News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clint Eastwood autographs: authentic?  (Read 45404 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2006, 08:18:18 AM »

El bueno, thanks for posting that! We're glad to have you back around here!  8)

(For those of you who are using the Mocha "board flavor" like me and find that white text on a "cream" background kind of hard to read ... just click the link El bueno provided.) ;)
callahans44

Go Ahead, Make My Day.

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 12:45:12 PM »

I used to talk with James Spence online few years ago before he started PSA/DNA.  He's a good guy.  He helped me avoid a lot of the scams on eBay and offered his opinion for free provided 1) you didn't bid on the auction yet and 2) the signature in question can be viewed clearly.

But the article el bueno posts does cast doubt on how good PSA/DNA authentication is.  I have some PSA/DNA authenticated items (came with the tag), but don't think they will hold up in court if there is any question.  Perhaps if it is an item that costs thousands of dollars or if their company's reputation is on the line they will.  That's just my opinion.

If you want to get genuine signed items online and are willing to put in the work, you have to have an item that you know is genuine first.  Then you can compare it to the item you want to purchase.  It's similar to verifying someone's signature on their credit card.  There may be some variation, so if that is the case then you'll have to find another item to authenticate it with.  Thus, the expert opinion comes into play.

However, with more recent celebrities, they do not sign items; It's more a scrawl and there are more variations of it, and thus makes it near impossible for anyone to authenticate.  Again, my opinion.

With PSA/DNA, UACC or other authentication that people get, I don't think they pass muster if you really want to be sure.  The dealers that the FBI busted in one of the bigger online frauds were UACC.  They have had problems with the other registered dealers before, too.  So, if you want to pay for their services or go by their authentication, think of it as a second opinion, an expert's opinion, but there is no guarantee the autograph is genuine unless they were there as an eyewitness.

With Clint's autograph, the best way is to get it from him personally.  Second, would be to get someone who has eyewitnessed his signing and you are buying their authentication as well.  Those will stand up in court if there's any question later because they will appear in court with you.  But really the trouble isn't worth it unless you're talking about an item worth thousands of dollars.  That is from talking with a certain FBI agent who is famous for busting fraud on eBay (his opinion).  He told me those are the only two ways he knows you can be assured of getting the real McCoy.

Put Dirty Harry in the IMDB top 250! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066999/ratings
Americanbeauty
Member Extraordinaire

There's a darkness inside all of us ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 06:53:47 PM »

$175

Link

Make-'em-run-around-the-block-howling-in-agony stunning

"He that hath no beard is less than a man, and he that is less than a man, I am not for himÖ" 'Much Ado About Nothing' Act 2, Scene I (William Shakespeare)

http://americanbphotography.tumblr.com/
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2007, 02:02:48 AM »

I don't like that picture of Clint even IF the autograph is authentic.
palooka
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2007, 06:35:08 AM »

Thats a secretarial signature.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
painter man

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 07:50:44 AM »

I don't know what the set up is these days, but back in the pre web stone age day when I ran Clints only fan club, I asked his secretary if Clint signed his own photos and she said categorically, only Clint sent out photos signed by him. So I took that to mean, if you wrote to Malpaso and asked for an autographed photo, was very hit or miss in the early eighties, it would have been a genuine one signed by Clint. His then secretary a lovely lady named Betty Endo, told me in person, she never signed on Clints behalf. I have a few letters signed by Clint and two autographed photos. The first was of me and Clint which I sent to him to sign after my first meeting way back in '79 and the second I held in front of Clint at the White Hunter press screening in Scotland in '90 (the last time I met with Clint). It was the famous Dirty Harry b/w at the quarry. Clint had been signing press kit b/w from WHBH and I had snook into the press conference. As I went in line to get my still signed, I placed it on the table in front of Clint and when he saw it was DH he looked up and I said Hi Clint could you personalise it to Dave please, he smiled and said, I know your name...neat huh. I then asked the Warner rep to take a photo of me with Clint which he was fine with, although his security guard at first refused. Happy days.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 07:53:32 AM »

Dave??? THE Dave??? Dave Turner of the CEAS?

Welcome to the Web Board! :)
painter man

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2007, 05:30:24 AM »

Yep KC. I was that man... ;D
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2007, 06:17:05 AM »

Yes Welcome to the board.     I have the first 9 or so CEAS magazines and I treasure them.   Great to have the instigator of them near enough to talk to.   ;)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2007, 07:28:23 AM »

Dave actually posted once before, a year ago (in the CEAS thread) ... hope he'll be around a bit more frequently in the future! :)
painter man

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2007, 05:28:14 PM »

Thanks Lin and KC, I get a kick now and again checkin in on the old guy, and some of the 'kids' I work with nowadays still think it was cool that CE actually bought me and my wife dinner at the Hog back in the 'halycon' days. I actually sold all my original '44 Magnum', 'Eastwood' and 'Clint' fanzines to one of the last members of the CEAS when I finished compiling it in '98. But a 20 year run before Cal launched this great web site wasn't bad going for a weekend and evenings hobby eh! The 'Clint Eastwood Appreciation Society' archives, I guess you'd call them, are stored in a true current fans home in Northern Ireland these days. Still have a few 'Hero Cop' editions and my great friend Mal Bakers , FOD and DH sketches.
As I mentioned on the Collectors forum earlier though, I wish Clint would have made something like 'Into the West' with Spielberg rather than a war movie. My nod goes to Costner for 'Open Range', how great would Clint be in a part as played by Duval who himself had been in Clints' 'Joe Kidd'. Whom I always believed was the FOD bounty hunter in retirement.....but that was another story in a magazine long long ago and far far away...nice recalling those memories, cheers guys. O0
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2007, 03:14:29 AM »

Here's another surely faked autograph for sale on eBay.  They all look too similar and at only £9.99!!!! :o

LINK
El bueno

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2007, 07:25:20 AM »

Yes indeed, most of those signatures are signed in the same hand, or signed by 2 people at best.  Itís a gag!

philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2007, 05:29:47 AM »

How about this El Bueno .....

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
El bueno

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2007, 08:09:25 AM »

This one is a forgery
================================================================================

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLINT-EASTWOOD-Autographed-Photo-Thank-You-Card-2-items_W0QQitemZ290091727957QQcategoryZ32988QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and this is secretarial

El bueno

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2007, 08:16:24 AM »

How about this El Bueno .....

Philo .

===============================================================================

Now this is something special considering what Clint signed
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 08:18:06 AM by El bueno » Logged
El bueno

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2007, 03:20:17 AM »

Please read as this is important: just wanted to know if any of the members on this site have purchased any autographs from the eBay seller: Autographczar ? If you have I would like you to send me a PM ASAP. Thanks
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 09:44:47 AM by El bueno » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2007, 07:50:59 AM »

El bueno, now I have to ask, like Google ...

Did you mean: Autographczar  ?
El bueno

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2007, 09:49:57 AM »

El bueno, now I have to ask, like Google ...

Did you mean: Autographczar  ?

Yes I meant Autographczar , there was a typo in my original post that I have now corrected.  Another is bpol4auto
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 09:52:47 AM by El bueno » Logged
El bueno

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2007, 10:26:57 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300094906093&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

Don't bid on this, all 3 signatures are obvious forgeries, it was signed by somebody, but not Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach or Lee Van Cleef.  The worst thing is that it is @ US $290.00
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T