News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Books Read  (Read 203124 times)
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #300 on: June 17, 2007, 04:22:54 AM »

I'm waiting for Harry Potter also!  :D I've made my reservation of the book in a local store, I will get it among the first ones on the day it will be released. And it's in english, of course. I haven't even read them in finnish, I don't want to.  ::)

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #301 on: June 17, 2007, 09:55:32 AM »

Well done satu reading them in English.  We will have to talk about how we enjoyed it, or not, when we have both read it.  :)
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #302 on: June 18, 2007, 06:55:39 AM »

Yes Lin, absolutely. It will be great to share thoughts with you. :)

The reason I don't want to read them in Finnish is, that the first Harry Potter I read was in English. I was practising to my final tests in high school by reading books in English. I borrowed few Potters from my friend who had brought them from the U.S. I had never thought much about them before, but when I read them, I really liked them.  :D So now I'm hooked.  ;D And watching them on TV with Finnish subtitles makes me so confused (the names of things and people translated) so I don't even want to touch the Finnish version books.  :D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 06:58:21 AM by -satu- » Logged

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #303 on: June 18, 2007, 07:30:48 PM »

There's nothing that solidifies your knowledge of a foreign language like reading a whole book in it, preferably without the help of a dictionary. :)
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #304 on: June 19, 2007, 01:16:07 AM »

I only had to check few words.  ;D And I already had a clue about what they could mean. And I was right.  :D

KC, you're right about the dictionary. If I would start to check every word I don't know, it wouldn't work. I'd probably read the dictionary more than the book itself. I've learned not to care if don't know some word.  :)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #305 on: June 19, 2007, 06:05:26 AM »

The funny thing is, after you see the same unknown word a second or third time, you figure out what they mean! The context is everything. ;)
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #306 on: June 19, 2007, 08:28:05 AM »

I remember the very first book I read in English: Stephen King's "The Shawshank Redemption". My. Oh. My.  :o
Thank Goodness, I had a dictionary with me at the time. I was 15 and I barely had 2 years of English behind me. It wasn't even my first foreign language (the first foreign language other than French that I had decided to study at school was German).

I don't know what had gotten into me ... it was very tough, because I was pretty much stopping at every word -no kiddin'- to look it up in a dictionary LOL Now that I think about it, probably not the most effective method, but I like to think it paid off anyway ;)

KC, you're right about the dictionary. If I would start to check every word I don't know, it wouldn't work. I'd probably read the dictionary more than the book itself.
Oooops  ;D This is exactly what happened to me. Once I had finished the book, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what it was about -or even the names of the characters  :D
-satu- you are a much smarter reader than I was  8)

I had a notebook -still have it somewhere- where I used to write all the hard words -that is, in the beginning, EVERY.SINGLE.WORD  :D Once it was full -and that happened pretty quickly as you can imagine, I started writing things down on pieces of paper -which I kept as well  ;D

And then I read "Different Seasons" (also by Stephen King) -MUCH easier because it's not one big story like "Shawshank".

The funny thing is, after you see the same unknown word a second or third time, you figure out what they mean! The context is everything. ;)
That certainly helped this time  ::) And by then I had learned the lesson: you must choose between reading the book, or reading the dictionary  :D ;D

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #307 on: June 19, 2007, 08:55:48 AM »

That's right KC ! :)

The first thing in English that I translated in its entirety was ... "The Wall" by Pink Floyd, summer 1980.
I can't remember if I had a dictionnary with me all the time, some songs are not very difficult to translate, only the theme was "obscure" for me sometimes ! I put the translated songs in a notebook, and the following year, at Secondary School, I gave a talk on Pink Floyd ! :)

I think that things have been easier for several years to learn English (or another language), with DVD in original languages, Internet, a lot of non translated books sold ...

But in my youth (long time ago ! ;D), I had a teacher who always told us that one of the best way to learn a foreign language was to listen and listen a group or a singer that we love, trying to understand the subject, then sing, sing, sing, good for the accent ! ;)
That's what I did, with Pink Floyd,  The Beatles, Leonard Cohen, Patti Smith, Police, Supertramp, Genesis and so on : I've got plenty of notebooks full of translations ! And when my girls were babies, I only sang them english songs to help them to fall asleep  ;D 

But talking about "real" books, the first one was "The Portable North American Indian Reader", Frederick Turner III, that I still love to read ... :)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 01:10:19 AM by Sylvie » Logged

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #308 on: June 19, 2007, 06:41:26 PM »

I had a notebook -still have it somewhere- where I used to write all the hard words -that is, in the beginning, EVERY.SINGLE.WORD  :D Once it was full -and that happened pretty quickly as you can imagine, I started writing things down on pieces of paper -which I kept as well  ;D
Does that mean you have your very own handwritten copy of The Shawshank Redemption? ;) ;D
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #309 on: June 20, 2007, 12:37:28 AM »

Exactly!!  ;D Cool, huh?  :D

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #310 on: June 20, 2007, 01:21:54 PM »

How many languages do you know, AB?

"Reality continues to ruin my life" - Calvin
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #311 on: June 20, 2007, 02:08:55 PM »

How many languages do you know, AB?
I know French and English -I used to know quite a bit of German too -studied the language for 7 years, but I lost practically everything when at the end of my high school years, I decided to study English only.
So I gave up German -which I realize it now, was foolish. Fewer and fewer people speak German -in France (foreign languages is nooot exactly our strong point  :D) and outside Germany ... but you know what they say, 'you never forget how to ride a bike' -all I need is a little practice, and I'm sure everything I learned will come back to me -or at least the basics will  ;)

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #312 on: June 20, 2007, 02:57:10 PM »

I find sometimes that when I'm on break from school I have problems getting a novel read all the way through. It's strange. I love to read but, I don't know, after reading nine novels for school during two quarters, I don't always feel like reading a bunch of novels when I'm on "vacation." There's plenty of stuff I want to read, just getting through it all seems to be the problem. :D I think I'm going to start on Kindred by Octavia Butler soon and see how that goes.

Maybe later in the summer I'll start on some novels I'll have to read during the Fall quarter. ^-^
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #313 on: June 21, 2007, 01:39:32 AM »

I have the same with French than AB with German. I studied it for 7 years, had excellent grades but now (haven't touched the books in a few years) I remember nothing. I had a good basis in the grammar, because I read everything twice. That was because I couldn't continue in the high school I got in to, so I started everything from the beginning.  ::) I would like to go to France to work for six months, I would get some practice in the language.  :)

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #314 on: June 25, 2007, 09:14:45 AM »

- "Unnatural Exposure" by Patricia Cornwell

- "Cause of Death" by Patricia Cornwell

- "The Catcher in The Rye" by J.D. Salinger

- "Brokeback Mountain" by Annie Proulx

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #315 on: June 25, 2007, 10:27:42 AM »

I like Patricia Cornwell's books.    I have not read Cause of Death.  That will be the next one I read.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #316 on: June 25, 2007, 10:42:40 AM »

I like Patricia Cornwell's books.    I have not read Cause of Death.  That will be the next one I read.
I LOVE Patricia Cornwell. The Scarpetta series is brilliant. I read the first 8 in French -just before my baccalauréat - I actually didn't read them, it was more like I devoured them  :D I was so stressed out, I don't know but reading sort of helped me get my mind off the exams. I was offered this compilation -2 books with 4 stories each, for my birthday.

It didn't get me long to read all of them. Anyway, that's how I got into her work.

I now have all of her novels in paperback. I'm re-reading them all in English. Much better  ;)

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #317 on: July 11, 2007, 04:29:43 AM »

Just finished this and I can highly recommend it. A Great Read.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #318 on: July 11, 2007, 05:23:26 AM »

Thanks! We'd like to do an updated edition, though ... it ends in 1998. :)
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #319 on: July 12, 2007, 07:43:50 AM »

Just picked this up for £2.  :o

Just what I needed.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 52 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T