News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Books Read  (Read 155671 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1000 on: November 09, 2016, 12:13:49 AM »

Crikey, didn't I open a can of worms talking about some books putting me to sleep.  :D

I'm wondering if anything will put me to sleep tonight, but that's another story.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1001 on: November 09, 2016, 03:17:53 AM »

Well, maybe Christopher should have said, "There's just something inherent in the act of reading that puts me to sleep."

Perfect.  Christopher, write that one down. ;)
antonis
Member Extraordinaire

I'm afraid you have misjudged me...

View Profile Email
« Reply #1002 on: November 11, 2016, 02:10:43 AM »

O0

a MAN has got to know his public's expectations...
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1003 on: January 07, 2017, 04:43:06 PM »

Simply THE Bowie book. Havn't bothered with any others but can't put this down..

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1004 on: January 28, 2017, 02:19:27 AM »

This is Orson Welles... Orson Welles and Peter Bogdanovich

I'm going through a bit of an Orson Welles faze at the moment.. watching his movies and reading this... Very good read so far..

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1005 on: February 10, 2017, 11:05:38 AM »

The Rocking Horse Winner by D H Lawrence

I enhoyed the film recently so thought I'd read the book..

Very good..

The Rocking-Horse Winner" (1926) is one of D. H. Lawrence's most popular short stories, an Oedipal drama seasoned with a dash of social commentary and a pinch of the supernatural. It follows the short and tragic life of a boy named Paul, who thinks he has amazing luck after realizing he can predict racehorse winners by furiously riding his rocking horse until he reaches a trance-like state.

Unfortunately, as his family takes advantage his gift and starts raking in the dough, Paul's luck begins to kill him.

Literally.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1006 on: March 06, 2017, 09:33:22 PM »

Absolutely brilliant. There's more to the Boss than what we see on stage.

5/5.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1007 on: June 01, 2017, 10:02:05 AM »

UNCOMMON PEOPLE.
The rise and fall of the rock stars

by David Hepworth

1955-1994 Little Richard to Kurt Cobain

The age of the rock star, like the age of the cowboy has passed. But like the cowboy, the idea
of the rock star lives on in our imaginations

Very good read..

Jed Cooper
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

The shadows betray you, because they belong to me!

View Profile Email
« Reply #1008 on: July 30, 2017, 06:02:17 PM »

Having seen Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath documentary-series and anticipating the new season next month, I was very curious to read her book.  I found it to be very informative and interesting. I enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, molded by it.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1009 on: August 01, 2017, 12:40:40 AM »

This Ain't No Holiday Inn

Down and Out at the Chelsea Hotel 1980-1995  James Lough

The Chelsea Hotel in NY has been the home to more influential artists over the years than any other building.. included in its occupents are Mark Twain, Dylan Thomas, Jack Kerouac, William Buroughs, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Sid Viciuos... and me (for one weekend)  ;)

Lough concentrates on the latter years and builds a wonderful picture of the times and all the great characters (famous and infamous) who resided there.. He refers to the hotel as " monsterous, red brick eco-system of creativity" and weaves many unusual and fun stories of all the creative types who at one time or another resided there.. The owner often accepting art works instead of rent when the residents were too broke to pay.. many of these works were displayed in the lobby when I was there..

Sadly in 2011 the Chelsea finally sucumbed to the gentrification of New York and closed its doors to the artists, gangsters and bohemian types.
This book feels like a labour of love and a lament for times long gone. Good read.

I stayed here one long weekend some years back and thoroughly enjoyed the vibe of the hotel.. as well as sharing a coffee with our esteemed KC  :)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1010 on: August 01, 2017, 01:43:09 AM »

^ I remember it well! :)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1011 on: August 24, 2017, 11:41:21 PM »

Do No Harm
  Henry Marsh

Just read this whilst on holiday..

Henry Marsh is a top brain surgeon and here he talks about his career and lots of the operations he has undertaken including the mistakes and faliures alongside his many successes ..

Very frank and honest and sometimes funny, often very moving.. Fantastic book, I couldnt put it down..

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1012 on: October 09, 2017, 02:13:58 AM »

I've really not been seeing many movies these days, but have been consistently reading, and here are a few recent ones I read for the first time:

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I really like Philip K. Dick and I did like this one, but it's also the goofiest book of his I've read. Still, I always enjoy the way he weaves his interesting themes and obsessions into his work. Yes, the movie is way better.

Al Franken, Giant of the Senate. I like Al Franken and this is an interesting, amusing book.

Breakfast at Tiffany's. I really dislike the movie and to be honest, I only like the book a little better. The writing is good, but you've got the same obnoxious characters leading their obnoxious, self-centered lives. But short it is.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1013 on: December 03, 2017, 05:55:42 AM »

Sombrero Fallout by Richard Brautigan

A really strange, quirky little read.. Two stories melding into one. A writer gives up on writing a story and throws it in the wastepaper basket.. where it proceeds to continue writing itself..

A mix of realist absurd and whimsical.. I really enjoyed it and I'll return to it again at some point..

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

The real me

View Profile Email
« Reply #1014 on: December 03, 2017, 04:30:26 PM »

Sombrero Fallout by Richard Brautigan

A really strange, quirky little read.. Two stories melding into one. A writer gives up on writing a story and throws it in the wastepaper basket.. where it proceeds to continue writing itself..

A mix of realist absurd and whimsical.. I really enjoyed it and I'll return to it again at some point..
That does sound good.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1015 on: January 17, 2018, 02:42:27 PM »

Cromwell's Head
by Jonathan Fitzgibbons

I've been getting into reading a bit about history recently ..since I never had a history class at school.. ever.

Cromwell (1599-1658) was a brilliant military commander and political leader.

Less than three years after his death (where he had recieved a very regal funeral attended by thousands)
his corpse was dug up, executed and be headed.. launching his head on three centuries of extraordinary adventures..
This book tells the story of  this remarkable journey right up to its current (secret) resting place..  with lots of humour whilst also providing the reader with a compelling portrait of this great man..

Very enjoyable read..

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1016 on: April 20, 2018, 12:47:32 AM »

NIGHT TRAIN.. The Sonny Liston story
by Nick Tosches

Nick Tosches is such a great writer, whatever he turns his pen to..Here he tells the story of the rise and fall of heavyweight champion of the world Sonny Liston..

Liston is a much maligned figure in the history of boxing, often only mentioned as a footnote to Ali's career.. but he was so much more. Its an interesting if sometimes sad story of a guy who probably ranks in the top 5 Heavyweights of all time and deserves a little more credibility for his awesome career..

I love this  quotes from one of his opponents after Liston knocked him down and out..

"No man should ever be hit as hard as Sonny Liston hit me"

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1017 on: May 12, 2018, 12:03:29 AM »

Morrissey

Autobiography of British pop star formally singer in the band "The Smiths"

Once voted the second greatest living British icon and still a huge star around the world often playing to stadium size audiences..

I'm not a huge fan but more of an admirer.. thoroughly enjoyed this book..very well written and often quite funny.. pulls no punches..

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

His job ..... steal it.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1018 on: May 12, 2018, 12:32:31 AM »

by Graham Marsh and JP Gaul

Anyone following our trivia game about Clint's clothing will have seen that I'm quite a fan of style (not fashion) and the American  ivy (preppy) look has always been an influence..  From all thos fantastic Blue Note album covers  (miles Davis etc) through the 60's  etc and on into the 70's.. I've always been a button down shirt man..

This is a beautifully realized coffee table type book stacked with photos concentrating on the Hollywood look (mainly 60's) McQueen, Newman, Anthony Perkins.. etc..

To be honest I shied away from this book  in the past as it is pretty much a picture book and very expensive, but I managed to pick it up second hand quite cheap..(more money for clothes ;) )

Although they were all pretty much the same age I wouldn't think of Clint as belonging to this group as he came to movie fame a bit later, in the 70's when styles became a lot scruffier.. hair longer etc.. a look that suits him perfectly.. although he does get a couple of pages here..

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T