News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pale Rider and the Mormon Danites  (Read 5820 times)
harley

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« on: January 07, 2006, 05:57:56 AM »

I was told that Clint's character in this movie was a mormon danite hitman, anybody got a answer? :P
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 11:01:30 AM by KC » Logged
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 07:37:18 AM »

I wouldn't say he's a hitman. He's not a profassional killer. He wasn't "hired" by anybody. There's a mystical quality about him. If your remember the beginning of the movie, it looks like he's coming from nowhere...he hasn't got a name, no known home, no known family...this guy's a ghost.

There certainly are references to the Bible in the movie, but I never heard of him as a mormon danite.

"I ended up making the role a little more supernatural than it had been written, getting into parallels with the Bible [...] They came up with the conflict between the independent miners and the big corporation [...] When they brought my character in, the preacher, I felt he needed a prior relationship with an antagonist, the Marshal. That would give the Pale Rider an added dimension. It also tied with the image of the horseman of the apocalypse. I'm not a biblical scholar, but I've always been fascinated by the mythology of those biblical stories and how they relate to the mythology of the Western."
Clint Eastwood/Malpaso, Fuensanta Plaza p.158

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 07:45:26 AM »

You may want to take a look at these two threads

Preacher in "Pale Rider"

Pale Rider and High Plains Drifter

:)

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 07:49:19 AM »

a ghost ?
Death ?
an Avenging Angel ? ....

Pick one  ;)

Keywaydin

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 07:58:20 AM »

Mormon Danite? What is that ? Joe Smith lost forever? >:D

The preacher and his bible. Didn`t see no extra books.

what the hell?
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 12:08:07 PM »

I was told that Clint's character in this movie was a mormon danite hitman, anybody got a answer? :P

As AB suggests, "hitman" might not be quite the right term here.  But I can believe that he sold his services as a killer in whatever previous life he led.  AB's right, he wasn't hired by anybody during the movie, but he did perform a "job" on behalf of the mining community; he just didn't get paid.

I've never heard the Mormon Danite idea either, and I don't believe there is any evidence in the film to support that.  The readings were from the Bible, not the Book of Mormon, but the Bible is also one of the sacred texts of Mormonism, so that doesn't prove anything.

Mormon Danite? What is that ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danite

The Danites were a fraternal organization founded by Latter Day Saints in June of 1838, at Far West in Caldwell County, Missouri. During their brief period of formal organization in Missouri, the Danites operated as a vigilante group and took a central role in the events of the Mormon War. The exact nature and scope of the organization, and its connection to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is a matter of some dispute among historians.

I don't know in what year Pale Rider is set (anybody?), but it must be some time after 1838.  In THIS thread, KC tells us:
The large revolver carried by Preacher is  a Remington New Model Army ... a .44 cal. percussion revolver that was in production from 1863 to 1875.

So, if he had been a Danite, it was some years before.

I don't know enough about the subject to offer much insight, and maybe I'm unaware of some evidence in the film, but I would guess that someone aware of the Danites' reputation as vigilantes saw a gun-toting man of religion, and put two-and-two together to make five.
Keywaydin

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 07:06:31 PM »

<a href="http://" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://</a>
The question was the preacher a Mormon Danite a hitman? seems rhetorical.    His Bible was his weapon.   

Mormon founder Joseph Smith wasn`t  a gunman and he was more interested in copper than defending mines and cooperations.  (ok  ok   )

The Apocalypse rider on the pale horse does represent death  but really only to the bad guy.

I`m sorry I`m not much of a buff but I enjoy a good forum.

what the hell?
harley

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 04:11:27 AM »

I heard that the hat Clint wore in this movie was a danite hitman hat, and the revolver he used was a 1858 remington.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 11:03:37 AM »

Harley, who "told" you that Eastwood's character was a Mormon Danite "hitman," and where did you "hear" that his hat was a "Danite hitman hat"?

I've changed the title of this thread to make it more descriptive.
harley

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 05:37:02 PM »

KC, a western hat maker told me about the history of the hat that Clint wore in the movie.....thats why I was asking if anybody had heard of that. As far as the hatmaker being right about it I don't know ::)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T