News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Books Read  (Read 199473 times)
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #520 on: February 15, 2010, 12:56:01 AM »

The story of Taliesin the last Celtic Shaman.  It contains the stories and poems by Taliesin.   Translated by various writers.  These are stories I love to read.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #521 on: February 27, 2010, 09:55:58 PM »

I wonder what I'll pick up next?

My third book for the year was a little disappointing. I know it wasn't the Hemingway book that Doug recommended but it was the only one I saw at the library. Romance novel fans may like it more and I only found it got interesting in the last half.

And it seem to end quite abruptly to me. When I finished, I turned the page expected more and thought, what is that it?

Oh well, they can't all be great. Back to the library tomorrow.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #522 on: February 27, 2010, 10:25:53 PM »

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #523 on: February 27, 2010, 10:31:56 PM »

Try the movie. ;)

Funny. I meant to say in that post that the film was on telly a couple of weeks ago and since Coop was in it, and I hadn't seen it before, I taped it and will view it some time next week.

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #524 on: February 28, 2010, 08:21:05 AM »

My third book for the year was a little disappointing. I know it wasn't the Hemingway book that Doug recommended but it was the only one I saw at the library. Romance novel fans may like it more and I only found it got interesting in the last half.

And it seem to end quite abruptly to me. When I finished, I turned the page expected more and thought, what is that it?

Oh well, they can't all be great. Back to the library tomorrow.

Not a fan of A Farewell to Arms, though I can't imagine what you thought was going to come next.  The ending is pretty clear.  I love the descriptions in the book, but I hate the dialogue, which felt as though Hemingway had no idea of what to have his characters say.  The plot is so-so.  I would not have recommended it, especially as an introduction to Hemingway. 

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
El bueno

View Profile Email
« Reply #525 on: March 03, 2010, 07:41:42 PM »

I donít read many books, however I just finished Ingrid Pittís autobiography ďIngrid Pitt: Darkness Before DawnĒ.  The book includes WED and Clint Eastwood related content. 

Ingrid had an appalling childhood Ė if you donít know what I am referring to she was in a Nazi concentration camp in WW2.   

I have a great deal of respect for Ingrid and am happy she has maintained a sense of humour after her difficult early life.
Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #526 on: March 03, 2010, 09:44:10 PM »

Decided to try some more unconventional kinda novels. Felt I needed to read something different.

Had to power through this one cause I got bored with it early on.

Making my way through this one right now.

"Reality continues to ruin my life" - Calvin
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #527 on: March 04, 2010, 03:15:21 AM »

How'd you like the Kafka? :)
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #528 on: March 04, 2010, 04:28:15 PM »

Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #529 on: March 08, 2010, 10:52:05 AM »

How'd you like the Kafka? :)

Eh, it was pretty good. Very deep book, with lots of layers and lots of things to get from it. I don't see myself reading that story again though.

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #530 on: March 20, 2010, 05:00:17 AM »

I have just finished reading Whittlewood again.  A spokey sort of story but I like the way Suzanne Ruthven writes.   Another of her books I finished a couple of weeks ago was What You Call Time.  They are books on the subject of witchcraft and the occult.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #531 on: March 21, 2010, 10:49:21 PM »

I enjoyed this. Certainly well named as it's adventure after adventure for the little rascal. Thanks to Doug for recommending this one. O0

My next read was going to be The Road. I actually bought the paperback a couple of weeks back, but after Christopher mentioned The Outlaw Josey Wales book, I've decided to re read that first.

Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #532 on: March 31, 2010, 02:15:39 PM »

Found it around campus. Picked it up, read it. S'pretty good, but the narration got grating after a while. Lotta allegory in this one.

A graphic novel. It was the story that inspired X2: X-Men United

A graphic novel based off the true story of the Cleveland Torso Murderer.

Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #533 on: April 02, 2010, 06:54:30 AM »

"Mšn som hatar kvinnor"

Good read and there`s also a good film made out of it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132620/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:34:41 PM by Hemlock » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #534 on: April 02, 2010, 07:16:32 PM »

Both the book and the film are known in the U.S. under the title The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. A friend who say the movie told me the Swedish title ("Men Who Hate Women") is more appropriate. She was repulsed by the violence in the film. I'm planning to see it anyway, but won't get time for another week or so.

EDIT: Actually, Hemlock, isn't your book the second in the so-called "Millennium-trilogy" by Larsson? At any rate, the title translates as "The Girl Who Played With Fire," which is the title of the second book in the trilogy in both Swedish and English ("Flickan som lekte med elden" in Swedish). The second film has been released under that title also ... see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1216487/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:24:35 PM by KC » Logged
Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #535 on: April 12, 2010, 12:48:47 PM »

I've been reading a lot lately.

Jean-Paul Sartre's Nausea

Tayeb Salih's Season of Migration to the North

higashimori
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #536 on: April 12, 2010, 06:53:40 PM »

Alcatraz, you read many interesting books..... Do you study philosophy ?   8)

" They just don't make then like this anymore ."      " I just don't meet then like him anymore !! "
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #537 on: April 13, 2010, 02:42:41 PM »

EDIT: Actually, Hemlock, isn't your book the second in the so-called "Millennium-trilogy" by Larsson?

Yup,you`re right KC (as always  ;) ) I put the wrong cover up (and have now changed it).Iīm actually reading that second book out of the"Millenium-trilogy" .

I also have now watched all three films out of these books and got to say that after two really good film I felt a bit disappointed after seeing the third film.It was surprisingly dull  :(

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #538 on: April 13, 2010, 06:35:07 PM »

Yup,you`re right KC (as always  ;) ) I put the wrong cover up (and have now changed it).

And the title translates literally (according to Google Translate) as "Men Who Hate Women" ... just like in Swedish. I wonder why the English/American publishers decided to change it? ???
D'Ambrosia
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #539 on: April 16, 2010, 10:23:47 PM »

The 1977 Craig Thomas novel Firefox.  I must say that knowing the Eastwood movie after all of these years I was surprised at how true to the novel to the movie actually was.  The movie is really true to the novel with the exception of the physical appearance of the Firefox    The only real difference is that the MIG 31 in the novel is a more conventional aircraft were as the movie was a little a bit ahead of itís time with the Foxfire resembling the not yet reviled Stealth fighter/bomber.  Itís a really fast read and hard to put down.  The novel starts with Gant entering the Soviet Union and the goes from there.  All the movie preliminaries are really just flash backs in the novel.  Half of the novel is Gant flying the MIG were as in the movie itís just the last act.  For the longest time I always thought that the movies ending was weak but after reading the novel itís exactly the way Thomas ends the book.  Itís really a great cold war yarn and after reading it I actually appreciate Clintís attempt to put it to celluloid.  As Clint has said in the past, he should have laid off the special effects and let the story do the telling.  9 out of 10.          
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:27:39 PM by D'Ambrosia » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 52 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T