News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Books Read  (Read 205798 times)
No,namedfan

'Go ahead make my day'

View Profile Email
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2006, 01:50:58 PM »

8) Sweet title. I have nearly read Prisanor of Azkaban (adult version),  man this is dark.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

A man's got to know his limitations
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2006, 03:20:25 PM »

What's the differance between the "adult" Harry Potter books and the childrens ones? Do the kids perform in underage drinking parties? Do they smoke weed? Have promiscuous sexual relations? Or is the cover just differant so other adults won't think you're reading a kids book?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2006, 03:54:45 PM »

More likely so kids won't know you're reading a kids' book. ;)
Grizzled

View Profile Email
« Reply #163 on: April 01, 2006, 05:45:44 PM »

Absolutely amazing account of the bravery of the American soldier in Iraq. As the author puts it, explaining the impulse behind writing the book, 'Unsung the noblest deed will die.' Indeed.
No,namedfan

'Go ahead make my day'

View Profile Email
« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2006, 07:12:12 PM »

What's the differance between the "adult" Harry Potter books and the childrens ones? Do the kids perform in underage drinking parties? Do they smoke weed? Have promiscuous sexual relations? Or is the cover just differant so other adults won't think you're reading a kids book?

:( um no. They are darker and mature. And more grown up in nature. Hence adult version.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #165 on: April 01, 2006, 10:51:02 PM »

How are they darker?

"And when young Harry came upon the dragon he played cards with it and upon beating the dragon they thanked each other and Harry was granted access to the chamber."

"And when that bad ass Harry came upon that b*[email protected] dragon he was like, "Yo, Drago! I wants in that chamber my man! And if you don't let me! Well [email protected]#k this $#!t, I'm gonna bust your ass!" To which the dragon replied, "Oh no you don't! You want a piece?! Bring it on you [email protected]#ka!" And they fought and young Harry unleashed his M-16 assualt wand and proceeded to magic a cap in the dragons ass."
No,namedfan

'Go ahead make my day'

View Profile Email
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2006, 06:59:07 PM »

::) Some people never open their minds. Compare the normal editions to the adult editions and then you will see what I mean man.

Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #167 on: April 05, 2006, 05:41:25 AM »

I'm still on this London kick. Just started...

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
-satu-
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #168 on: April 05, 2006, 11:36:23 AM »

Just finished Harry Potter and The Goblet Of Fire.

It was the second time I read it. And it's so sad..  :'( :'( A good book, no other book has ever made me cry.  ;D :-[

I really enjoy reading in english, I want to buy all the Harry Potter books in english. I've already read them all in english and I'm not even considering to read them in finnish. I don't even know which character they're talking about, 'cause they have made up these stupid finnish names to some characters and places.  :(
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 11:39:57 AM by -satu- » Logged

Could anyone else have seen the beauty of it?
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2006, 11:42:09 AM »

Cool, Gant.  I have a book of London walks.  I was surprised by the history I learnt from it.  There are a lot of interesting buildings with stories that get forgotten.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #170 on: April 05, 2006, 01:20:05 PM »

Yeah Lilly.. thats what I'm into at the moment. Reading these old books that that reveal a lot of the history of some of this city's forgotten buildings and past...

allycat
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #171 on: April 05, 2006, 02:26:53 PM »

I'm trying to discover London walks! I have to make time for 'em though...

Latest book: reading To Kill A Mockingbird, that old classic, in my book group. I asked for the film for my birthday, because everyone says it lives up to the book. Can you believe I've never seen it?!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #172 on: April 13, 2006, 04:16:13 PM »

Into this one now...

Read  most of his others so thought I'd give this a try. Seemed to fit in nicely with Jack Londons "People Of The Abyss"

Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2006, 07:41:12 PM »

Wow. Did that book come with a pair of these, Gant?

;D

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2006, 06:33:59 AM »

no.. but i wish it had...  ;D

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2006, 05:59:56 PM »

::) Some people never open their minds. Compare the normal editions to the adult editions and then you will see what I mean man.

I hate to break the news to you but the text is the same, only the cover and the font is different.  I don't believe in the U.S. there are even two versions of the cover; the two versions (covers) for each book only exists in the UK.  Sorry, but you're reading children's books ... along with ten million other adults, so there's no shame to it. :)

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #176 on: May 05, 2006, 05:16:46 PM »

Looking back to see which book I last mentioned here...

I have since finished For Whom the Bells Tolls by Hemingway, and it was excellent.  The Spanish Civil War is a subject that interests me, but I think this is the first fiction I have read about it.  He seems to capture the spirit of the time and place, as one imagines it to have been, according to non-fiction literature.  During the bit when the band are hiding, waiting to see if the cavalry will come towards their camp, my heart was beating like a steam train.  He succeeds in making you believe the people are real.  Another bit that stands out is the gruesome description of the purge of the fascists in the town.  Horrible, but it probably did happen like that.

I love the title, it says it all.  I must check out more of Donne's work; those lines are so true.

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

8)

Lately I've also read The Senator: My Ten Years with Ted Kennedy, by his former aide Richard E. Burke.  It was rather more of an exposé than I had expected, and a bit too much like a kiss-and-tell tale for me to feel comfortable with.  Nevertheless, an interesting insight into some of the craziness of the Hill. :D

I'm currently well in to Steinbeck's non-fictional Travels with Charley: In Search of America.  It's very readable, and I can never resist a road story.  It's great to hear what it was like on the back roads of America in the early 60s, and Steinbeck tells it in his usual great style. O0

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #177 on: May 05, 2006, 06:40:51 PM »

I must check out more of Donne's work; those lines are so true.

I recommend his love poems!  ;)
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2006, 07:18:31 AM »

Yes, I understand they are quite racey! :D
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #179 on: July 11, 2006, 02:26:41 PM »

Just finished Truman Capotes book.. "In Cold Blood" which I found very compelling.. I havn't seen the recent film but I do remember many years ago seeing the adaption starring Robert Blake.  I guess I was quite young but I've never forgotten that movie..

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 52 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T