News: See SULLY, starring Tom Hanks, now streaming and on DVD and Blu-ray!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: tightrope [font used in credits]  (Read 6123 times)
jjdowney

View Profile Email
« on: January 31, 2006, 12:49:33 PM »

Hello Clint  eastwood fans and I though I was the only one... ;D

But my question is...in the opening titles of the film TIGHTROPE what is font used for the "TIGHTROPE" logo and what is the name of the font used for the rest of the opening tiles...starring, producers and the whole crew...
if anyone can identify this font please post as would like to track it down or obtain it. If a picture needs to be emailed for anyone to look at or for more clarity or memory jogging I'll be please to assist. ;D

John.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 01:16:52 AM by KC » Logged
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 09:24:39 PM »

Hi jj, you are not alone! :)

I like that font too.  Very 80s. 8)

I don't know its name, or even if that exact font is available.  There are several pretty good font websites where you could probably get something very similar, if not exactly the same.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 01:31:15 AM »

Hi, jjdowney ... you mean this?

As with most of Eastwood's pictures, the titles for Tightrope were created especially for the picture by Pacific Title, the venerable firm founded in 1919. (You'll see their name towards the end of the final credits.)

I would doubt that it's a commercially available font. You might try contacting the firm for more information. (No guarantees.) Or follow Lilly's advice, and try to find something similar on a font site.

I edited your thread title to make it more descriptive. I hope you don't mind. And welcome to the Eastwood Web Board.  :)
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 07:43:16 AM »

Or follow Lilly's advice, and try to find something similar on a font site.one
How about this?

That's the closest I could find  :-\

First font type is called Hendel Gothic D Bold -letters should be a little more rounded, especially the W and N, but it's still pretty close to the original font.
Also the A is different.

Second font type is called Hallock Italic. E, P and R are slightly different, more rounded than in Tightrope credits.

The Font Pool

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 01:38:22 PM »

Those are some nice looking fonts. I may have to download those, thanks Lilly and AB.  O0
jjdowney

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 02:09:55 PM »

Hi, jjdowney ... you mean this?

As with most of Eastwood's pictures, the titles for Tightrope were created especially for the picture by Pacific Title, the venerable firm founded in 1919. (You'll see their name towards the end of the final credits.)

I would doubt that it's a commercially available font. You might try contacting the firm for more information. (No guarantees.) Or follow Lilly's advice, and try to find something similar on a font site.

I edited your thread title to make it more descriptive. I hope you don't mind. And welcome to the Eastwood Web Board.  :)

I can't remember exactly what I said anyway. But this version is better...and if its gets help I cannot complain. ;)

Does anyone have contact details for PACFIC WESTERN as I would like to contact them myself. So if either contact info and web directions would of great help.

Thanks for replies and I though one was gonna post on this topic as it was my first topic on these baords. As in the UK there has been clint eastwood collection which is near ending. And it introduced me to more of the films he done which is one of the bonuses.

How can images be included in a post? can someone explain...?
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 03:23:54 PM »

How can images be included in a post? can someone explain...?

How to post an image on the Web Board
  :)

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for him…" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 05:34:27 PM »

Does anyone have contact details for PACFIC WESTERN as I would like to contact them myself. So if either contact info and web directions would of great help.

It's "Pacific Title." ;)

I included a link to their website in my reply, maybe it was a bit hard to see. Here's a link to their Contacts page:

http://www.pactitle.com/contact_us/

Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 05:52:36 PM »

8) Good font finds, AB! O0  Thanks.

I'm not up to it, but there may be someone online who'd be willing to have a go at making the font.  People have contributed several good movie fonts to the SimplytheBest fonts site:
http://simplythebest.net/fonts/movie_fonts.html

No Tightrope on there, although the Blade Runner font shares similarities (looks better on a while background).

Thanks for the caps and link, KC.  The Pacific site is interesting.
jjdowney

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 01:31:27 PM »

On the subject of finding the fonts. Several emails have been sent and no replies [PACIFIC TITLE STUDIO]. So I am doing my own versions. The picture with "CLINT EASTWOOD" font is nearly done approx 99%. The TIGHTROPE logo is not doing to be done until the other one is done. I did one a okay version years ago. After T2 came out. So I anyone wants that one I offer it. But its my own creation so copyright is being broken. But I would still like to more about this font the one in the titles of the Terminator...Tightrope.
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 12:24:59 AM »

So I am doing my own versions. The picture with "CLINT EASTWOOD" font is nearly done approx 99%. The TIGHTROPE logo is not doing to be done until the other one is done. I did one a okay version years ago. After T2 came out. So I anyone wants that one I offer it. But its my own creation so copyright is being broken.
Cool  8)

Would you mind posting your 2 fonts here when you're finished?  :)

jjdowney

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 06:06:10 AM »

Cool  8)

Would you mind posting your 2 fonts here when you're finished?  :)
Sure, but how do post them? Has anyone else tried contacting PACIFIC TITLE about these fonts?
jjdowney

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 02:01:04 PM »

Hey clint fans

Ive not been here in a long time. But im back...

Does anyone know what happened PACIFIC TITLE's website?

Since my last post a long time ago. I did do a version of the TIGHT ROPE font if anyone wants a peek at it!  ;D

John
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 08:14:41 PM »

Alas, jjdowney, Pacific Title is no longer with us ...  :'(

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118004696?refCatId=13

Posted: Mon., Jun. 8, 2009, 7:36pm PT
Pacific Title & Art Studio to be liquidated
President-CEO says co. unable to get financing
By David S. Cohen

Pacific Title & Art Studio, the 90-year-old Hollywood post-production house, has gone into receivership and will be liquidated.
Pac Title was founded in 1919 by Warner Bros. animation artist Leon Schlesinger and counts among its credits "The Jazz Singer," "Gone With the Wind" and "Ben Hur."

Recent credits include "Terminator Salvation," "Fast and Furious," "Watchmen" and "Gran Torino."

In recent years it had moved into digital post, including visual effects and restoration. It was bought by private equity funds Celerity Partners and Ticonderoga Capital, which felt the company was well positioned to take digital work that would be outsourced by the major studios.

But the company ran into hard times after the new owners dismissed topper Phillip Feiner in 2007. In August of that year he sued for wrongful termination and breach of contract.

Thanks for offering to share your "Tightrope" font. I guess the best way would be for anyone who wants to see it to PM you.  8)

Oh, and you are very welcome back to the Eastwood Web Board!  :)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 11:45:35 AM »

I never noticed that there was a tightrope running across the font in the title before.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 07:12:37 PM »

You know what? Neither did I! Nice find, Matt!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T