News: Having trouble registering?  Please feel free to contact us at help[at]clinteastwood.org.  We will help you get an account set up.

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PLAY MISTY FOR ME: The Story: 8. The Climax  (Read 9621 times)
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 02, 2003, 09:34:08 PM »

What do you think of the final, climactic scene at Tobie's house? Were you satisfied with the ending or did it leave you with any questions you would have liked answered? If this were a true story, what would you expect to come of Dave and Tobie's relationship after this?
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 09:00:25 AM »

The very end of the film, when Dave punches Evelyn and sends her over the balcony to her death, seems too abrupt and maybe just a little unsatisfactory.

I do, however, like that the film doesn't attempt to tie up all its loose ends.
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 09:50:43 AM »

I'm glad they didn't try to make the ending too gimicky (for lack of a better word). They didn't end it like some horror movie, but ended it in a more simple way. I think Evelyn being punched off the balcony is all right.
I have wondered why Evelyn didn't try to stab Dave, rather than hitting him with the knife, and giving him some cuts. I mean, it works and it's effective, but if you wanted to kill somebody with a knife, wouldn't you try to stab them instead of flinging the knife all around?

But in short, I do like the ending. I think as is, this story could pass as a true story. It seems believeable, right down to what I mentioned above.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2003, 09:46:43 PM »

I have wondered why Evelyn didn't try to stab Dave, rather than hitting him with the knife, and giving him some cuts. I mean, it works and it's effective, but if you wanted to kill somebody with a knife, wouldn't you try to stab them instead of flinging the knife all around?
Chris, I never thought of that before, but to me the answer is obvious. She doesn't want to kill him ... just make him suffer, feel something like the pain she's feeling. If he can't feel it emotionally, she'll see to it that he feels it physically.

As I was typing that, I remembered there's another character in an Eastwood film who acts similarly under the stress of what the character experiences as an abject humiliation in a sexual relationship. Anyone know who I mean?
Matt
Global Moderator
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2003, 10:08:08 PM »

Ms. Martha's "castration" of McBurney's leg in The Beguiled?  :o
« Last Edit: March 12, 2003, 10:08:58 PM by Matt » Logged
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2003, 10:35:38 PM »

:o Nope, though that's not a bad guess ...
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2003, 08:32:09 AM »

:)KC - are you referring to Liesl (Sonia Braga) from The Rookie?

mgk
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2003, 10:12:00 AM »

Nope ... Liesl only threatens, she doesn't actually cut, does she? And if anyone is being humiliated here, isn't it Pulovski?

Here's  a clue: Think blood ... lots of it. And perhaps "relationship" isn't quite the right word here, maybe "encounter" would be better.

mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2003, 11:38:44 AM »

:) How about Delilah (Anna Levine) from Unforgiven?  The one on the right, of course.

mgk
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2003, 11:48:37 AM »

Hmm, he looks kinda like her now?  :o

You gots it, mg! Delilah laughed at Quick Mike's teensy little pecker, and that's what she got for it.

What do you think of the comparison to the climax of Misty? Anyone?
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2003, 12:09:16 PM »

Oh yeah, I see what you're saying now. The cowboy cuts Delilah up for the sake of cutting her up, make her feel pain. Same way Evelyn does to Dave.
AKA23
Classic Member
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2003, 05:21:39 PM »

I wasn't particularly satisfied with the climactic scene, but I wasn't particulary dissatisfied, either. It seemed to be a bit rushed, a bit forced. Everything seems to kind of come together too quickly, and after the development of some of the earlier parts of the film, I felt that that was a bit dissapointing. It all seemed a bit too predictable as well.
MC

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2003, 09:20:48 AM »

Would a more devastasting ending have been better? What if Dave was unable to save Tobie, and she was killed?

Or if Evelyn committed suicide?

Or if Evelyn killed Tobie and then committed suicide, leaving both dead when Dave arrived?

Ultimately, Dave winds up redeemed, with Evelyn dead and the path clear for a happy relationship between himself and Tobie.

But would a darker, less commercial ending, with Dave paying a brutal price for his past dalliances with women, been more appropriate?

I'm not sure, but it's interesting to consider...
Christopher
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2003, 02:43:19 PM »

That certainly is something to consider. It would certainly be out of most anybody's expectations from the movie if it'd had a much darker ending like that.
I don't think Evelyn commiting suicide would have worked, since we'd seen her try that earlier.
But had Tobie been killed, that would have taken away the "happy" ending. I don't know if it would have worked any better.
DirtyDuffy45

I'm a llama!

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2003, 11:14:06 AM »

Love the climax I mean how many movies have you seen where Clint knocks a chick out.  He doesnt hesitate if he knows he flows.  The audience just loves that.  If it works for ya it works for ya.  Going back to the climax the ending was just put together so great right when shes shown floating on the water the track replays the song and he says this one is especially for Evelyn beautiful work.
bcm

Not all those who wander are lost

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2003, 03:01:09 PM »

The climax is pretty predictable, even for a person never watching thrillers (normally ;)). I think a darker end, as MC suggest, would leave the audience more shocked, more thinking. I actually don't really understand, why Evelyn doesn't kill or hurt Tobie. She cuts her hair, saying: I hope Dave is gonna like what he sees, because that's what he's gonna take to hell with him. Why didn't she revenge on Tobie, being as jealous as she is?

"He wondered what the man's name was and where he was from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home: and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace" Sam, TTT, written by JRR Tolkien, 1954
mgk
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2003, 08:25:22 PM »

Thanks, everyone! This thread is now locked.  Please post any additional thoughts you have on this topic in the General Discussion forum.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T