News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Books Read  (Read 199653 times)
Aline

Email
« Reply #500 on: December 11, 2009, 07:01:36 AM »

Didn't read it yet, but I'm very happy that I got this yesterday:)

Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #501 on: December 11, 2009, 09:41:36 AM »

It was a slow night at work so I killed time reading once more this one:

"On the dance floor half a dozen couples were throwing themselves around with the reckless abandon of a night watchman with arthritis "  8)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #502 on: December 12, 2009, 12:47:21 AM »

Michael Mansfield... Memoirs of a Radical Lawyer

I've always been interested in law.. Mansfield has been involved as a defence lawyer in some of the biggest cases in recent British criminal history. A very interesting read.

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #503 on: December 16, 2009, 06:38:42 PM »

Good book that really shows how desperation can bring out the best and worst in people.  Mainly thanks to Stalin having his best generals executed out of paranoia in the late 30s, the Germans were able to surround Leningrad (what is now Saint Petersburg) during WWII.  Nearly a million people starved during the siege.

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #504 on: December 17, 2009, 12:18:57 AM »

The Buddha of Suberbia

Read this first back at college many years ago.

Hilarious and totally original picture of the life of a young Pakistani growing up in 70's London.

Still a great read. Turned into a tv series some years back with a great soundtrack by David Bowie.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #505 on: January 03, 2010, 07:20:19 PM »

I'm a big fan of the film as you all know and I bought this about 15-20 years ago in a second hand book shop for about a $1 or $2. It wasn't in great condition but I just had to have it for that price.

Decided to read it again a couple of months back and up until a few days ago had only read just over half of it, but with my new enthusiasm for reading I polished off the last 100 pages in a couple of days.

It's just as good as the movie if not better. The pages where they have the three they suspect of cattle rustling and murder and are getting ready to lynch them is well written and it gets the heart racing even though I knew how it all ends that I couldn't put it down. I even started reading during the daytime.

Not many books have that effect on me.

If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #506 on: January 04, 2010, 10:58:22 PM »

Finished this one over the holidays…

Gray Ghosts of the Confederacy-1958

Overleaf

Gray Ghosts of the Confederacy is a history of the Confederate guerrillas who- under the ruthless command of such men as William C. Quantrill and "Bloody Bill" Anderson- plunged Missouri into a bloody, vicious conflict of an intensity unequaled in any other theater of the Civil War.  Among their numbers were Frank and Jesse James and Cole and James Younger, who would later become infamous by extending the tactics they had learned during the war into civilian life.

Really a great read about the Kansas/Missouri boarder war .  I found that I couldn’t put the thing down.  So many colorful characters I found myself plugging Josey Wales in just for the fun of it.

Some interesting facts I found in the book:  

General Stand Watie was a Cherokee Confederate who led an all-Indian regimen in the Indian Nations.

Senator Jim Lane of Kansas is quoted in the book as actually saying, “Everything disloyal, from a Shanghai rooster to a Durham cow, must be cleaned out…”  

At the end of the war Fletcher Taylor tried to get the rest of his fellow partisans to surrender peacefully.    

The real secret of their success in combat against their more numerous Union enemy, aside form their guerrilla tactics, lay in their superior weapon, the Colt revolving pistol.  The revolver was the primary weapon of Quantrill’s men, and there is abundant evidence that they were deadly with this frontier weapon.  It became customary for the guerrillas to carry from two to eight revolvers in their belts and on their saddles.  These rapid firing, five and six shot weapons, in addition to the customary Sharps carbine, gave them a tremendous volume of fire power.

Union Captain Edward Terrill hunted down and killed William Quantrill.

There was a field commander Colonel Thomas Moonlight.

The “guerrilla shirt” was patterned after the hunting coat of the Western plainsman, was cut low in front, the slit narrowing to a point above the belt and ending in a rosette.  The garment had four big pockets, two in the breast, and ranged in color from brilliant red to homespun butternut.  They were made by the mothers, wives, and sweethearts of the guerrillas, and many were elaborately decorated with colored needlework.

Anyway, highly recommended for anyone interested in the American Civil War or any Josey Wales fan…
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:06:56 PM by D'Ambrosia » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #507 on: January 04, 2010, 11:20:18 PM »

Great stuff, D'Amb!
Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #508 on: January 05, 2010, 02:50:31 PM »

Picked this up for 50 cents. Can't beat that really. My favorite of his.

Lot of great lines in this one. My favorite has always been: "Brody took a gun out of the cigar box and pointed it at my nose. I looked at the gun. It was a black Police .39. I had no argument against it at the moment." Going to read the rest of them too.

"Reality continues to ruin my life" - Calvin
PeterD

View Profile Email
« Reply #509 on: January 15, 2010, 02:47:10 AM »

The Golden Orange by Joseph Wambaugh.

Joseph Wambaugh's earlier books were renown for their black humour which would sometimes be so good that you would laugh out loud. He told stories of cops walking the beat and living on the edge.

As the years passed, he seemed to strongly veer away from this sort of story and go towards stories with cops as a side attraction but novels that were more about human nature.

In this novel, we are in the Golden Orange, an area where the very rich people play and we get to see Winnie, a former cop and current alcoholic who is down on his luck, who meets a wealthy woman who has secrets.

The book itself is not terrible or anything, it is just ordinary. There is very little humour and it just seems to me like the author was writing about the people that he spends time with. The problem is that the wealthy tend to be rather dull......
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #510 on: January 15, 2010, 03:45:35 AM »

James Ellroy has been on a lot of French TV and radio for several days to promote his last book called "Underworld -USA", and that has just been traslated in french : does anybdy here have already read it ? What do you think about it ?

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #511 on: January 15, 2010, 08:08:38 AM »

James Ellroy has been on a lot of French TV and radio for several days to promote his last book called "Underworld -USA", and that has just been traslated in french : does anybdy here have already read it ? What do you think about it ?

If I´m not mistaken Ellroy`s "Underworld- USA" is actually three different books,a trilogy;American Tabloid,The Cold Six Thousand and the latest Blood`s A Rover.

I have read them all (finished Blood`s A Rover just a few days ago).I liked them a lot.I love the way Ellroy writes and how he mixes the history and fiction. There`s characters from real life persons;J Edgar Hoover,Howard Hughes and  Richard M.Nixon to fictional ones.
If you liked his L.A. Quartet which included books:The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential, and White Jazz you`ll like this trilogy too.
Also his Lloyd Hopkins trilogy is not bad at all if not as great as those other books of his.

Btw Ellroy`s coming to Finland to promote Blood`s A Rover,next month.Got to be there when he`s interviewed.Evidently he is quite a character in life  ;)

Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #512 on: January 15, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »

:) Thank you very much Hemlock ! That will be my next purchase at the bookshop. Among all the books you talked about, I've got The Black Dalhia, L.A Confidential but in French, too difficult for me to read Ellroy in original version ...

You're right when you says that he is quite a character in life : he was on Canal + Channel yesterday evening, everything he said was really powerful, nearly strange too sometimes : he talked about Howard Hugues, and critized the way he has been represented in "Aviator" with Leonardo Di Caprio, you could feel that he could talk and talk for hours.
 He said too that he loves France because he has always sold more books here than in the USA !  ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 08:57:00 AM by Sylvie » Logged

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #513 on: January 15, 2010, 05:12:50 PM »

Call the Guinness Book Of Records people. I've read a book in less than two weeks!!!!

I really enjoyed this and have started on Great Expectations already. I couldn't put it down, every chance I got to read a chapter or two I did. I don't think I've ever done that in my life.

I'm hoping Great Expectations is just as good?

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #514 on: January 15, 2010, 07:04:56 PM »

I'm hoping Great Expectations is just as good?

Well, I think your expectations of it can be ... great! ;)

A Tale of Two Cities was a favorite of Matt's (the old Matt, not the new one). I should re-read it, since I've spent a good part of the last decade cataloging material from the period of the French Revolution and the Enlightenment, which preceded it and in some ways made it inevitable.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #515 on: January 17, 2010, 05:13:34 AM »

Well done SK perhaps you are on the road to becoming an avid reader.   CEWB permitting.    ;D

A Tale of Two Cities was a good start and like KC I think you will enjoy Great Expectations. 

Try Wilkie Collins too if you like something different try reading The Woman In White.

You might find this interesting.       http://www.wilkie-collins.info/wilkie_collins_dickens.htm   
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #516 on: February 09, 2010, 12:46:27 AM »

Well I wasn't disappointed. Even better than A Tale Of Two Cities.

It just didn't seem as though I was ever going to finish it. I'm not saying that in a bad way but reading a chapter or two each night and it never seemed as though I was getting closer to the end. I suppose 477 pages in three and half weeks is still good for me though.

I kept remembering little snippets from the film with Alec Guinness and John Mills, so I'll be keeping an eye for that next time it comes around for a midnight showing.

Got take a few days break, I can't get to the library before the weekend. I wonder what I'll pick up next?

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #517 on: February 09, 2010, 03:55:07 AM »

Now you are getting into reading a whole new world will open up for you.   There are so many books and so little time. ;D    I have read books since I could read on my own and always have at least two on the go.  You will start to find authors who you enjoy, not necessarily very famous writers, whos books will be a joy to read.   
Keep it up SK and you will read faster as time goes on. :)    477 pages in 3 weeks isn't bad you know!   Just because people can read 900 page tomes in a weekend does not mean they have really taken in the the story or information.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #518 on: February 13, 2010, 02:09:13 AM »

and

I don't read enough novels..but thoroughly enjoyed these.. One Day was a fantastic read.

Conan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

JP

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #519 on: February 14, 2010, 05:28:21 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 52 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T