News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PLAY MISTY FOR ME: Audience Reaction: 4. Your Overall Reaction  (Read 2927 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 02, 2003, 09:16:25 PM »

Discuss your overall feelings about Play Misty for Me. Did you like it? Why, or why not? Did you feel it was a realistically written and portrayed story of psychotic obsession?
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 12:20:26 PM »

Yes, yes, and yes. I would almost always have to include Misty in my top ten list for Eastwood movies. I feel that the movie does handle Evelyn in a realistic way. The most sane of us can become obsessed about things to the point that it's all we ever think about, but to a person who is mentally unstable, as Evelyn obviously is, it becomes a dangerous situation. Whenever we hear about obsessed fans stalking celebrities, we know how serious this would be.
Daisy Abigael

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 01:07:40 PM »

I found this an extraordinarily taut and realistic thriller.  It is a mature movie, a grown up movie.  Not out of place with other - more often praised - works of the same era.  I think it is under-estimated critically and there is only one reason for that:  it starred and was directed by Eastwood!

An absolute revelation when first viewed after the spaghettis and the action stuff.

Daisy Girl!
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 12:29:03 AM »

I found this an extraordinarily taut and realistic thriller.  It is a mature movie, a grown up movie.  Not out of place with other - more often praised - works of the same era.  I think it is under-estimated critically and there is only one reason for that:  it starred and was directed by Eastwood!

An absolute revelation when first viewed after the spaghettis and the action stuff.

I've got nothing to add to that!   :)  I grew up with the movie, and even so as I watched it last night, taking notes along the way, it still affects me.  It always does.  But not in a cheap way, but because the action is realistic, and the story perfectly constructed.  

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
badguy

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2003, 12:13:05 PM »

I’ve always liked it, but having watched it again last week (3rd or 4th time) I think I like it twice as much now! Jessica Walter and Clint play their characters really well and the story is more than believable.

Looking through the discussion in this forum, and also through the bonus materials on the dvd, I can appreciate many different aspects of the film a lot more than before.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2003, 12:31:38 PM »

Looking through the discussion in this forum...I can appreciate many different aspects of the film a lot more than before.
Very true. I've learned a lot about the movie by reading through these threads.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2003, 12:32:11 PM by Christopher » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2003, 01:43:57 PM »

Thanks, Christopher! That's what we moderators hoped to accomplish when we started these discussions.
Gant
Member Extraordinaire

You gotta be durable...real durable. Most ain't

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2003, 02:23:55 PM »

I agree with all the above.. I remember enjoying this film as a kid when it first appeared on tv.. but now years later I enjoy it more with every viewing. I think Clint is terrific in the role of D.G and Jessica Walter is superb.. very frightening and very real. One of the all time scariest characters in movies. This film also has one thing that I always look for in any movie. Originality. It's been copied since, but it remains a true original.. A rarity these days.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2003, 12:47:04 AM by Gant » Logged

Borderline burnout with questionable social skills
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2003, 08:02:13 PM »

Thanks, everyone! This thread is now locked.  Please post any additional thoughts you have on this topic in the General Discussion forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T