News: Coming in 2021: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENDLESS, POINTLESS thread  (Read 926127 times)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5540 on: January 02, 2020, 05:53:55 PM »

I watched over 200. :-[

:D ;D
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5541 on: January 02, 2020, 05:59:54 PM »

Movies are life.  ;)  It's only about two movies a week -- not really that much, imo.

But, Matt, that DOESN'T include the countless hours I spent streaming TV shows on Netflix or Amazon Prime or the untold number of hours I spent watching the news every day! Shouldn't life be about more than that? :o
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5542 on: January 03, 2020, 01:38:53 AM »

Yeah, movies are life ... it's life that needs to get a movie. ;)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5543 on: January 03, 2020, 09:02:07 AM »

But, Matt, that DOESN'T include the countless hours I spent streaming TV shows on Netflix or Amazon Prime or the untold number of hours I spent watching the news every day! Shouldn't life be about more than that? :o

I was thinking of how I wanted to answer this, and realized it was going to be something that might belong in a political forum, because a lot of the reason people spend more time at home is because there's less disposable income than there used to be, so less to frivolously spend going out to meet up with friends, drink, eat avocado toast, etc. Even if you're able to do so, friends may not be able to. So a lot of why so many stay indoors now really may be economy related. But, that's just one reason. There are a lot of other factors. Social media makes us less social. Then there's the lack of tolerance of other viewpoints when it comes to political discourse, which increases depression and isolation. It plays havoc on real world friendships too. I have a half brother who posted one of the most divisive anti-Trump posts I've ever seen on social media, and he lost a lot of friendships over it. His post basically said if you like Trump, unfriend me now (with some flowery language that had no place here or there). Just a purity test hate post. With this type of political climate, is it any wonder we find ourselves spending more time watching Mad Men, The Office, etc. We lose ourselves in a time where things were better, people communicated "IRL" and even murder documentaries are still a welcome escape from where we are today: there's sense and reasoning behind it. I know I spend a lot of time shaking my head and just walking away from discussions with people because their viewpoints and reasoning are just so impossible to wrap my head around. It seems a waste of time to even discuss the issues since we'll never change our viewpoint or come around to the other's line of thinking. There's just too much anger now too, and I'm not even sure this has anything to do with your original post!  ;D  So.... getting back to that....

I just looked up the stat for average TV usage (including livestream videos on phones/tablets etc) in the US, and it's just about 6 hours a day. It sounds like about what you're reporting. https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/31/u-s-adults-now-spend-nearly-6-hours-per-day-watching-video/

And now.. back to your regularly scheduled programming...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 12:32:34 PM by Matt » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5544 on: January 03, 2020, 10:11:02 AM »

There seems to be so much choice out there in tv (streaming) land but I find I can only take so many hours
Before I start to feel restless. I guess I'm from a generation that used to go out a lot. We only had three tv channels
back then and a lot of it was sub par....  I'm a social animal tho I guess I average maybe two movies a week and maybe 2 cinema visits a month..
I enjoy tv series and movies but I still go out quite a lot with freinds for drinks or meals. I still enjoy live music
and I'm lucky enough to have a job that involves a decent amount of travel.. I just feel like I'm going a bit stale staying
in and watching the box for too long...

As regards political debate I do my best to avoid it, especially on line. I read a lot of things I strongly disagree with
and often from people I have huge respect for. It's so easy to fall out over stuff and life's too short. I do call
people out occasionally if it's something I really can't abide but generally avoid..
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:13:09 AM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5545 on: January 03, 2020, 10:19:38 AM »

I, too, try to get out more and do more things with real people than staying in and watching TV/movies. I think when you get older, you start thinking about what time you have left, and how you want to spend it. I posted here recently about my father passing away in November, and he was about thirty years older than me. So it's easy to be hit in the face with the fact that I have only about thirty more years, and how many of them will be good ones? I forced myself out of my comfort zone to do the New Year's Eve bash in Nashville instead of staying in. I've been trying to spend less time online, less time discussing politics and films online, and more time out in the world discussing with real people. It's not the easy or lazy way to go through a day, especially if you consider yourself an introvert (which I am, but you may not think so). But, life is really short. The more time we spend out in the world doing what we love, with people we love, the better.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5546 on: January 03, 2020, 05:34:21 PM »

This has definitely been an edifying conversation so far. You guys are totally fine with me wasting my life away watching tons of movies, TV shows, and other media. Got it!  ;)

Matt, I think that there are a lot of free ways to socialize, so even if you don't have much money, or your friends don't, there are still opportunities to get together. You could go to a museum, which are often free. You could meet up in a coffee shop and spend a few dollars for a coffee, or go to the park, or the beach. I think this may be more true in cases where your dominant peer group may make a lot more money than you do, which could create an imbalance that creates embarrassment or guilt when you don't have the same resources to spend on going out, eating, drinking, etc. But, most people tend to congregate around people that are demographically similar to them rather than wildly different.

I think social media as a tool is a very mixed blessing. It definitely does make it easier to connect, and likely increases the number of connections that many Americans are able to have, but there's a ton of emerging research that there are very significant harms as a well, especially for young people. There is definitely a correlation between increased social media use and things like depression, anxiety, behavioral health issues, other mental health issues, and most terrifyingly, suicide. Even for adults, I think it definitely encourages an unhealthy level of social comparison. Research also supports that more social media use for many does tend to promote isolation and loneliness. Political polarization is also a factor, but I think loneliness is a much bigger one, and there are a lot of other drivers of that that are not political. I always take opportunities to talk to people that think differently than I do as a way to learn why others think and act in the ways that they do, but most people aren't able to do that.

I also think that in other countries people typically value quality of life more than we do in the United States, so the quality of our relationships often suffers as a result. Culturally, we place a lot of emphasis on making money and being successful economically, and that generally has a cost to it that is often underappreciated in the United States. I have a lot of family in London, which you would think would be close to the United States on these measures, but people have a much higher quality of life even there than they do in the United States. They spend a lot more time traveling, taking time off from work, and socializing than the average person does here, and that's true in most developed nations, across all income levels. When you don't have rich relationships with others, watching unhealthy amounts of TV to fill the hole that that often creates is very easy to do. We can't all be super healthy like KC and run in Central Park every day when we aren't socializing with others or relaxing/working at the library!  :laugh:
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #5547 on: January 03, 2020, 07:18:36 PM »

If you look at my movie journals over the years you'll see a dramatic decrease since I got married. Or actually from when I met my wife.

2005 - 2012, I probably averaged close to 200 films a year. Mainly from cable TV. I hardly went to the cinema at all but since 2013, I go to the cinema more (not as much as Christopher though ;) ) but don't watch much from TV. I no longer have cable TV, it just wasn't worth the $100 a month since I wasn't watching it.

I have jumped on the streaming bandwagon in the last couple of years but can never understand these people that watch an entire series in a couple of days. No matter how good a show is, I get bored after a couple of episodes and come back sporadically.

Christopher and I were talking a couple of weeks back that he watched four films in one day. I used to do that back when I was single. A lot of them were 1930s and 40's on TCM cable so less than 90 mins in length. I just don't have the time to do that now and would rather spend the time creating memories with my wife and nieces and nephews.

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5548 on: January 04, 2020, 01:16:21 AM »

When I lived alone in London I used to enjoy going to the cinema a lot during the day when the theatres were practically empty
and tickets were half price. I mainly worked nights back then so daytime was my free time. I saw so many films this way including older movies on re release at art house cinemas... That was many years ago and I became far too busy as life took over
My watching now is mainly just confined to a couple of hours late evening so my viewing time is far more limited..
Having Said that, this weekend I went to a mid day showing of Jo Jo Rabbit and thoroughly enjoyed it. The old
thrill was back again.... Empty cinema etc. With my children grown up and gone to university maybe I'll get to resume this old habit once again...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:01:09 AM by Gant » Logged

Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5549 on: January 04, 2020, 02:25:51 PM »

Interesting discussion here. O0  Like SK mentioned, things change in peoples' lives. I make it to the theater quite a bit now, but that wasn't always the case. If you look at the early years of our movie journals, you'll see I didn't go to the theater all as much. A new theater was built nearby, and they started showing movies earlier in the day, and this was around the same time that I had more time during the day... so I started going to matinees. If I had a regular job, I wouldn't go as much.

I looked at a few random years for my movie journals, and see that I tend to watch over 100 movies a year--like well over, but not always closer to 200. But if I do get a regular job at some point, or if I ever get anything going on the romantic front, I would imagine those things could change.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5550 on: January 05, 2020, 11:12:12 AM »

It makes a lot of sense that those who have families or very rich social lives would watch fewer movies, and that the number of movies viewed might ebb and flow over the years. But, why is this the chosen outlet which seems to be the default for many others ? There are a lot of other ways to spend one's time which are arguably more productive and life-enriching.

To add another interesting data point to this conversation, during the same time period, I read 31 books, 19 of which were non-fiction, so I wasn't a total slacker! ;)
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5551 on: January 05, 2020, 01:48:09 PM »

I like to read as well. I keep a reading journal too, but I forget off the top of my head how many books I read last year.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5552 on: January 05, 2020, 02:30:58 PM »

I still love reading, always have.

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5553 on: February 02, 2020, 12:02:05 AM »

Anyone notice the date today?

02-02-2020! 

I thought I would be the only one to notice this, but nooooooooooo ... https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/02/01/sunday-february-2-2020-rare-palindrome-02-02-2020/4633400002/

Posting this at 0202 hours, EST.

Let's see if I can edit it at 02:22:20 ...

« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 12:22:20 AM by KC » Logged
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5554 on: March 14, 2020, 01:29:35 AM »

I don't often do this..... But

If you get a spare minute there's a short promo clip on youtube for my new single (do we still call them that ?)
It's a real pleasure working for this gal and it's her first release..

Just search for "On Golgotha"  by Sister Cookie and maybe give it a like if you feel so inclined ;)

Cheers..

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5555 on: March 14, 2020, 07:51:15 AM »

^ Nice! The drums sound great. 8)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5556 on: March 14, 2020, 08:16:32 PM »

I think Sister Cookie's video (with Gant on drums) is worthy of embedding here:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wIQQ30lbbgo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wIQQ30lbbgo</a>

8)
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5557 on: March 15, 2020, 10:13:25 AM »

Awwww  thanks KC. I appreciate it :)

Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #5558 on: March 17, 2020, 12:35:47 AM »

Sounds really good. Gant, are you Bobby Hellfire?

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5559 on: March 17, 2020, 03:36:33 PM »

Thanks Doug.... Looks that way  ;D

Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T