News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Books Read  (Read 199648 times)
Aline

Email
« Reply #460 on: April 28, 2009, 12:15:26 PM »

You should be bought it, Christopher, it seems interesting.

I got a little worried after posting that even tough if there aren't any children on the board. Just letting you know the book doesn't have explicit content, it's just a cartoon and some dialogues are just hilarious. I'm even considering to buy the other ones. :)
Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #461 on: April 29, 2009, 03:53:28 AM »

I'm in the midst of this crazy adventure; good stuff  O0

One of the guys at work is reading this one. He seems to like it so far.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #462 on: April 29, 2009, 10:33:08 AM »

A Life In Pictures.  Clint Eastwood.

Not so much a read more a look at.   The pictures are fantastic so I sat down a looked/read it all afternoon.  :)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #463 on: May 05, 2009, 10:50:14 AM »

The Talented Mr Ripley...

Thoroughly enjoyed this.. at last.
I'm gonna read more of her books.. starting with a collection of short stories..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #464 on: May 07, 2009, 03:39:31 PM »

I have a book group I go to every month, been going since Sept 2005, so I end up reading a lot of books. Trouble is, I don't have time for books beyond book group!

The last one I read was Revolutionary Road. It was a good read, but boy, was it depressing. I didn't go and see the film because it looked pretty depressing, and I wasn't in the mood for it. But the book is depressing too! I do recommend it though. I loved the writing style and it really conjures up a picture of 1950s surburban America.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #465 on: May 07, 2009, 03:42:30 PM »

Gant radio 4 has just run a series of Mr Ripley plays and they were so good I plan to read the book too.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #466 on: May 07, 2009, 10:33:51 PM »

The Talented Mr Ripley...

Thoroughly enjoyed this.. at last.
I'm gonna read more of her books.. starting with a collection of short stories..

It's nice to see another fan.  I definitely recommend reading the other Ripley books.  They're less psychologically complex but in many ways more fun to read. 

Ripley Under Ground is my favorite of the sequels and is probably the best.  Here Ripley has settled into a comfortable existence and we find him with a wife.  Now Tom's sexuality is open for debate, but I tend to think that just as he is amoral, he is also mostly asexual.  And remember Tom is a self-made man in the most extreme way and part of that invention of himself apparently included a wife.  But he is happy that she makes few sexual demands of him.  Appropriately, Tom earns some extra money from an art forgery scam, and he asks the question: Why shouldn't a good forgery be every bit as valuable as an original?  In fact, Tom prefers the forgery, which should only be natural since his life is in many ways a forgery. 

Ripley's Game is not only the most action-packed of all the Ripley books, but is the most action-packed of all of Highsmith's books.  It's twice been made into a film, the first time as The American Friend, starring Dennis Hopper as Tom Ripley.  Despite the fact that Dennis Hopper was a very strange choice to play Tom Ripley, the film surprisingly works in many ways.  The book was adapted again a few years ago, now with John Malkovich as Tom Ripley.  As miscast as Dennis Hopper was, I think John Malkovich was an even worse choice.  And it's not so much that there's anything wrong with the movie, it's just that there's very little right with it, apart from a few good moments of suspense.

The Boy Who Followed Ripley is my least favorite of the Ripley books.  It starts off with lots of promise and is quite good, and then all of a sudden it just veers off and spends the last half just wandering around going nowhere.  It does play around with ideas of sexual identity and changing gender roles, but ultimately I just didn't find that it added up to anything.

Ripley Under Water is the last of the so-called Ripliad, and was published 36 years after The Talented Mr. Ripley.  It's mostly pretty lightweight, but it's nice to get one more chance to hang out with the world's most endearing psychopath. 

I think by far of the many film adaptations Anthony Minghella's 1999 film The Talented Mr. Ripley is the best.  I have little doubt Patricia Highsmith would have loved it, and it's the reason I discovered her books and the reason for her sudden popularity, which sadly is already fading again, but at least it meant after all her work was brought back into print that I was able to collect them all.  I had so hoped there would be more Ripley films starring Matt Damon, but that never transpired and of course we lost Anthony Minghella a year or so ago.  My only complaint with the film was the last murder, which is not in the book, and the fact that Tom kills the person who knows him as Tom Ripley while the person who knows him as Dickie Greenleaf remains alive.  They kind of didn't think that one through.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #467 on: May 07, 2009, 10:53:51 PM »

Doug, have you ever seen Purple Noon (Plein soleil), the René Clément adaptation (in French) of The Talented Mr. Ripley, starring Alain Delon? It's been years since I saw it, but I recall finding it a very striking film at the time. (I've never read the books, but maybe this will inspire me.)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #468 on: May 08, 2009, 01:44:23 AM »

Doug, have you ever seen Purple Noon (Plein soleil), the René Clément adaptation (in French) of The Talented Mr. Ripley, starring Alain Delon? It's been years since I saw it, but I recall finding it a very striking film at the time. (I've never read the books, but maybe this will inspire me.)

Yes, I saw it a few years ago.  I liked it quite a bit, and Alain Delon was great as Tom Ripley.  The ending was all wrong, of course.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:46:44 AM by Doug » Logged

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #469 on: May 15, 2009, 09:14:38 AM »

I liked this one quite a bit.Really entertaining book  :

O0
Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #470 on: June 10, 2009, 11:56:08 AM »

A book about how the world would be if humans just vanished. Entertaining, and educational. Some stuff in there that I knew, but more that I didn't.

"Reality continues to ruin my life" - Calvin
Aline

Email
« Reply #471 on: June 10, 2009, 02:25:21 PM »

The cover reminds me Mystic River poster :)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #472 on: June 11, 2009, 09:42:06 AM »

Parkinson interviewed so many famous people and he tells many funny and sad anecdotes about a lot of them.  On page 324 he mentions meeting and interviewing Clint Eastwood and also Kyle.  There is a nice picture of him with Clint too,   He says Clint asked him and his wife Mary to join him for dinner and then go on to see Kyle play at a jazz club.  Parkinson refused saying he was too tired.  His wife Mary has NEVER forgiven him!!!   I don't blame her.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 09:43:47 AM by Lin. » Logged
Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #473 on: June 24, 2009, 10:38:18 AM »

Michael Crichton - Prey

He's written better. Flawed, and the ending was rushed but still entertaining.

Ian Fleming - From Russia, With Love

Probably his best. And probably my favorite one.

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #474 on: June 25, 2009, 11:54:26 PM »

One of the nicest, funniest and saddest books about a dog that I have ever read.  He does not die at the end and leaves you laughing.

I expect the movie to be different. The book is sad and funny.  I could never read it again knowing the ending.
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #475 on: July 14, 2009, 03:35:51 AM »

Survivors from the Chernobyl disaster recount their experiences.

Just started this one...

Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #476 on: July 14, 2009, 03:14:41 PM »

Yet another Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child  O0

http://www.leechild.com/NTL.php
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:23:39 AM by Hemlock » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #477 on: July 14, 2009, 04:48:57 PM »

Trying to finish this before I see the movie version at Scandinavia House tomorrow night ...

I've read it before, years ago, don't remember a thing about the plot. Staalesen is one of my favorite Nordic crime writers, though I haven't kept up with his stuff in recent years.
Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #478 on: July 15, 2009, 02:31:16 PM »

Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #479 on: July 19, 2009, 11:19:59 PM »

http://club.recherche.aol.fr/aol/idoidPage?query=frank+mccourt+died&type=web&pageNum=1&title=Author+Frank+McCourt+dead%3A+New+York+Times+-+Yahoo%21+News&s_it=web_serp&s_cid=101587159805663479538737533658709796146&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.yahoo.com%2Fs%2Fafp%2F20090719%2Fen_afp%2Fentertainmentliteratureusirelandmccourtreport

The great writer Frank Mc Court died at the age of 78, I've just heard that sad news on the radio.

I love his famous "Angela's Ashes " (Pulitzer Prize), then "'TIS", two books that I often offered to my friends.

R.I.P Monsieur Mc Court.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 11:25:27 PM by Sylvie » Logged

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 52 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T