News: Watch Clint Eastwood's RICHARD JEWELL, now available streaming and on Blu-ray and DVD!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE ENDLESS, POINTLESS thread  (Read 792683 times)
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #5560 on: March 20, 2020, 01:54:53 AM »

I like to write. I published my latest book earlier this month, and it's called The Followee. My writing tends to blend fantasy and realism, but this one is sort of a fantasy with no fantasy and no magic, and it was definitely influenced by the past few years. After the fact I realize it may have been my way of working through certain fears and concerns, and in that sense it's probably a little dark, but it has a lot of humor, even if it's on the dry side. It started with the premise of a man being contacted by federal agents for no known reason. I saw it as kind of a Kafkaesque idea, that of course becomes very much my own. So in case anyone cares, here's the link to it on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Followee-Doug-Hatley-ebook/dp/B085LFPL4D/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=the+followee+doug+hatley&link_code=qs&qid=1584694313&sr=8-1

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #5561 on: March 31, 2020, 12:50:25 PM »

How many books have you written Doug?   8)

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5562 on: March 31, 2020, 02:47:56 PM »

Doug, I had no idea that you were a published author. That is fantastic! Well done, my friend. What are your other books about? Who are your literary influences? Do you draw from people like Jorge Luis Borges in your work?
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5563 on: April 01, 2020, 08:05:25 PM »

Doug, I had no idea that you were a published author. That is fantastic! Well done, my friend. What are your other books about? Who are your literary influences? Do you draw from people like Jorge Luis Borges in your work?

Thank you, but let's be super, super clear, I've self-published these books. I had given up on writing novels and then I was part-time back in 2015 for 3 years, and I ran across Createspace with Amazon and I thought I'd put poetry up. Then I thought I had a novella that was maybe 85% there and I rewrote it and I feel like I finally found my voice and was by and large happy with a long work of mine for the first time ever. So I moved on to another old novel and rewrote that, cutting out 15,000 words, and was happy with it. So I never really put the effort there to send these to publishers. Unfortunately I'm really terrible at self-promotion and maybe I'm fearful of rejection. I think my stuff is up to a professional level, without the support a professional writer would have, but I unfortunately don't work in a genre that is easily marketed.

Anyhow I have four novels. Caput Mortem was the novella I mentioned. It's a comedy about a couple brothers who run a shop that has a ghost in it. CrossWinds is a coming-of-age romance fantasy. Blast of Fire (the title taken from the movie Blast of Silence) is a "fantasy noir" set in Vegas. It's not one of those silly fantasies where characters in the modern age are speaking like hard-boiled characters. And finally The Followee. Plus two short books of poetry and shorts, and a few short stories.

If anyone is interested I can set the kindle price to free for limited periods, if anyone wants to check them out. How about I make everything free this coming Saturday April 4. You don't need a kindle device to read them, you can use your computer and the right program. If you miss that day and would like to look at these, let me know. I won't ask you to give me feedback or anything. That would be up to you, if you wanted.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5564 on: April 01, 2020, 08:09:28 PM »

Who are your literary influences? Do you draw from people like Jorge Luis Borges in your work?

I've heard of Jorge Luis Borges, but I've never read him. Looking him up, I think he looks pretty interesting. I do like Gabriel Garcia Marquez, a very well known author of magic realism. One Hundred Years of Solitude is fantastic, if you have the patience. But they're all a bit more "literary" than I am, for sure. The contemporary fantasy writer Lisa Goldstein really influenced me way back in the day, especially her books The Dream Years and A Mask for the General.

Have you read Jorge Luis Borges and have a recommendation?

AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5565 on: April 07, 2020, 05:50:41 PM »

I've heard of Jorge Luis Borges, but I've never read him. Looking him up, I think he looks pretty interesting. I do like Gabriel Garcia Marquez, a very well known author of magic realism. One Hundred Years of Solitude is fantastic, if you have the patience. But they're all a bit more "literary" than I am, for sure. The contemporary fantasy writer Lisa Goldstein really influenced me way back in the day, especially her books The Dream Years and A Mask for the General.

Have you read Jorge Luis Borges and have a recommendation?

My favorite short story is "The House of Asterion." One of his more popular collections is Labryinth. I'd start with that. He's also a pretty famous exemplar of magical realism, so I think you'd like his work.
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5566 on: May 24, 2020, 11:26:46 PM »

Ex-NASA engineer finds way to keep busy during COVID19 in entertaining way. Watch for all you wanted to know about squirrels and more...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hFZFjoX2cGg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hFZFjoX2cGg</a>
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5567 on: May 25, 2020, 08:00:19 AM »

;D That video is awesome!
Xichado
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5568 on: September 13, 2020, 06:11:54 AM »

One day last week, as I was leaving a job in an East London Hospital, I realised some people are placing masks on their car as well  :uglystupid2:

"I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." Carl Sandburg
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5569 on: September 13, 2020, 12:19:38 PM »

Face masks for conjoined twins! Who knew this was a thing?  ;D
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5570 on: September 14, 2020, 06:00:21 PM »

You went there! I was thinking the same thing but didn't quite dare! :D
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5571 on: September 14, 2020, 06:06:47 PM »

I saw a clip from The Beverly Hillbillies recently where it was referred to as a double-barrel slingshot. ;D :D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5572 on: September 14, 2020, 07:39:29 PM »

You went there! I was thinking the same thing but didn't quite dare! :D

If it was any other thread but this one, I probably wouldn't have. This is tame ... for this thread.  ;)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5573 on: September 14, 2020, 07:49:21 PM »

That's right! I had forgotten all about the flummary of the thread's early days! ;D
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5574 on: November 16, 2020, 07:08:37 PM »

I can't believe this "new board" has been around for 18 years now!  :o
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5575 on: November 16, 2020, 07:17:08 PM »

And this thread has been around ... since 06-26-2001! Coming up on its vigentennial! :D
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5576 on: November 18, 2020, 04:48:25 PM »

:o

And I still think of it as the new board.
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T