News: Now showing in theaters: CRY MACHO, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ: Early primetime tv showing  (Read 1772 times)
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« on: May 04, 2006, 09:46:45 AM »

Maybe my memory is not great for about 27 years ago but I remember about several weeks before starting 2nd grade in late summer of 1979, I remember watching Escape From Alcatraz on primetime tv. I remember this because my mother had my future 2nd grade teacher over for dinner that night. I remember this because they were trying to talk to me while I was watching the film. I guess I did see that before watching Bronco Billy at the theatre. It was so long ago man.
Was it a common thing for a big hollywood film to appear on tv so soon back then? I am sure this was in 79.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
mary mary

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 04:15:58 PM »

Hello Richard, (I would guess) Highly unlikely it was Escape from Alcatraz  but there was quite a good and well respected film (made for TV) around that time in 1980 Alcatraz The Whole Shocking Story which featured Ed Leuter as Frank Morris, I seem to recall Telly Savalas also starred.
KC
Administrator
Member Extraordinaire

Control ...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 05:09:03 PM »

Thanks for finally answering this, mary mary. According to the IMDb, Alcatraz: The Whole Shocking Story was first shown on TV on November 5, 1980. If Richard Earl is really remembering a showing from the summer of '79, it would seem unlikely that this was the one.

For the record, the name of the actor who played Morris is spelled Lauter, and the IMDb does indeed list Savalas among the cast (as well as Jim Haynie, who played Richard in The Bridges of Madison County).

Escape from Alcatraz was released on June 22, 1979, and I agree with mary mary that it's highly unlikely that it would have been shown on TV that summer (or even that year).

Anyone have any other suggestions for Richard Earl? Richard, are you sure it was your second grade teacher? ;)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 07:55:56 PM by KC » Logged
Richard Earl
Member Extraordinaire

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 07:47:30 PM »

Maybe my memory is going in my old age of 34 ;D but I remember watching Clint specifically in Escape From Alcatraz. It might have been the next year but I  do remember it. I could have sworn it was in 79 but if it did not get released until June of that year , I would agree that it would not be on prime time so soon after.

Music speaks louder then words. It's the only thing that the whole world listens to. (Peter, Paul & Mary)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

C L I N T E A S T W O O D . N E T