News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Books Read  (Read 199690 times)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #840 on: October 16, 2012, 05:14:49 PM »

Another enjoyable read. Number 8 in the series. I like how in these books, characters from earlier books pop up and are connected to the current story.

It’s elk season in the Rockies, but this year one hunter is stalking a different kind of prey. When the call comes in on the radio, Joe Pickett can hardly believe his ears: game wardens have found a hunter dead at a camp in the mountains—strung up, gutted, skinned, and beheaded, as if he were the elk he’d been pursuing. A spent cartridge and a poker chip lie next to his body.

http://www.cjbox.net/books/blood-trail

4/5.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #841 on: October 21, 2012, 05:44:55 PM »

I like how in these books, characters from earlier books pop up and are connected to the current story.

I said that before knowing anything about this bombshell in book number 9 in the series.

“Tell Sherry April called.” That simple phone message shakes Joe Pickett’s oldest daughter Sheridan and the rest of the family to the core. To Joe, it doesn’t seem even remotely possible that April could have survived the massacre described in Winterkill six years before. He was there, and he was unable to save her. But Sheridan starts to believe there’s a chance that April is still alive, and her suspicions are confirmed when the person sending texts to her cell phone is able to recall family incidents only April could know.

http://www.cjbox.net/books/below-zero

4/5.

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #842 on: October 22, 2012, 02:50:50 AM »

Thanks for posting the link SK. It was interesting to hear him talk about his novels. He doesn't look anything like I imagined, however I found him to be someone I would like to get to know and the best way to do that is to read his books.

There wasn't a copy of any of his books in the library but they are ordering Open Season for me so I hope to start reading the first one very soon.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #843 on: October 25, 2012, 10:57:19 PM »

Joe Pickett’s in his last week as the temporary game warden in the isolated town of Baggs, Wyoming, but there have been strange things going on in the surrounding mountains, and his conscience won’t let him leave without checking them out: reports of camps looted, tents slashed, elk butchered. And then there’s the runner who’s gone missing – an Olympic hopeful who’d been training in the region and then just…vanished. Joe doesn’t mind admitting that the farther he rides, the more he wishes he could just turn around and go home. And he is right to be concerned. Because what awaits him is like nothing he’s ever dealt with, like something out of an old story, except this is all too real and all too deadly. When he’d first saddled up, he’d thought of this as his last patrol. What he hadn’t known was just how accurate that might turn out to be.

http://www.cjbox.net/books/nowhere-run

Number 10 in the series is up to par with all the others. Only two more books left. :(

4/5.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #844 on: October 30, 2012, 10:53:39 PM »

When Earl Alden is found dead, dangling from a wind turbine, it's his wife, Missy, who is arrested. Unfortunately for Joe Pickett, Missy is his mother-in-law, a woman he dislikes heartily, and now he doesn't know what to do - especially when the early signs point to her being guilty as sin. But then things happen to make Joe wonder: Is Earl's death what it appears to be? Is Missy being set up? He has the county DA and sheriff on one side, his wife on the other, his estranged friend Nate on a lethal mission of his own, and some powerful interests breathing down his neck. Whichever way this goes...it's not going to be good.

http://www.cjbox.net/books/cold-wind

The second last Joe Pickett book delivers the goods again. Only one more to go. :(

4/5.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #845 on: October 31, 2012, 07:33:01 AM »

I finished Frankenstein. I'd read it a long time ago, so this was my second time with the book--it was as uplifting as I'd remembered! ;)

Recommended if you haven't read it before. The creature is both very sympathetic and terrifying in the book.
Elizabeth77
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #846 on: November 03, 2012, 08:03:21 PM »

I finished Frankenstein. I'd read it a long time ago, so this was my second time with the book--it was as uplifting as I'd remembered! ;)

Recommended if you haven't read it before. The creature is both very sympathetic and terrifying in the book.

I'll agree about the creature.  It's the creator that I had little use for.  He was so irresponsible, like some parents I've encountered over the years.

"Thought I was having trouble with my adding.  It's all right now."
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #847 on: November 03, 2012, 08:13:23 PM »

I'll agree about the creature.  It's the creator that I had little use for.  He was so irresponsible, like some parents I've encountered over the years.
Yeah, Victor certainly seems to go from one extreme to another! He's so obsessed with his quest and then rejects him as soon as he sees him live.
Elizabeth77
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #848 on: November 03, 2012, 08:40:35 PM »

Starting a week ago Thursday and finishing tonight, I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest.  This reading spree started when I borrowed the Swedish version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo from the library.  The librarian helpfully informed me that the movie was dubbed.  (I had read the back of the DVD case.)  Much to my surprise, I found myself drawn into the story.  I promptly checked out the first book and put the rest on hold.

I'm not much good at expressing what made the books and their characters real to me, but I was half way through the third book when I realized how well I could identify with Lisbeth Salander.  In the beginning, I could only see how completely opposite I am to her character in every possible way.  Then I caught a glimpse of myself alone.  As a child from a happy and well-adjusted home, I seemed to myself to walk through life alone.  Sometimes that sense still comes back to haunt me at odd moments.  Despite that moment of self-awareness that hit me while reading, I thoroughly enjoyed all three books.  There are moments when the story slows, or gets temporarily side-tracked, but I still found them compelling and had difficulty putting them down to get something else done.  :)  I found the ending of the last book to be sufficiently satisfactory that I'm glad that was the end of the series.

"Thought I was having trouble with my adding.  It's all right now."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #849 on: November 03, 2012, 10:31:05 PM »

Nice review, and I think you have caught very well why so many readers could identify with Lisbeth, though her life and experiences are so very different from their own.

I read the three of them in Swedish—it took me a little longer than the ten days it took you—and I agree that they are real "page turners." They got me back to really spending a lot of time reading again, after several years of mostly hanging out on the Internet by way of leisure time diversion.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #850 on: November 04, 2012, 06:33:06 PM »

I read the three of them in Swedish

Really  :o  8)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #851 on: November 05, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »

Joe Pickett never wanted to know about it, but Nate Romanowski always knew trouble was coming out of his past. Now it's here, and it may not only be the battle of his life -- but of Joe's.

In 1995, Nate was in a secret Special Forces unit abroad when a colleague did something terrible. Now high up in the government, the man is determined to eliminate anyone who knows about it, and Nate knows exactly how he'll do it-by striking at Nate's friends to draw him out. The entire Pickett family will be a target, and the only way to fight back is outside the law. Nate knows he can do it, but he isn't sure about his straight-arrow friend-and all their lives could depend on it.

http://www.cjbox.net/books/force-nature

The final Joe Pickett novel. Until the next one is written that is. Hopefully sometime next year, we'll see the next installment.

Again, another good read. It's just been a pleasure to read these books in order and watch the characters grow and develop with each book. The eldest daughter was only 7 or 8 in the first book but now is 19 and at college.

4/5.

Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #852 on: November 05, 2012, 03:30:40 PM »

(not the cover of the book that I read)

I do like to read these old Fleming novels...even though this one was a bit racist  :(

Now reading

The Affair
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #853 on: November 26, 2012, 10:45:29 PM »

Fascinating story of women prisoners in England, most on death row who had their sententences communted to penal transportation to Australia by King George III in 1789. 200+ women crammed onto the Lady Juliana for a voyage that even if you were lucky to survive the 11 month boat ride, life in a new penal colony that itself was struggling to survive would be even tougher.

This was a little drawn out but I think it was mainly because the author covered everything. The women's crimes took up the first 100 pages, the voyage, the next 100 and the final thirty pages on how they survived once in Sydney cove.

3/5.

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #854 on: November 27, 2012, 03:36:35 AM »

5/5

Written by the author of the DCI Banks books. The Banks stories are also a TV series. This book is different from his usual style. It was recommended to me by a friend who enjoyed it because it is set in the area where we live. Richmond North Yorkshire is mentioned often. I have read nearly all the Peter Robinson books but I think this one goes in at #1. Perhaps because I can "see" the places he is writing about so it makes the story more real.

Edit.

The picture seemed to have wondered off the post so I am posting it again.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:43:01 PM by Lin. » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #855 on: December 03, 2012, 11:09:18 AM »

The Good, The Bad and the Multiplex.. whats wrong with modern movies by Mark Kermode

Mark Kermode is a highly respected UK film critic.. I took this book away with me this weekend and finished the whole thing before touching back down in London 2 days later ..

Kermode enjoys exploding movie and movie making myths.. A long time critic of 3d he argues it is something imposed on the public rather than demanded of it.. its technical and artistic shortcomings are ably exposed.. Its a con. 

Other chapters are headed.. "What are film critics for ?"  where despite a total critical mauling across the world Sex and the City 2 still went on to make a fortune..

"Why Blockbusters Should Be Better"  "Pointless remakes of foreign language films" "Micheal Bay"
He's also very good at the lost pleasures of movie going, lambasting the soulessness of the robotised, digitaly projected multiplex experience.. Where we the customer spend a small fortune watching expensivly made bad films in over priced fast food joints..
One of my fave quotes in the book.. "We've turned our living rooms into cinemas and our cinemas into Living rooms" Too true..

A very good and often very funny read... recommended

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #856 on: December 03, 2012, 03:53:28 PM »

Sounds like a good buy Gant. Will look out for it.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #857 on: December 03, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »

I did enjoy it Lin... stick it on your Christmas list...  :)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #858 on: December 03, 2012, 07:29:22 PM »

Any mention of Clint's films?
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #859 on: December 04, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »

Only briefly with  Revenge of the Creature... its mainly a rant against rubbish films, 3d gi micks and modern cinemas. ... No place for Clint here :)
I listen to Marks film review show every week... He rated Cuve, said it was good old fashioned solid moviemaking with great performances and was moved by it....

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 52 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T