News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recent Books Read  (Read 202500 times)
No,namedfan

'Go ahead make my day'

View Profile Email
« Reply #180 on: July 13, 2006, 01:34:52 AM »

I reading Hideway by Dean R Koontz and Chopper by Mark Brandon Read at the moment.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

A man's got to know his limitations
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #181 on: July 13, 2006, 02:52:00 AM »

Just finished Truman Capotes book.. "In Cold Blood" which I found very compelling.. I havn't seen the recent film but I do remember many years ago seeing the adaption starring Robert Blake.  I guess I was quite young but I've never forgotten that movie..

:) Just like you, Gant, I've always found this book compelling ... and very good : the true story of those murderers, the poor family they killed, the trial ... One of the Truman Capote's book that I like to read, almost every 2 or 3 years !
I haven't watched the last movie about Capote yet, hope on dvd now ...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 03:59:45 AM by Sylvie » Logged

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #182 on: July 13, 2006, 05:40:58 AM »

Sylvie and Gant, you both should enjoy Capote, the movie, since a better title for it would have been "The Making of In Cold Blood." ;)
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #183 on: July 13, 2006, 07:03:42 AM »

:) Thanks KC, I'm sure you're right : when the movie "Capote" came out in France, I read a lot of things about this writer, how he as been fascinated by this particularly horrible murder, how things have been "linked" together between this family, the murderers.
  First time I read the book, in 1980, I was still at University, and the Litterature teacher asked us to write our thoughts, our comments : I can't remember my exact words, but I remember having written how chance is fascinating in this story, I refused to talk about "destiny" in that case ...
I did not see "Capote" , just because it stayed only a very short time on screens, in my Auvergne, so far away from Paris ! ;D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 07:28:54 AM by Sylvie » Logged

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2006, 07:08:38 AM »

This is a bit creepy.. For the 1968 movie poster they used the real killers eyes..  :-\

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2006, 07:15:12 AM »

This is a bit creepy.. For the 1968 movie poster they used the real killers eyes..  :-\

:( :-\ ...

2007 Movie journal
Hemlock
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #186 on: July 13, 2006, 10:20:52 AM »

Just finished this:

Simple enough for lazy,hot summer nights.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 02:52:44 PM by Hemlock » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #187 on: July 14, 2006, 03:31:04 AM »

Am i right in thinking you didn't think much of  "Capote" the movie KC..?

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #188 on: July 14, 2006, 06:01:22 AM »

No, I liked it, I just thought the title was misleading. It was almost entirely focused on In Cold Blood, and Capote's life did include a lot more than that. But it was well done, and well acted ... not only by Philip Seymour Hoffman, but by the whole cast,  especially Clifton Collins Jr, who was absolutely chilling as Perry Smith. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 06:04:32 AM by KC » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #189 on: July 14, 2006, 02:28:46 PM »

Now I've read the book I'll rent the movie..

I'm off to Finland for a few days next week and need a new book for the trip. Anyone got any suggestions.. ?

No,namedfan

'Go ahead make my day'

View Profile Email
« Reply #190 on: July 16, 2006, 01:56:22 AM »

Night in the lonesome October by Richard Laymon. Fast paced well written and creepy as hell. An amazing read by a great author.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #191 on: July 16, 2006, 08:10:04 AM »

Night in the lonesome October by Richard Laymon.

Sounds like one for me.   I like creepy books!!!!

I have just read Thornyhold by Mary Stewart and was disappointed.  I enjoyed her Merlin trilogy The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills & The Last Enchantment, but this one leaves you feeling there should have been more to it, almost like a rushed job that she just wanted to get something written to a deadline.

I read This Rough Magic,  Wildfire At Midnight, Touch Not The Cat and The Moonspinners all by Mary Stewart in the last few months and loved them all.  They are spooky novels and touch on the occult but so well written where Thornyhold came from I can't imagine.   It reads as if written by a different author.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #192 on: July 16, 2006, 11:58:37 AM »

Someone has recommended I read Labyrinth by Kate Mosse.

Any of you guys read it... ?

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2006, 01:46:01 PM »

Night in the lonesome October by Richard Laymon. Fast paced well written and creepy as hell. An amazing read by a great author.
A fellow Laymon fan! :D :) I've been wanting to read After Midnight, the most recent Laymon novel I bought.

Have you read One Rainy Night, No,namedfan? That's one of my favorites.
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2006, 02:56:49 PM »

Now I've read the book I'll rent the movie..

I'm off to Finland for a few days next week and need a new book for the trip. Anyone got any suggestions.. ?
don't look at me, i've been stuck babysitting  this week, all i've read is barney goes to bed and spot the loveable dog  :D

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
No,namedfan

'Go ahead make my day'

View Profile Email
« Reply #195 on: July 16, 2006, 05:48:56 PM »

A fellow Laymon fan! :D :) I've been wanting to read After Midnight, the most recent Laymon novel I bought.

Have you read One Rainy Night, No,namedfan? That's one of my favorites.

Yes I have readit along with  all of his published works along with Stephen King. NITLO is my favorite Laymon book behind Island. One rainy night us a great read though very well done in terms of suspense.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #196 on: July 16, 2006, 06:10:48 PM »

You've read all his stuff? Cool. I've only read around 13 or 14 of his novels. Island was one of those, too, and yes, that one is great. I loved the ending.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2006, 12:29:45 AM »

don't look at me, i've been stuck babysitting  this week, all i've read is barney goes to bed and spot the loveable dog  :D

Well little_bill your education is now complete.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

I must admit to reading a number of books for children.  Some of them are brilliant.  There is a series by Susan Cooper called The Dark Is Rising.  Fantasy stories that encapsulate tales of Merlin and King Arthur in which a young boy is able to perform amazing feats of magic and time travel but written well before J K Rowling was published.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 06:21:31 AM by Lin. » Logged
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2006, 05:51:40 AM »

Well little_bill your education is now complete.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

almost, i saved the bear in the big blue house books for tonight, as bear is her favourite.

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
No,namedfan

'Go ahead make my day'

View Profile Email
« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2006, 06:31:58 AM »

You've read all his stuff? Cool. I've only read around 13 or 14 of his novels. Island was one of those, too, and yes, that one is great. I loved the ending.
Nice one. what do you think of the beast house trilogy.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 52 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T