News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cricket Thread  (Read 49318 times)
little_bill
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2007, 11:51:51 PM »

Eh, I know very little about rugby, especially your rugby league. I know just a little something something about AFL so its why I asked. Anyways....
i love AFL it follows the irish lines of decendancy over in australia, it seems those more linked to the british forefathers are into rugby and cricket while the irish descendants like AFL (which is very like gaelic football)
not that thats a complete generalisation in any way ;D

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.- Groucho Marx
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

All on account of pulling a trigger.

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2007, 02:49:51 AM »

AUSTRALIA won an historic third successive World Cup this morning, but not before celebrating prematurely as the tournament's troubled run ended in complete farce.

With three overs left in the match,  reduced to 38 overs-a-side because of rain, Sri Lanka's batsmen were offered the light and accepted, sparking wild celebrations from the Australia players.

But after whoops of delight and much prancing around, Ricky Ponting's men were told the game wasn't over after all, and after a long discussion with umpires Aleem Dar and Steve Bucknor, as well as off-field officials, play continued in near darkness.

It was an appalling way to finish a tournament that has been pilloried for its excessive length and lack of depth, and the International Cricket Council will have much to ponder in the four years between now and the next tournament on the sub-continent

The biggest shame is that Australia historic moment, and a performance of sheer class from Adam Gilchrist, will be forgotten as a result of a quite ludicrous finale.

Foxsports

"Winners are simply willing to do what losers won't."
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2007, 04:18:00 AM »

Shame about the finish, but congratulations to the Aussies. O0  You deserve it.
Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2007, 06:37:37 PM »

How long is the cricket season in Aussie?

"Reality continues to ruin my life" - Calvin
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2007, 06:42:31 PM »

G'Day Alcy.

The domestic season, where all the states play against one another in four day and one day matches usually starts in September/October and finishes in March.

The international matches against other countries start in November and finish in February.

Summer down here is your winter.

Alcatraz
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2007, 06:47:51 PM »

G'Day Alcy.

Lesse, it should be close to 12 noon over the right? Good afternoon then.

The domestic season, where all the states play against one another in four day and one day matches usually starts in September/October and finishes in March.

The international matches against other countries start in November and finish in February.

Oh ok. Thanks for telling me.  :)

Summer down here is your winter.

I knew that, but thanks.  O0

"Reality continues to ruin my life" - Calvin
Lilly
Member Extraordinaire

"If she looks back..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2007, 04:50:57 AM »

One of the reasons (excuses?) given by some for the recent poor performances of the England team is that we often play longer with fewer breaks than most other countries.  The majority of teams are based in the southern hemisphere, so we play a long domestic season in our summer, only to launch into a heavy international season in our winter.  Of course it works the other way when teams come here to play internationals in their own winter time, but not as much. 

Personally, I think we suffer more from a lack of proper cricket in state schools.
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2007, 02:26:29 PM »

Hey Lilly,

How strong is English County cricket? I know a few of our players play in it during our off season.

Our Sheffield Shield or Pura Milk Cup as it's now known is often described as the toughest domestic competition in the world,so when players graduate from that to the Australian test team,it isn't a huge step up.

I was just wondering does county cricket offer the same tough competition for the players before they step up for England.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2010, 01:14:10 AM »

I know the Ashes is still a few months away but I'm sure all the English cricket fans are licking their lips after seeing Australia's batting performance against Pakistan a couple of days ago.

Of course this will just get the Poms hopes up and when they come down under in November, the usual floggings will take place and Australia will recapture the little urn. O0

TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2010, 08:45:55 AM »

Of course this will just get the Poms hopes up and when they come down under in November, the usual floggings will take place and Australia will recapture the little urn. O0

;D ;D ;D

Kid, will you be going to Fifth Test in Sydney 8)
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2010, 04:48:58 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Kid, will you be going to Fifth Test in Sydney 8)

No, unfortunately my days of going ang getting abused by drunken hoons who spoil a good day are long gone. :(

I sit back in the SK Stand now and enjoy it, hassle free.

The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2010, 03:29:28 AM »

I really hope anyone found guilty of match fixing international cricket matches are banned for life. If the ICC pussyfoot's around and just hands out a slap on the wrists to the guilty parties then cricket will suffer, and every result from now on will always come into question.

There is no place for it in any sport and the sooner they're removed from the sport the better.

Southern cat
Member Extraordinaire

The Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2010, 03:37:05 AM »

Agreed but I hate all this waiting for the media conformation and all the bull@##t.

We end up losing face with the media and others because someone wants to make a buck....but we don't know the facts!!!

In the end it stains the sport.
Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2010, 05:14:07 AM »

I have always thought of cricket as tamper proof and feel this is really bringing it into disrepute.  I guess the facts will come out in time but the ICC always take so long to sort anything out.
TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2010, 09:19:28 AM »

If no one will make a drastic decision in any Sport, on people who cheat, I think it will carry on for ever and ever.

I agree with you SK, If any players are found guilty of cheating, these players should be banned from cricket for life. I would also ban the team for 12 months.

No Sport is tamper proof, It happens in Horse racing, Football, Snooker and so on.

I was sick to the teeth with what happened in F1 with Alonso and Massa, a few weeks back!

We all just want to watch the sport and not get lost in all this political garbage!

Too many Sports persons are more interested in the size of their bank balance and not their achievements on the field of play! >:(

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2010, 10:47:58 AM »

No Sport is tamper proof, It happens in Horse racing, Football, Snooker and so on.

I guess you are right 2M

I was sick to the teeth with what happened in F1 with Alonso and Massa, a few weeks back

Me too, Gary is still talking about it.

We all just want to watch the sport and not get lost in all this political garbage!
Too many Sports persons are more interested in the size of their bank balance and not their achievements on the field of play! >:(

Exactly 2M.    I also agree that players found cheating should be banned for life.  
The Schofield Kid
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2010, 02:45:23 PM »

This may take it away from being a cricket thread but in my opinion, a lot of the trouble with sport these days is gambling. When I was a kid, all you could gamble on was horse racing. I suppose there were underground places where you could bet on sport, but in the main it was confined to the horses, trots or dogs.

Now betting on sport is so wide spread it's ridiculous. It's not just betting on the final result, you can bet on just about anything. Half time score, total points in a match, first try scorer etc, etc. It's absurd.

There's an investigation going on down here about a rugby league player with a gambling problem who may have placed a bet on the first points in a game being a penalty goal. Two minutes into the game, this player gave a penalty away 10 metres out from his own goal line in front of the posts. What he didn't take into account was the other team didn't take a kick and played on and scored a try instead.

Maybe it's always been happening in sport and I'm just naive, but I think it's sad that this is sport in the 21st century.  :(

TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2010, 08:12:25 AM »

England will name their squad tomorrow for the Ashes Series.

It looks like we won't be getting any free highlights on TV this year. The Australian Cricket Board have been unable to agree a highlights deal with a terrestrial network, this means Sky Sports will be showing all the live coverage plus all the highlights. The last highlights from the last Ashes in Australia were shown on the BBC. :(

Lin Sunderland

Email
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2010, 10:22:39 AM »

It looks like we won't be getting any free highlights on TV this year. The Australian Cricket Board have been unable to agree a highlights deal with a terrestrial network, this means Sky Sports will be showing all the live coverage plus all the highlights. The last highlights from the last Ashes in Australia were shown on the BBC. :(

That is a shame because I only have terrestrial TV.  Will just have to listen to the coverage on BBC Radio 4 Long Wave.  :(

TWOMULES

Email
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2010, 10:49:45 AM »

This is England's 16-man squad for the Ashes tour.

Ashes squad:

Andrew Strauss (capt, Middlesex)    Alastair Cook (vice-capt) (Essex)    James Anderson (Lancashire)    Ian Bell (Warwickshire)    Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire)

Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)        Paul Collingwood (Durham)       Steven Davies (wkt) (Surrey)       Steven Finn (Middlesex)    Eoin Morgan (Middlesex)

Monty Panesar (Sussex)                 Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire)        Matt Prior (wkt) Sussex)        Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire)    Chris Tremlett (Surrey)

Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire)

Chris Tremlett and Monty Panesar have both been recalled for Ashes. England captain Andrew Strauss believes the squad is capable of defending the Ashes, which they won 2-1 on home soil last year. :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 10:54:01 AM by TWOMULES » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T