News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Dollars DVDs: Special Editions with extras  (Read 53312 times)
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2006, 06:15:18 AM »

I will have to have a closer look.

I must be honest that the the sound of the audio is far more important to me that if it has been moved a few frames. True it is possible it is not the same but that would come under enhancing the original and making it better. Alter the whole thing to something it never was (or should have been) is changing and there is a difference.
Projects I have worked on have been improved on account of tools we now have that no film lab in the world could have used in the 1960's.

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
Grizzled

View Profile Email
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2006, 08:30:34 AM »

Maybe I misinterpreted Grizzled's comments Philo, but it seems that he was saying that the English mono has been 'touched up', with slight alterations to the placing of the dialogue.

WKC.

It does look to me as though some of the dialogue may have been moved a few frames in order to improve its sync with the lip movements of the actors. Philo sounds like the professional in this area so maybe he can give us a definitive answer.  :)

I have an old VHS copy of FAFDM taped off ITV around Xmas 1988 and the lip sync on that is fairly awful. Admittedly this could be a fault with the transmission but my memory of seeing these films on UK TV over nearly three decades is that the lip sync on them was always lousy. In comparison the new German DVD's not only sound better (no hiss, pops or crackle) but they do appear visibly better synced with the actors lip movements.

On my ITV copy the dialogue in that opening scene - when the priest says to Mortimer about the train not stopping at Tucumcari - is wildly out of whack. The equivalent on the DVD isn't perfect but it's much better.

Re the German message boards; I remember the producer responsible for the DVD's saying something about how they'd improved the lip sync. Unfortunately he wasn't any more specific than that. However, as Philo points out you can do things in the electronic/digital domain that would have been unimaginable 10 years ago never mind 40. If the dialogue has been bumped forward or back a couple of frames I don't think that should be a cause for concern. It's no more an act of creative vandalism (unlike those horrible 5.1 mixes) than the painting out of small spots of print damage.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2006, 12:21:42 PM »

If the dialogue has been bumped forward or back a couple of frames I don't think that should be a cause for concern. It's no more an act of creative vandalism (unlike those horrible 5.1 mixes) than the painting out of small spots of print damage.

Grizzled .... Where have you been all these years ??  O0

Great to hear a viewpoint so close to my own.

At last ....

Philo .

mary mary

View Profile Email
« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2006, 12:41:36 PM »

Talking of which, I actually watched A Fistful of Dollars today in 5.1 for the first time, the verdict, bloody horrible. Those explosions are so dull and muffled, what the hell has happened there? ???
The Final with Clint's Dynamite entrance is like a diluted canon fire in the distance, awful.
I'm so glad I decided to retain my mono DVD's of the trilogy.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2006, 12:44:34 PM »

Hi Mary,

GBU is also very bad ....

Cannon effects that were never there, voices panned from left to centre and right .... awful.  >:(

Thanks goodness for the usual German high standards on the first two films.

Philo .

mary mary

View Profile Email
« Reply #165 on: February 08, 2006, 12:48:40 PM »

Hello Philo, I also thought I heard the old undertaker give a "worrying sigh" during the final, which I'm sure is not on the original mono mix?
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #166 on: February 08, 2006, 12:53:06 PM »

It could well be Mary,

I would never listen to the 5.1 unless I had to.

I hope by the time they reach our friends in the USA that the mono will be included. I understand there have been some complaints.

and not just from me !!  ::)

Philo .

mary mary

View Profile Email
« Reply #167 on: February 08, 2006, 01:03:37 PM »

Yes, I agree with you fully Philo. O0
Blondie's Gal

"You have a rendezvous with my ass, [email protected]#ker!"

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2006, 08:30:01 AM »

Damn, and I just recently purchased The Man with No Name box set!

*grumbles*

"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby." ~Tom Servo
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2006, 05:17:39 AM »

I have just finsihed watching the German disc of For a few dollars more and it is certainly the one to buy.

The Mono sound as featured in other posts is a pleasure to hear and you are not distracted by the overblown effects of the 5.1

I will have to check but it seemed a better picture restoration also.

Philo .

icnmedia

Email
« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2006, 04:06:09 PM »

The BIG question is WHEN can WE buy it here in the USA????? I'm counting the days. Can't live without my MWNN fix!!!!
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2006, 06:59:15 PM »

Is there a US date now that HD is launching?

Philo .

icnmedia

Email
« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2006, 09:23:31 PM »

One of you posted in the recent past that it was gonna be released this NOVEMBER (2006).
Does this sound right???
Snake

View Profile Email
« Reply #173 on: May 31, 2006, 07:20:03 PM »

I've been waiting for these DVDs to release here in North America for so long now. I doubt Sony will ever release these two movies on DVD since they will be beginning to push everyone into buying Blu-Ray players :'(

I guess I'll just settle with the barebones DVD which was released in '98 by MGM.

A couple of steps back...
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #174 on: May 31, 2006, 08:05:46 PM »

I can't imagine these films will not be released in the USA.

Philo .

ilconsigliere

View Profile Email
« Reply #175 on: May 31, 2006, 08:22:16 PM »

Hi, guys.

I had to re-register because I only posted something years ago (when Blood Work was released) and I totally forgot username, password, the whole thing.

If you check the Digital Bits, you'll be able to read some interesting news about 20th Century Fox taking care of the MGM DVD releases for Sony...and the possibility about the release of the other two Eastwood westerns.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

A man's got to know his limitations.
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #176 on: May 31, 2006, 08:42:36 PM »

Thanks for the news and welcome back.

I hope this means a release will happen soon. You guys have waited long enough.  :(

Philo .

Snake

View Profile Email
« Reply #177 on: May 31, 2006, 11:44:44 PM »

Hi, guys.

I had to re-register because I only posted something years ago (when Blood Work was released) and I totally forgot username, password, the whole thing.

If you check the Digital Bits, you'll be able to read some interesting news about 20th Century Fox taking care of the MGM DVD releases for Sony...and the possibility about the release of the other two Eastwood westerns.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Well look at that. After checking the Digital Bits weekly for any news concerning these DVDs, some news on these two films is finally posted the second I don't check the site... and just after I made a post saying enough is enough and that I'll be getting the barebones '98 versions :o

This is good news. Hopefully we will see these two DVDs released in North America THIS year ;D

A couple of steps back...
icnmedia

Email
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2006, 05:00:51 AM »

There is absolutely NO reason why they shouldnt release em' here!! Actually, they should of done it  TODAY on Clint's Birthday!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLINT!!! Keep the Beautiful work going!
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2006, 07:30:21 AM »

I wish that link didn't say ...

We do hope that with Fox handling the distribution, we'll FINALLY see those awesome 2-disc special editions of Sergio Leone's Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and Fistful of Dynamite that came out in the U.K. in 2005, but were delayed here in the States due to the Sony takeover.

(Emphasis added.) But some news is better than no news! Thanks, ilconsigliere!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T