News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PLAY MISTY FOR ME: Style & Technique: 8. Aerial Photography and Landscape Shots  (Read 2685 times)
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 02, 2003, 09:19:32 PM »

The aerial photography was done by Jack Green. This is the first time Green would work on an Eastwood film. Not long after Misty, Green would become camera operator at Malpaso and was eventually promoted to cinematographer, in which capacity he would earn an Academy Award nomination for his work in Unforgiven. What do you think of Green's work in this film?

Bruce Surtees was cinematographer, and seemed to capture a lot of the beauty of Carmel. Some critics felt there was too much attention paid to the landscapes and aerial shots; while others hailed the film for exactly those qualities. What is your opinion? Did watching the film give you an appreciation for the beauty of Carmel? How does this add to the enjoyment of the film?
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2003, 05:56:43 PM »

I like the aerial and landscape shots. It does show the beauty of Carmel. It's not like these shots distract us from the movie's storyline, so I don't see a problem in it. If anything, it makes the movie look really great.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 11:07:00 PM »

The shots create a consistent visual style, and contrasts well with the suffocating situation that Dave finds himself in.  The various shots of the sea and coastal area also ties in with Poe's "Annabel Lee" poem Evelyn recites to Dave near the end.  I really like the look of the movie.  It amazes me that the style is criticized.

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2003, 11:13:26 PM »

Evelyn only recited two lines (slightly altered) from the poem, but since it's one of the most familiar American poems ever penned, it's likely it resonated with sea-associations for most spectators.
Doug
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

"May I make a suggestion..."

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 11:56:40 PM »

I meant from which Evelyn recites, of course.  My mistake. Yes, her "version" would shatter the rhyme that Poe worked to create.  ;) But when Dave looks up the poem most viewers, even if it's been decades since they've seen the poem, would probably catch the line: In a kingdom by the sea.  Of course, in a way it doesn't matter, because it is what one might term "sub-text."

"Yes, well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of a park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's my policy."  Frank Drebin, Police Squad.
DirtyDuffy45

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2003, 12:04:47 AM »

Look this movie was made before I was even born and all I can say is damn! Clint knew what he was doin making his directorial debut huh?  Amazing the film is great one I watch a lot! I give it 10!
philo
Member Extraordinaire

"Slightly advanced"

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2003, 11:33:09 AM »

I love the opening titles , assured is the word . You could have easily sped things up concerned with the pacing . No it was fine and what great locations . I also love that Green font .

Philo .

"I won't be hitting you with my face"
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2003, 08:09:09 PM »

Thanks, everyone! This thread is now locked.  Please post any additional thoughts you have on this topic in the General Discussion forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T