News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »

Poll

Is the film any good?

Absolutely!
16 (84.2%)
Not to shabby
1 (5.3%)
Is what it is
1 (5.3%)
Only if you never seen it
1 (5.3%)
Horrid
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bronco Billy  (Read 3379 times)
hitmbig

View Profile Email
« on: January 08, 2006, 02:46:16 AM »

Since I have recently decided to collect all of Clint's films on DVD and have not seen and or fully seen several of his least known films I thought I would start a poll on some.

Walt
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 04:20:45 AM »

It's a great movie . In my opinion his best comedy , by a mile .
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 04:51:57 AM »

By no means my favourite Clint movie.   It is there in my collection of all Clint's movies but one I watch very infrequently.    Could be the plot, Sondra Locke or even the comedy.  I just don't rate it so voted it as "Is what it is". :)
Holden Pike
Member Extraordinaire

"If they move, kill 'em."

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 08:40:59 AM »

Bronco Billy is one of Clint's most gentle and charming films. In addition to liking Clint and the character of Bronco Billy himself, I love the entire ensemble of his Wild West Show: Scatman Crothers, Bill McKinney (about a zillion miles from his roles in Deliverance and The Outlaw Josey Wales), Sam Bottoms, Dan Vadis, Sierra Pecheur and good ol' Geoffrey Lewis. I know it can be difficult to watch Sondra and forget whatever you know about the way her and Clint's off-screen relationship ended, but I think she's just fine in Bronco Billy, and not a detraction at all.

Bronco Billy is fun and funny and sweet and I enjoy the main themes of a man out of step with the times but hanging on to bygone ideals and of a community of friends sticking together.

So yes, I recommend this one. I don't think it'll be sitting on your shelf just for the sake of having Eastwood's entire filmography, but that you'll actually enjoy it and watch it fondly. On the other hand, if you ask about Pink Cadillac....

"We're not gonna get rid of anybody. We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be. When you side with a man you stay with him, and if you can't do that you're like some animal, you're finished. We're all finished."
Agent
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 09:04:57 AM »

I have to agree - I think BB is a nice, heartwarming film. Maybe you have to be a Seppo to appreciate and understand it, I don't know. But it's one of his lighter films I really enjoy. I kind of wonder if Locke never had a bad falling out with Clint, that folks would have higher opinion of her, especially concerning his films. I don't think she was the greatest actress, and won't get into her personal life, but she certainly seemed to play her parts very well, I thought.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it." - Clint Eastwood
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 09:08:19 AM »

It's one of my favorite Eastwood films.

Bronco Billy is fun and funny and sweet and I enjoy the main themes of a man out of step with the times but hanging on to bygone ideals and of a community of friends sticking together.

And that's why I love it so much.

I also agree with Agent and Holden that Sondra Locke is very good in this movie--it's probably my favorite of her co-starring roles.

Bronco Billy isn't a Western, so I'm moving this thread to the "General Discussion" forum.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 10:49:04 AM »

I love this movie.
To be honest with you, I wasn't too excited about it the first time I saw it, but then I learned to appreciate it.

Bronco Billy is one of Clint's most gentle and charming films [...] Bronco Billy is fun and funny and sweet
Absolutely. Sweet, charming and funny. That's exactly why I rank it amongst my favorite Eastwood movies.

I was drawn to the story mainly because of its moral, which is to never give up your dreams.

Besides, all the characters are attaching in their own way.

I also have to agree with Holden, Agent and Matt that Sondra Locke delivered one of her best performances -which, after her part in The Gauntlet, remains my favorite of her co-starring roles. I think she did very good in Bronco Billy.

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Sylvie
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 01:43:33 AM »

Just like AB, I love this Clint Eastwood movie !

It's the one I often watch with my children, they like it so much ... Geoffrey Lewis is hilarious in it , and I've always liked the plot, the mood of the movie, the music , well one of my favorite !
As for Sondra Locke, I don't know if it's her best part , ( I personnaly find her good in "Sudden Impact" too ) ... my husband always laughs at me, saying : "Ah ! you're jealous !" 

"If she looks back, that means she's interested . Come on now, give me a little look. One little glance back..."

2007 Movie journal
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 04:08:53 AM »

This is what I posted back in July after watching Bronco Billy again.(saved me from typing it out again)

I never really rated Bronco Billy when I'd seen it in the past,but after seeing it again today it really is a good film,and good "family" entertainment.I don't think there was any bad language or objectionable material in the whole film.It shows how these people are there for each other through the good times and bad.It feels like their one big happy family travelling the country even though they seem to be only just scraping by,just to bring smiles on the faces of the kids.The cast was great,I love Scatman Crothers at the beginning of the film when he starts he big announcement for tonight's show,screaming at the top of his voice even though there looks to be only about 40 people in the audience.
The way Clint's always telling the kids to stay in school and not to lie and say your prayers at night,may sound corny to us adults but to an 8 or 9 year old it might get through.
I didn't mind Sondra Locke in this.The cold blooded viper as Geoffrey Lewis's character called her,she played the part well.
Overall a better film than I remember and as I said a  great "Family" film,which is very hard to find these days.

When I say "family" film,I mean an Eastwood Family Film.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 04:12:04 AM by tgy » Logged

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
harley

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 04:32:33 AM »

One of my favorite Clint movies of all time. Of course I say that about all of Clint's movies. ;D
hitmbig

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 12:34:51 AM »

I will rent it from Netflix and give it a whirl. Thanks for the input O0

Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 03:48:49 PM »

I watched Bronco Billy last year on vacation for the first time in maybe 20 years and I actually finally  got to appreciate it after all these years. The only negative thing about is Sondra Locke and her lame performance, but IF you think about it it's a nice movie that  Frank Capra certainly would have done in the 40's...
mary mary

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 04:34:33 PM »

The film is an absolute charmer. No doubt about it.
Clint's performance and perhaps more importantly his ability to make light of his screen image is a delight to observe. Sondra Locke performance for me tends to verge towards the "slightly annoying"  Geoff Lewis is incredibly funny, and Billy's band of misfit performers are played perfectly. A real winner. O0
philamopolis

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 10:21:20 PM »

Bronco Billy isn't a movie in Clint's filmography that will be remembered much, as well many others that he did especially from the 1980's, movies like Honkeytonk Man. Bronco is what Clint said a movie that Frank Capra would have done if he was still directing movies at that point, which is very cool in my opinion. I mean every actor/director all have their favorites and they all want to pay some kind of homage to their favorites or hero's if you will so this was Clint's Capra film.

I commend him making it, its one of his more favorite movies he's done. They don't make movies like this anymore and I recommend it ;)
harley

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 03:42:57 AM »

right on Mary Mary!!!!!!! ;D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T