News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PLAY MISTY FOR ME: Audience Reaction: 5. Your Favorite/Least Favorite Scene  (Read 5159 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 02, 2003, 09:15:41 PM »

Discuss the scene you liked the most in the film. Also, which scene was your least favorite, or the one that you felt was the least effective?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2003, 08:32:46 PM by Matt » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 12:11:13 PM »

One of my favorite scenes is when Evelyn attacks Birdie. That is a very effective scene.

Then, the love scene with Dave and Tobie is great as well. Probably the most beautiful love scene I've ever seen in a movie, period.

Overall, this whole movie has always worked for me, so I can't think of anything that I'd call a "least favorite scene."
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 04:48:22 PM »

Probably my favorite scene is where Evelyn shows up at lunch when Dave is meeting with Madge Brenner.  "Is that your idea of a dish?!"  Whew... :o

And the following scene where Dave throws Evelyn into the taxi and the way she reaches out to Dave (which I'm honoring this week with my Evatar) is just probably the greatest part of the film for me.  Kinda makes you drop your jaw and go, "Ohhhhh man!"  And when Dave says "Get her outta here, man!"  Well, you know it's not over yet... it's just getting worse by the minute.

Unlike Christopher (as he and a few members already know from old posts of mine), I really didn't like the love scene, or the Monterey Jazz Festival scenes.  I have to side with the critics this time... and say that they were too long and interrupted the story just too much.  Either one would make a great music video, but not in the middle of this film.  Just too damn long.  

On another note, if I was watching this movie as intended in a theater, and I was only going to see the film one time (not a dozen times at home) then it would be fine... once.  But once is all I need to see of these two scenes.  So every time after that, it just gets forwarded past.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2003, 05:05:47 PM by Matt » Logged
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2003, 05:11:44 PM »

I suppose if one of those two musical scenes in the movie was going to be trimmed down a little, I would say the Jazz festival would do. If it was trimmed down a little (just a little), I don't think it would take anything away. But I'm sure it was pretty cool for some of those people there at the festival, if they knew they ended up in a movie.
Joey

Sally knows only too well...

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2003, 10:12:24 PM »

My favourite scene would have to be when Evelyn is carted away in the taxi. The way she rambled on in an almost gibberish language made me laugh, reminded me of the death scene of Max Cady in Cape Fear.

The Monterey Jazz Festival seemed out of place in the movie, and definately went on for too long. I can understand with Clint's love of jazz that he couldn't miss the oppurtunity to utilise the festival  during the shoot, but it didn't really aid the story in any way. Still, it was his directorial debut so he can be forgiven for experimenting a little.  
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2003, 11:36:56 AM »

There are so many .....

I really find creepy the loving small talk of Dave and Tobie on the beach and the pan up to Evelyn not even looking , just staring straight ahead in the woods .

again simple , great stuff .

Philo .
« Last Edit: March 12, 2003, 11:37:16 AM by philo » Logged

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
badguy

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2003, 05:27:41 PM »

It’s hard to choose, there’s many good ones in this film, but if I have to…my favourite scene would have to be the first time Dave meets Evelyn, the game Dave and Murphy play to get her attention…I always enjoy watching that. And the dialogue ending with Evelyn saying “I ought to be mad”…”But you’re not?”…”Not really”. I love the irony of that last statement, ‘cause very soon after that it becomes clear that she is just slightly mad.

Least favourite…I really could have done without seeing Dave’s hand sliding along the blade in the final confrontation with Evelyn.
Generally, I’m never too keen on seeing blood and guts on the screen. The two “slashing” scenes in the film are not really that gory and they fit well with the story and everything, but I just can’t “enjoy” them and end up looking away (the wimp that I am).
bcm

Not all those who wander are lost

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2003, 11:44:32 AM »

Thanks badguy for your post. I am a whimp as well :) So I have the same opinion than you on the "slashing scenes".  And I even have to turn down the volume, because the yell Evelyn makes at every attack is just too much for my weak nerves...

And I liked the scene they first meet for the same reason than you do. What a great irony ;)

"He wondered what the man's name was and where he was from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home: and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace" Sam, TTT, written by JRR Tolkien, 1954
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2003, 12:00:43 PM »

;D Can you imagine watching those slashing scenes in a theater with the big screen and the volume pumped way up?   Since I flinch when Dave grabs the blade of the knife, I bet that would be absolutely wild in the theater.  But... even though it makes me flinch, I like it.  I like just the amount that's shown... any more than that would be too much.
bcm

Not all those who wander are lost

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2003, 02:51:14 PM »

;) Hey Matt

If you want me to go and watch a movie like this in the theatre, you better be ready to hold me, because I'd be scared and need some REALLY strong soulder ;) ;D

"He wondered what the man's name was and where he was from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home: and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace" Sam, TTT, written by JRR Tolkien, 1954
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2003, 02:55:46 PM »

How long a flight is it to your part of Europe? ;)

(Laughing at how quickly it took for me to jump on that... How many minutes? )
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2003, 03:48:07 PM »

I can be squeamish, but it takes a lot of gore to get me there. But having said that, Dave's hand touching that blade does make me flinch a little. It just looks so painful. :o
I do like that part of the movie, though. Eastwood never gets real graphic with the violence in his movies, for the most part, yet it's still very effective.
Xichado
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2003, 03:43:35 PM »

Least Favorite Scene: The festival scene because it seems to be some leftover footage from the Monterey Pop Festival Film and it does seems to be out of place as mentioned in the posts above.

Favorite Scene: The bedroom scene when Evelyn tries to kill Dave.

"I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." Carl Sandburg
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2003, 07:36:02 PM »

Thanks, everyone! This thread is now locked.  Please post any additional thoughts you have on this topic in the General Discussion forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T