News: THE MULE, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood: now on disc and streaming!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Dollars DVDs: Special Editions with extras  (Read 47717 times)
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2005, 01:10:14 AM »

he he..

I have been having a bit of trouble getting to sleep this last week and a half, and have resisted taking sleeping pills (despite the advice of the Doc, and at the expense of my shuteye), so your comments are timely and helpful ;).

But seriously.....   That Bad?

WKC.

Schickel's commentaries are good for one thing: curing insomnia.

Brendan
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2005, 01:14:32 AM »

No, they're probably not that bad but I did find them (the Unforgiven one as well)  pretty boring. I've heard better... a lot better.
Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2005, 01:21:04 AM »

OT:  if you want an excellent directors commentary, listen to Ronin.  If you want a funny Director/Actor commentary, listen to Conan the Barbarian.

WKC.

No, they're probably not that bad but I did find them (the Unforgiven one as well)  pretty boring. I've heard better... a lot better.

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2005, 11:00:56 AM »

John Kirk is wrong. If he is restoring the film for teenagers then he should not be in that important job. He should be overseeing the dvd special edition of Weekend at Bernies!!!

Just my thought.   ::)

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
tekker

"We've all got it comin', kid"

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2005, 11:46:10 AM »

Well, the GBU restoration by John Kirk isn't that bad. Only the sound have a few overblown effects.

But we can only hope that MGM have listened to what people have to say.

Maybe the moderators from this board have contacted MGM....?
Fred

"Danger Seeker"

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2005, 12:15:06 PM »

Fred, can you give us a link for the detailed information you posted about these releases, please?

I found it at this link on the Leone board: Info

I verified it at www.play.com pre-order info

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2005, 12:43:52 PM »

Oh right, the gunshots.

They are getting rid of the overdone gunshot sounds?

WKC.

Well, the GBU restoration by John Kirk isn't that bad. Only the sound have a few overblown effects.

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2005, 01:31:08 PM »

Do people really think this is a good restoration. I seem to remember seeing large amounts of sparkle and at least case of bad water damage.

So it is not just the sound, these marks could be excused from being on the film prints. However with such tools as Scratchbox there is no excuse for any of them to be present on the VT master created for the DVD. I have yet to see the DVD do they bother to talk about any clean up.

I know I have said all this before. This is for newer members.  :(

Philo .

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2005, 01:00:35 AM »

Having had some time to let my memory clear up, I think the misplaced sound I refered to was somebodies speech, sent off to a side speaker, sounding tinny and unnatural, and coming from a completely wrong place given where the actor was on screen. 

WKC.

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2005, 08:14:39 PM »

I spoke to Sir Christopher Frayling on Saturday about his commentaries on the new releases. I have yet to hear them but I can inform you that he recorded them very much prepared.

To say anymore would possibly ruin it. I feel we are in for a treat and could learn a "few" things.

Philo .

KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2005, 08:43:14 PM »

Where did the poncho come from? Where is it now? And what brand of cigars did "the man with no name" smoke? 
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2005, 08:48:54 PM »

All good questions.

We will have to wait and see.  ;)

Philo .

Philo Beddoe Jr
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2005, 10:48:23 PM »

Great,

inspired by Brendan I rewatched Unforgiven a few days back.

I have never thought as much of it as others here, but nonetheless I enjoyed the experience.  Perhaps this is a film I need to mature into.

After watching it I played the Schickel commentary, and yes Brendan, I agree with you :(.

Schickel did little more than give a highly personalised film review, and a very poor one at that, in which he failed (in fact never even attempted) to explain or justify his often extreme and questionable analysis of the plot and the characters.  He also fell into the well known commentary boo boo of just explaining what was happening on the screen, as though we the viewers were mentally retarded and needed help understanding.

I am not in the slightest bit joking when I say that his information on the making of the film was abysmal, and most serious fans of the film would be seriously dissapointed.  I will credit him with two or three interesting comments interspersed throughout his whole 125 minutes of rambling.  Most interesting to me being his statement that Eastwood considers The Outlaw Josey Wales to be the equal of Unforgiven.

Frayling could probably give a better commentary whilst drugged up on sleeping pills.  Heck,  some of the board members here could.

Fortunately the doco's provided on Disk 2 made up a great deal for this poor commentary, with lots of behind the scenes footage and cast interviews, thus providing the saving grace of this DVD's 10th Anniversary Edition status.

WKC.

I spoke to Sir Christopher Frayling on Saturday about his commentaries on the new releases. I have yet to hear them but I can inform you that he recorded them very much prepared.Philo .

Morgoth

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2005, 03:46:52 AM »

I found an early review for the upcoming For a Few Dollars More SE. Unfortunately the review is in French but there is a nice overview of the extra's :) I am most curious of hearing the commentary from Sir Christopher Frayling. Let's hope he has a little more relevant information to share about the film than Schickel with his stories about Leone's art collection for example. ;)
http://www.dvdrama.com/rw_fiche-4833-.php

Looks like we are going to have another "enhanced" soundtrack without the original mono. They also included a DTS track ???, a useless waste of disc space in my opinion they could have better used that for the video bitrate.
I can barely hear the difference between Dolby Digital and DTS on most modern movies, let alone on a 1965 western with very limited dynamics. :P

Some stills from the menu's.

They'd never forget the day he drifted into town.
tekker

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2005, 03:18:34 PM »

Allthough I myself has picked on Schickel and his commentaries on this thread, I must add that I think he does it quite well - especially on Unforgiven - but also on GBU and OUATIA.
Yes, he does tends to say what going on on screen, but give him a break! Most new releases of Leone film are pushing upwards of 3 or 4 hours in lenght. It is a lot of time to talk and comment - especially with Leone's slow narrative.

But hearing Frayling's commentary on OATITW clearly shows that he is the man for commenting on Leone's films...afterall.

Philo, you are close to confirming that Frayling is doing commentary on the upcoming releases? All 3? Let us know when you know more.

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2005, 08:06:30 PM »

Hi Tekker,

Yes he certainly has. He explained what he had used for preparation and I feel you could not have done it better. We will all find out soon I guess.

Philo .

tekker

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2005, 12:34:02 AM »

Thanks, Philo.

Seems that April will be an expensive month in dvd's...hmmm!

One last question, though: Has frayling also done commentary on GBU for a possible new release?

Tekker
tekker

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2005, 02:25:45 AM »

Just found out...

Play.com has added more details for AFOD, FAFDM and DYS...incl. commentary by Frayling, interviews with frayling, interviews with screenwriter Donati and more.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=564897&p=57&g=72
http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=564895&p=57&g=72
http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=564898&p=57&g=72

Looking real good....
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2005, 04:14:13 AM »

Hi Tekker,

Just to confirm he has done all three.

Philo .