News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dirty Harry/Magnum Force screenplays  (Read 3947 times)
badguy

View Profile Email
« on: March 01, 2003, 09:19:40 AM »

A friend of mine recently got hold of the Dirty Harry and Magnum Force screenplays, are they rare/worth a lot or can you get hold of them easily?
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 09:26:12 AM »

If they are original typescripts they might be worth quite a lot, especially if they were once the property of anyone in the cast or crew and signed or otherwise annoated by their former owners.

However, Xerox reproductions of these typescripts are circulated fairly freely and generally sell for around $10-$15 apiece.
badguy

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2003, 09:42:45 AM »

Thanks KC.
How can you tell if they are original copies though? Is there a particular stamp or mark to look for or something like that?
I know for sure they are not signed, but maybe I'll ask to have a closer look at them...
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2003, 10:06:40 AM »

For one thing, original scripts usually have fairly sturdy colored paper covers, not just the same paper as the rest of the script. The covers may be stamped in some way. They may contain sections on colored paper (indicating late changes to the draft).

Look at the paper and the text. These movies came out thirty years ago. If it looks like a brand new Xerox copy, it probably is.

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 08:59:43 AM »

I found this topic about the Dirty Harry script. I'm not interested in an original script or anything, but I would like to read it. Amazon has a few apparently, but I noticed some scripts are available in their entirety online for free. Anybody know if that's the case with Dirty Harry?
Perry
Member Extraordinaire

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 02:54:25 PM »

I would not even know which would be the 'original script' considering the fact so many people worked on versions of Dirty Harry and especially Magnum Force. MF originally if I'm correct was a John Milius script and then you had Cimino involved and Milius wasn't even happy with the film version's final story. DH even had Terrence Malick involved at one point. When Sinatra was involved it was a totally different script before he bowed out. Milius didn't even get a writing credit for DH though Dean Riesner did. There has to be a few versions floating around.....
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 12:31:27 AM »

I was going to post here a while back but I kept getting distracted. Yes, scripts are often available online for free, but they are usually dialogue transcriptions from the finished film, as opposed to a screenplay that was used in creating the film. They will lack scene information, stage directions and usually character names, too. Here's a sample I found by searching "Dirty Harry script":

Jesus!

"To the city of San Francisco.

"I will enjoy killing

one person every day...

"...until you pay me

one hundred thousand dollars.

"lf you agree,

say so tomorrow morning...

"...at personal column,

San Francisco Chronicle...

"...and I will set up meeting.

"lf I do not hear from you...

"...it'll be my next pleasure

to kill a Catholic priest or a....

"...Scorpio."

What goes on in their minds?

Kooks.

Where the hell does he expect me to

find a hundred thousand dollars?

You're not thinking of paying him,

are you, Mr. Mayor?

The City of San Francisco does not

pay criminals not to commit crimes.

Instead, we pay a police department.

Chief, who's in charge of this case?

Inspector Callahan. He's outside.

Send lnspector Callahan in.

Callahan?

Mr. Mayor, lnspector Callahan.

All right.

Let's have it.

-What?

-Your report. What have you done?

For the past 3/4 hour...

...I've been sitting in your

outer office waiting on you.

Damn it, Harry.

It's the mayor you're talking to.

Won't you sit down, lnspector Callahan?

Besides what I've already mentioned, sharp eyes will note that there are three words missing between "I've been sitting" and "in your outer office."

I'm not giving the link because these things are surely in violation of copyright rules, despite the precautions taken. But it's not hard to find them.

Christopher, I suspect you would be more interested in an original script, or rather in a copy of one. As Perry mentioned, the story is rather complicated in the case of the first two "Dirty Harry" films, and there is more than one version available. They turn up occasionally on eBay and the usual online bookseller sites. Or you might try your library/Interlibrary Loan. Here's one I found in WorldCat (screenplay credited to H J Fink and Dean Riesner): http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/18719470
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 12:39:38 AM by KC » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 07:12:32 AM »

By original I meant I wasn't looking for one that was originally used in the production. A finished screenplay, yes. I've seen some online like the one you quote from, KC, and that wouldn't be very fun to read. I have found some completed screenplays that are PDFs online (or some that are just on the webpage but better formatted than what's quoted above).
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T