News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Books Read  (Read 199649 times)
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #940 on: July 10, 2015, 11:13:57 AM »

^ that is an awesome biography.Loved it  O0

Now I´m in the middle of this:

Sadly not as good as Ellroy`s earlier books.Still not bad either.
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #941 on: September 14, 2015, 11:21:49 AM »

Just ordered

Has anybody read it ?

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #942 on: September 14, 2015, 11:35:29 AM »

^ nope...but sure would love to  ;)

My last

Personal

Much better than the one before this,Never Go Back.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:29:34 AM by Hemlock » Logged
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #943 on: November 10, 2015, 12:29:31 PM »

I returned this to the library after reading through about a third of it but I am going to request it back and finish it.  I came across a biography on Sam Phillips that I'm interested in but decided to finish this first after all.   

“Eyuh.”
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #944 on: November 15, 2015, 12:16:59 PM »

Picked up a first edition of The Man Who Fell To Earth by Walter Travis... Very enjoyable, good movie too

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #945 on: January 24, 2016, 11:12:15 PM »

This is my wife's favourite book. I decided to give it a go while we away camping last week and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. Usually I can only read about a dozen pages at the most before I fall asleep or my attention span wans but I was ploughing through 60-70 pages at a time.

4/5.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #946 on: January 24, 2016, 11:35:40 PM »

It is a GREAT book. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, SK!

(By the way, just in case anyone out there is completely unaware of "Jane Eyre" ... it is not "an autobiography," it is a novel, and "Currer Bell" is not the editor but the author, and "he" is actually Charlotte Brontë, who chose a "gender-neutral" pseudonym matching her initials because women were disrespected as authors (or just about anything else) in those days.

SK has illustrated his post with the title page of the first edition, which is probably worth a fortune ... I assume you actually had something of a bit more recent vintage with you out in the bush, SK! :D
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #947 on: January 24, 2016, 11:40:11 PM »

SK has illustrated his post with the title page of the first edition, which is probably worth a fortune ... I assume you actually had something of a bit more recent vintage with you out in the bush, SK! :D

Yeah, I just went to Wikipedia for a pic and it was that and I was too lazy to search for another pic.

My edition was a Penguin Classic.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #948 on: January 24, 2016, 11:46:59 PM »

I have a really beautiful 2nd edition of A Tale of Two Cities that someone found for me, and another someone gave me. It's my only special book.

I haven't read it because I'm afraid of hurting it. It smells beautiful, and feels amazing. I'm just afraid a page will break off of it. I read my ugly Penguin edition when I want to read parts of it (or the whole thing).  Which is a shame. It's just so special.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #949 on: January 25, 2016, 06:45:28 AM »

This is my wife's favourite book. I decided to give it a go while we away camping last week and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. Usually I can only read about a dozen pages at the most before I fall asleep or my attention span wans but I was ploughing through 60-70 pages at a time.

4/5.
I read Jane Eyre a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot too! I got into a discussion with two girl friends, one preferred Jane Eyre, and the other preferred Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. So I said I'd read both and determine who was right (because my opinion would be right, of course :D ;D ;) ). I liked both, but did like Jane Eyre better.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #950 on: January 25, 2016, 07:55:42 AM »

They're very different books ... it's apples and oranges. But both are great!
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #951 on: January 30, 2016, 03:59:53 AM »

Jazz Cleopatra by Phyllis Rose

The life and carear of Josephine Baker.

Josephine Baker was a black singer and dancer who came to work in Paris in the early 20's and had pretty much the same impact on Europe as Elvis Presley some 30 years later..
The author has done this great artist proud and I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish..
Fasinating look at Ms Baker and the times she lived in..

Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #952 on: January 30, 2016, 04:00:25 PM »

Both pretty mediocre stuff.Was even a bit disappointed with Jo Nesbø`s Blood On The Snow (not a "Harry Hole" book).

Now reading Nesbø `s The Redeemer and it`s as great as rest of the "Harry Hole"-books have been...so far anyway  ;)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #953 on: January 30, 2016, 07:00:23 PM »

I binge-read the whole Harry Hole series last summer ... they were cumulatively terrific. I recall thinking The Redeemer was one of the best.
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #954 on: January 30, 2016, 10:08:02 PM »

^ hard to say if it`s better than those that I´ve already read but so far I`ve liked it a lot  ;)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #955 on: February 09, 2016, 04:55:18 AM »

Black Boy
  by Richard Wright.. 1946

Having recently read Richard Wrights Native Son I thought Id give this a whirl..
Its a memoir of the authors childhood and young adulthood in Chicago

Powerful reading..

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #956 on: March 10, 2016, 12:58:41 PM »

Not bad.  Upon first hearing about this, I was "understandably curious" but then forgot about it until I'd come across it in Barnes & Noble.  After quickly perusing it, decided to borrow a copy from a local library.  I enjoyed it.  A quick read, something I could’ve read in a 24 hour period had I the time.  I noticed the events from the fifth Star Trek movie, The Final Frontier, were all but left out.  The journey to the center of the galaxy in search of God was alluded to, but the reader was informed it never happened.  Kind of funny but as all of the events in the other five films were discussed, I wish the fifth wasn't left out.  Despite that, it was an entertaining and interesting read.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:26:53 PM by Jed (Brian) Cooper » Logged

“Eyuh.”
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #957 on: March 10, 2016, 08:11:41 PM »

^ How was it cataloged by your local library? Did they have "Kirk, James T." as author? Did they give his birthdate and death date?

My library has "Kirk, James T., 2233-2371, author." Which I think is very odd.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #958 on: March 10, 2016, 08:40:11 PM »

^ How was it cataloged by your local library? Did they have "Kirk, James T." as author? Did they give his birthdate and death date?

Haha That's strange! :D I looked the book up on Amazon to see who the writer actually is. It sounds like an interesting book at any rate.
Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #959 on: March 11, 2016, 07:45:10 AM »

The author is David A. Goodman.  Why he wouldn't be listed as the author in your library is very weird.  I can't recall but am pretty sure the birthdate was provided at the beginning.  I believe the date he "died" on the Enterprise B was provided as well, but for those in the know he wound up in the Nexus, only the perish later after helping Picard save Veridian III (as seen in 1994's Star Trek: Generations).

I enjoyed reading about the origins of events heard about or mentioned during the original series, as well as the events that took place through the movie series.  I'm still confused as to why the events in The Final Frontier were omitted and would like to discover why.  Still, it was a very quick read and entertaining.  I'm now on Shatner's tribute to Nimoy, "Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship With A Remarkable Man".  After that it's off of Trek related books and on to Moby Dick.  Although...that in of itself is the theme for the best Trek films, The Wrath Of Khan and First Contact.   ;)

“Eyuh.”
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 52 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T