01:12:20 AM »

I think I'll give that a go Kid....

8)

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #831 on: September 14, 2012, 09:56:52 PM »

Laconic Joe Pickett returns to his slightly offbeat duties in Wyoming's Bighorn Mountains in C. J. Box's Savage Run. Joe is called to the scene when an exploding cow kills a famous ecoterrorist, Stewie Woods, and his bride of three days, who were peacefully spiking trees. A visit to the cow's pugnacious owner leaves Joe defensive, angry, and curious: Why doesn't the rancher ask any questions about the bizarre accident that happened on his land? Then Joe's wife, Marybeth, begins receiving phone calls from her high-school boyfriend—-the peculiarly healthy-sounding Stewie Woods. Stewie may or may not be alive, but his old pal Hayden Powell and other environmental activists are all turning up deceased in strange circumstances. As the body count climbs, Joe tries to sort out the bad guys, the good guys, and the truly dead guys in this sometimes funny, sometimes angry sequel to Box's award-winning first novel, Open Season. Box depicts the spare beauty and cussed individualism of the intermountain West with the sure hand of a seasoned writer. --Barrie Trinkle

http://www.cjbox.net/books/savage-run

As with the first book, I was able to read this in three days. Very enjoyable.

4/5.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #832 on: September 14, 2012, 10:29:35 PM »

An exploding cow? :o
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #833 on: September 23, 2012, 11:46:42 PM »

The third Joe Pickett novel. Again, this one didn't disappoint.

The third Joe Pickett outing from CJ Box finds our (still slightly unlikely) game warden hero once caught up in intrigue in the Bighorn Mountains. ‘Beyond the rim to the west was Battle Mountain, separated from the Wolf Range by the Crazy Woman Creek, which flowed, eventually, into the Twelve Sleep River.’ The novel opens with a drunken federal employee called Lamar Gardiner gunning down more elk than he is legally supposed to. Joe tries to take him in – only to find himself handcuffed to his steering wheel and trying to give chase through the beginnings of a blizzard. But Lamar’s getaway proves his undoing. Joe eventually finds him:

‘…held to the trunk of the tree by two arrows that had gone completely through his chest and into the wood, pinning him upright against the tree. His chin rested on his chest, and Joe could see blood spreading down from his neck. His throat had been cut. The snow around the tree had been tramped by boots.’

bookmunch.wordpress.com

4/5.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #834 on: October 06, 2012, 04:39:47 PM »

It's an idyllic late summer day in Saddlestring, Wyoming, and game warden Joe Pickett is fly-fishing with his two daughters when he stumbles upon the mutilated body of a moose. Whatever-or whoever-attacked the animal was ruthless: Half the animal's face has been sliced away, the skin peeled back from the flesh. Shaken by the assault, Pickett begins to investigate what he hopes is an isolated incident. Days later, after the discovery of a small herd of mutilated cattle, Pickett realizes this is something much bigger. Local authorities are quick to label the attacks the work of a grizzly bear, but Joe knows otherwise. The cuts on the moose and the cattle were too clean, too precise to have been made by jagged teeth. Are the animals only practice for a killer about to move on to a different, more challenging prey? Joe's worst fears are realized when the bodies of two men are discovered within days of each other, their wounds eerily similar to those found on the moose and cattle. There's a vicious killer, a modern-day Jack the Ripper, on the loose in The Bighorn Mountains - and it appears his rampage is just beginning.

http://www.cjbox.net/books/trophy-hunt

4/5.

Joe Pickett is attempting to survive his mother-in-law's wedding to a wealthy local rancher when he receives some disturbing news: Will Jensen, a fellow Wyoming game warden and a good friend, has killed himself. And Joe's been picked to temporarily run Jensen's Teton district.

Jackson Hole is a far cry from Joe's hometown of Saddlestring -- it's the epicenter for many environmental extremists and an elite playground for the rich and powerful -- and Joe quickly finds himself over his head. Yet despite the pressures of his new job and his surprising and disturbing attraction for a married woman named Stella, he can't get his friend's suicide out of his mind. By all accounts, Will had changed in the last few months of his life, becoming violent and unpredictable.

Meanwhile, back at home, Marybeth is frightened by threatening phone calls and asks the outlaw falconer Nate Romanowski for assistance, not realizing she has opened the door to much more than help.

The closer Joe comes to the truth about Will's death, the more his own life begins to mirror Will's and spiral out of control -- and he realizes that if he's not careful, he may end up as Jackson's next victim.

http://www.cjbox.net/books/out-range

4/5.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #835 on: October 06, 2012, 08:57:35 PM »

Glad to see that you're finding the quality of these books to hold up from book to book! O0
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #836 on: October 06, 2012, 10:50:06 PM »

I've been really surprised that each one so far has held my interest and are only taking a few days to read. I'm reading number 6 now so there's another 6 to go. Reading them in order is the way to go too as things are mentioned from previous books and the main character's daughters get a little older in each book.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #837 on: October 07, 2012, 10:23:28 PM »

The best one in the series so far. I started reading this yesterday afternoon and finished it just now. I couldn't put it down. I'd finish a chapter and just had to keep reading to find out what would happen next.

J. W. Keeley is a man with a score to settle. He blames one man for the death of his brother: Joe Pickett. And now J.W. is going to make him suffer.

Spring has finally come to Saddlestring, Wyoming and game warden Joe Pickett is relieved the long, harsh winter is finally over. However, a cloud of trouble threatens to spoil the milder weather—local matriarch and ranch owner Opal Scarlett has vanished under suspicious circumstances. Two of her sons, Hank and Arlen, are battling for control of their mother's multi-million dollar empire and their bitter fight threatens to tear the whole valley apart.

Everyone is so caught up in the brothers' battle that they seem to have forgotten that Opal is missing. Joe is convinced, though, that the local outfitter who was the last to see her alive isn’t responsible for her murder. He begins to believe the reason for Opal’s disappearance is much more twisted and sinister.

http://www.cjbox.net/content/plain-sight

5/5.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 10:24:30 PM by The Schofield Kid » Logged

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #838 on: October 14, 2012, 02:37:16 AM »

I got half way through this and was thinking what a huge disappointment it was after the last book that I couldn't put down. Then it picked up in the second half and turned out to be just as good as the first five books in the series.

Joe Pickett, recently fired from his job as a Wyoming game warden, is working on his father-in-law’s ranch when he receives a visit from the governor. Governor Rulon – a devious but down-home politico – has a special request, one Joe knows he can’t refuse. For weeks, the headlines have been abuzz with the story of Clay McCann, a lawyer who slaughtered four campers in a far-off corner of Yellowstone.

After the murders, McCann immediately turned himself in at the nearest ranger station. Seemed like a slam-dunk case for law enforcement – except that the crimes were committed in a thin sliver of land with zero residents and overlapping jurisdiction, the so-called free-fire zone. McCann has taken advantage of an obscure loophole in the law: neither the state nor the federal government can try him for his crime. The worst mass murderer in Wyoming history walks out of jail a free man.

http://www.cjbox.net/books/free-fire

4/5.

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #839 on: October 15, 2012, 01:33:10 AM »

In view of your enthusiasm SK, I will try to get the first book from the library when I go tomorrow.  I hope they have Open Season.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 52 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T